#41 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Fascinating topic!

I'm a lone flyer so it's kinda a mute subject at the moment but is there an app, either Apple or Android that could allow for this over Bluetooth?

The caller could have "master option" allowing them to only transmit, while the others in the group could have "slave option" allowing them to only receive.

Also the option of having the "master" to select the song for the routine to be transmitted with optional fade controls on the "slaves" to control the sound level of both signals.

AND both have the option of diving the signals to separate channels of left and right. Calls in left and music in right.

All done using mobile phone technology.

If there's not, well there should be!

Just a thought.

G'day, my name's Rob and I'm a Revoholic. Help yourself to what's in my bag.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#42 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Ohhhhh, sweet idea. :)

Any iPhone app designers in the house?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#43 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ohhhhh, sweet idea. :)

Any iPhone app designers in the house?

Try Wayne Fu. I don't think he is on this forum. He works at Apple and may have a clue.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#44 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

There are LOTS of walkie talkie apps in the android store, but someone needs to research to see which one would be best. There are versions that use data, and others that are blue tooth. For Verizon customers, the data type would be problematic at this time, due to Verizon not having data capable towers in the Long Beach WA area.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#45 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've been looking through the iphone apps, and I'm not getting much luck. It looks like all the bluetooth apps will only work between two devices. The others either work of a wifi network (LAN) or through the internet using wifi or 3/4g(WAN). The LAN apps might work if one person on the team can create a mobile hotspot and have everyone tether off of their phone. The WAN apps, I think would work without a problem so long as everyone has a decent internet connection. And in that scenario, we could even use something like Ventrilo or Team Speak.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#46 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

So now a smartphone is going to be required equipment for team flying, huh? :)

#47 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

I've found "Walkie Talkie Standard" in the app store BUT the talk button is momentary. I was transmitting to 3 other iPhones and had an effective range of about 12 meters (40 feet). The transmission was mono through both earbuds.

WiFi option; I have a wifi dongle that can connect up-to 5 devices but have heard of some that do 7.

Low tech option; Build a FM bug, the type from electronics stores as a kit that kids use to spy on, and a couple of those pocket FM receivers. The bug starts transmitting the moment it is switched on and provides a constant signal. Could even, with a little research, purchase the kits and radios from another country that uses a different part of the frequency spectrum to eliminate RFI.

OR make it part of the demo that the spectators can "tune in" to the call. Give them that extra element of being part of the performance.

Rob.

G'day, my name's Rob and I'm a Revoholic. Help yourself to what's in my bag.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#48 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hmm, as I understand Bluetooth (with a little help from Wikipedia):

Bluetooth has nothing to do with WiFi (except sharing RF band space) or internet connection.

The idea of Bluetooth was to connect a device, say a mouse or a headphone set, directly and wirelessly to a servicing device, say a computer or a cell phone. It is intended for short distances only - like 1 or 10 meters, or with high power devices 100 meters MAXIMUM (call a meter a yard+ and you can see the distance is problematic.)

My experiences:
a. Bluetooth mouse to laptop - works great.
b. Bluetooth headset to cell phone (to play MP3s on cell phone to headset) - depends on which side of the body the cell phone is located.
c. Bluetooth "hands-free" in an auto, to cell phone - works fine within the confines of a vehicle.

Generally Bluetooth is a one-to-one link. However, there is a provision in the spec for "broadcast" to up to 7 slaves (a "piconet"). OK for teams of 8, but lacking in general usability (e.g. mega-fly grids). And the question of equipment - I am ignorant about how programmable the Bluetooth features of a typical cell phone is are - but I am not optimistic about piconet abilities.

Hey, don't feel bad about suggesting it! My training as a engineer makes me naturally critical of ideas - sometimes too much so. Part of the process of sorting out the possible for the merely interesting. (And usually missing the real game changing ideas.) :kid_frustrated:

I was contemplating suggesting an FM wireless microphone for the captain, and any MP3 players with FM radio reception capability for the team members. Unfortunately, I think the 100 ft maximum range allowed for these devices by the FCC makes this idea also impractical. Sigh. :kid_frustrated:

John, Terry, and Katrina have certainly demonstrated that FRS radios can perform continuous transmissions if forced to (except for some brands/models that specifically limit broadcast time.) And FRS has a range that easily covers an entire performance or even festival area. On the other side of that coin, FRS was not intended for continuous transmission. More like: "Joe, see deer?", "Roger, Roger!", "Where is Mark?", "Bang.", "Ow!" :kid_smartass:.

Now I think I have seen some cell phones that advertise "Walkie-Talkie" mode of use. I don't know if they are using direct unit-to-unit communication or if they are using a cell-phone transmission relay system. And again, "Walkie-talkie" mode of use is assumed to be short transmissions and long reception periods.

I am inclined to think there should be a better solution, short of Amateur Radio licenses for all the team leaders. :P
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#49 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

So now a smartphone is going to be required equipment for team flying, huh? :)

The radios we used at the boot camp seemed to work just fine. I'm for staying with them as many fliers already have them. If the leaders turn the radios off except while actually flying, the batteries seem to last quite a long time.

Many of us do have smart phones, however many don't, and that would be a large commitment for some.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#50 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

For anyone needing a no frills, economical set of radios, Chuck Wiley recommended the midland lxt114 set. He said they worked just fine, no issues.  They take a standard ipod-type set of headphones, mono only.  I've seen them for around $20 online.  He said they are being replaced by the lxt118 model. 

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#51 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

FYI guys, if any of you are buying radios (or anything Amazon, like TVs, clothes, etc) and want to help support Kitelife in the process, we have an affiliate account with them...

Going into Amazon through this link will give you EXACTLY the same prices and shopping experience, but a small % will go directly to Kitelife. ;)

Even if you start browsing other products or whatever, Amazon will credit us with anything you buy on that visit.

If you like - just figured I'd throw it out there, sorry it took me so long. :)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#52 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Going into Amazon through this link will give you EXACTLY the same prices and shopping experience, but a small % will go directly to Kitelife. ;)

All right, will do! Just one thing--do we need to always come back here and click on the link to make this work? I had thought of course to just add the link my toolbar, but it just shows amazon.com, so I'm asking... :huh:

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#53 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just set this up for easy access - http://www.kitelife.com/amazon/

The layout may change a little, but the URL will stay the same.

Thanks for asking! :)

John Barresi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users