Photo

SLE vs B-Series

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: If you own or have flown both extensively... (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Rev SLE (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

2. B-Series (37 votes [88.10%])

Percentage of vote: 88.10%

If you chose the B-Series, why?

1. More precise (27 votes [31.76%])

Percentage of vote: 31.76%

2. I like the colors and graphics (18 votes [21.18%])

Percentage of vote: 21.18%

3. I wanted more versatility (23 votes [27.06%])

Percentage of vote: 27.06%

4. I wanted a competition package (13 votes [15.29%])

Percentage of vote: 15.29%

5. I chose the SLE (4 votes [4.71%])

Percentage of vote: 4.71%

If you chose the SLE, why?

1. More precise (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. I like the colors and graphics (2 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. I wanted the SLE spars (2 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Lower cost (6 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

5. I chose the B-Series (36 votes [78.26%])

Percentage of vote: 78.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 John Barresi

John Barresi

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

I love a double leading edge vented B-Series up to about 45 mph, still smooth and stable. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.comkitemap.org | Rev Tutorials
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 clrizz

clrizz
  • Forum Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

CIMG0226_resize.JPG

Here is my new (old?) addition to my Rev collection. Since I have to wait a few months before I can purchase a vented B, I decided to vent my first 1.5. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but I'll get it out one of these days. ;)

I have to say the B series is the best Rev yet! I just picked up a standard B, and man, what can I say...I love it!!!! It feels more precise than either my 1.5 or SUL. It flies like the vented with a snap in its step.

Congrats to all involved at Revolution kites, and a big thanks to John for all the little details that make this (IMHO) the best Rev yet! :D :D
Posted Image

#23 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:14 AM

Never tried a B-Series... but I would love to... I might think on buying one instead of a SLE ;)

#24 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

i have flown both the vented b and std b series for my area with the open winds i found the vented b to be the best now that i fly my 1.5 vented i see the diffrence the b is a nice kite
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#25 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

i have flown both the vented b and std b series for my area with the open winds i found the vented b to be the best now that i fly my 1.5 vented i see the diffrence the b is a nice kite

Just wondering if you are flying them with the same LE? Just what is the diff?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#26 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

both had a 2 wrap as i like .. the vented was much eazier to control. the winds were 12 mph and dropped to 8 by the end of the day the vented one flies smoother and eazier then the standerd but i did like both kites.. i just prefer the vented out of the 2

#27 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

now that i fly my 1.5 vented i see the diffrence the b is a nice kite

I guess what I am asking is what is the diff. in the b vent and the 1.5 vent using the same wraps?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#28 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

I have flown a B vent and 1.5 vent back to back with the same spars.

The B just seems to be so much "more" somehow. not sure how to describe it, bearing in mind I am not a good flier the B seemed more precise, stable and controlable. I flew the B first then the 1.5. Wanted the B back pretty quick. Another guy who had not flown Revs B4 liked the B better as well.

And lets face it it is a whole lot cooler, not only the iQud logo bt JB's scribble on it.

Oh and yes it was with the same handles and lines in the same wind conditions.

Hope this helps!!

#29 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Forgot to mention I have a B and a B vent ( I know just showing off now, just got the Sea Devil I won in the raffle to rub it in even more) for me although both are wonderfull, in the gusty winds I normally fly in the Vented is best.

When I can get to the coast then the standard B if fantastic. Fast and precise. And the package with the spars means I am set up for almost no wind to THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS with 2 leading edges in the B vent.

#30 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

Hi all,

Was just wondering if the B series can fly in much lower wind speeds than the EXP. And also is there actually that much of a noticable difference between the precision of the EXP and the B series? I only ask because I currently own an EXP and a Shockwave and have not had the chance to fly any other rev's, but I'm wanting to buy another one very soon. I think I have caught the rev bug! lol. Cheers for any advice.

#31 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

I don't own a "B" series kite yet, but have flown them in side-by-side comparsions. The Barresi kite is more precise w/o any sacrifices in speed or wind range.

I believe the leading edge venting is shallower than the other 1.5s (at least in the one we measured with a ruler was)

There are also paths for the air to flow by (channeling?) on the wings in forward or reverse, they appear to be slightly oversized, maybe to allow for sail stretch in the future? Look at the stripes going down from the leading edge. This design makes a smoother flight, possibly taking away some of the twitchyness.

Getting light weight leading edge frames is another huge benefit, if you are used to the SLE tubes.

Eventually I'll have to upgrade my equipment, but I'll still run magic sticks, change the bridle, swap out the down spars for tapered skyshark 3PT "black diamonds" and fly on 17 inch throw handles to suit my local conditions. It's summer time in DC and there's no stinkin' wind or it's swirling like a hoover vacuum cleaner!

I have 47 Revs already, my wife will be so thrilled to find out I want a couple of their new models!

I have already pre-ordered 2 sets of their new "speed spars" (or whatever they are called). i'm just waiting on the UPS truck and Ben to finish 'em up in the shop. I bought them with solid carbon ferules though, so I can teach lessons and fly aggressively.

Your opinions may vary and that is why we like to get together and fly each others' equipment. I laugh when folks try my kites, they look box-stock but fly remarkably in difficult conditions. I fly a SUL with custom mini-vents cut into the sail when most pilots are grounded, unless it's dead calm the kite is effortless and so completely neutral. The long throw handles are great teaching aids as well, 'cause the student needs a light delicate grip and the kite sends signals down the lines that the pilot can feel and react to. so many folks grip like they were chokin' an angry cobra! How fast can you wiggle your fingers? How fast can your rotate your wrists, it's such simple physics. long throws are a tremendous advantage in low wind condtions, easily lowering the wind range a couple of miles per hour.

The full package of the Barresi series is worth the money, get both models and you are pretty well set for most anything MotherNature throws your way. In time you may decide to experiment and then you can share your secrets with us here on the forum.

#32 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:32 AM

OK can someone Please tell me what the difference is between a reg 1.5 with a 2 wrap frame and B series with a 2 wrap frame.

Example - new space age material that not only brings world peace, but doesn't make your butt look fat. (Fraser leave it alone lol)

I mean what I'm getting at is what is, if any major difference between the 2 aside from cool graphics and an Iquad logo.

I can see the panels being a good thing as the sail gets broken in but that wouldn't be a factor till then and people are saying it flies better off the sewing table.

Is the bridle tied differently? are the caps set up different? is it the fact its just a new kite?

What makes the 30 Revs with various frames in my bag's obsolete compared to this????

Now as a package I see the benefits 2 sets of frames which we all eventually got, handles with adjustment knots which again after time we learned from others to do, not having that pool cue SLE rod bonus in itself. John did a great job setting up this package with modifications already done for people, that in itself I wish had been done along time ago.

OK I think REVflyer and myself were typing in sequence. would still like to hear any major differences and opinions.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#33 cbabbman

cbabbman
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:00 AM

Something we noticed yesterday...

We were flying yesterday in rather light winds... a 1.5 SUL and a B-series standard... both with 2 wrap frame sets...

We were working on some speed control and precision flying and what we noticed is that when we hit the edge of the window, the b-series was going a good 10 feet or so further than the SUL.

Could have been the difference in handles/knot position/flying style but it was still interesting..
Posted Image

#34 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

I don't have as many Revs in my bags as some do, but it is getting awful close to 30. The newest are a std. B and a vented B. Both are exceptional in their precision and wind range. I got to fly for about 5 hours on the 4th with light and variable winds (inland NC). The B std. with a 2 wrap was still flying when my light wind SLKs were falling out of the sky. I believe it is flyable in less breeze than the SUL I have and with a wider window although I have not actually flown them side by side. Cann't tell you why this is but it is a fact.

Other Revs obsolete? Not hardly! Does a B fly with more precision and wider wind range than a standard 1.5? Yes definitely! My 1s, 1.5s and IIs still get regular air time along with the speed series.

A few of us are working toward a pairs / team set up and all agree that our go to kite for team flying is the B series.

The EXP was also my first Rev, still have it, still fly it and it's still a great kite. However it does not have the wind range or precision of the B.

All in all the Revs are like flyers, each have their own personalities and capabilities. All are capable of the standard Rev flight traits (even Back Trackers).

If I could only have two Revs in my bag I would have to choose the B standard and vented.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#35 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Jim,
There are no major differences,.... the panel layouts are "improved" and I believe the venting along the leading edge is slightly thinner on the "B" series as well. My kites are an inch of vent and the one I measured was only 5/8s.

The bridles were identical

small differences?, YES!,
but you can actually feel a difference, if you're a long time flier of their products.

It's not a different kite, but it's a lot better than the old ones they first came out with long ago,..... In fact it's different feeling than any other 1.5s in my bag, some are pretty new too. The Bazzer Flame was acquired at the beginning of May, pristine and crisp, as an example.

We did the comparison between a new SUL and the standard "B" series, both with 2 wraps all the way around.
(neither kite was mine). We used the same handle size (13-1/2s) and line lengths, probably about 85-90 feet, (90# LPG, no sleeving)

Everyone in attendance agreed that the "B" series was superior, Jim Cosca, Paul Dugard, Dave Ashworth, Jeff King, Bob Lauder and myself.

one person's comments are an opinion, six people concurring becomes a fact, right?

#36 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

well paul i do remember you sayin to me in maryland that you have to reduce the weight as much as possable ... what about a rev b with the race spar and the ss black dimonds as the down spars .. the race spar is just a guess to me as i havent tried them yet but the black dimonds are real nice and i have been thinking of that as a whole frame or cutting down and indoor rod set for my 1.5 sul to really get going as i have a few areas here where that could come in handy

#37 James

James
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:11 PM

B-Series is my first rev and the only rev... so far (my new B-Series vented is on its way :P ). Met a friend at Vanier park, Vancouver BC few days ago, who just got an SLE. (Hi, Monkey, if you recall, yes! he's gonna get a B-Series). We tried each other's kite, and end up he is gonna put his SLE on e-bay and get a B-Series.

We tried replacing rods and using B-Series' handle, but still, I can't find the B-Series' precision and responsiveness on the SLE. It seems that SLE has a more straighten leading edge. Also, not sure if that's the kite or myself, while the wind dropped quite a bit, I can still fly the B-Series (with 3 wrap rods), but not the SLE.

#38 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up buying a B series and it arrived yesterday (must say thanks to the 1st class service provided by kiteworld again). I have to now agree that the B series is the better kite when compared to the SLE or the EXP. The extra cost of the B series is well worth it, even if just for the DVD and custom handles that come with it.

Now I just need to think of an excuse to stay of work and fly it! lol.

#39 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

Example - new space age material that not only brings world peace, but doesn't make your butt look fat. (Fraser leave it alone lol)

Why would I leave THAT alone, Fort?? if such a material existed, I'd be first in line to buy it! :lol:

#40 mditty

mditty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

I just started flying the B-Series yesterday. Already I can see a difference in my level of flying. Here is what I think:

The SLE is almost unbreakable. I learned on the kite and have never had to replace anything in my four years of flying it, except for a rubber washer (about .59 for a dozen). They are great to learn on because it teaches the quadline technique without many costly repairs. The downfall is flight and kite responses aren't very crisp because of the lack of flex in the leading edge. Another prolem is that it requires a little more wind to fly.

The Speed Series (Shockwave) also uses the SLE rods. It has good responsiveness and stopping ability because of the increased surface area. The SLE rods are a must because the kite are very different to fly and they will need to be able to handle high speed crashes.

The Baressi Series is the best of both worlds. It can fly in light winds because of its light construction. The flexibility allows the kite to be super responsive and dead accurate as to what the flier demands. With the multiple frames, there really is no better kite in the world for the money, in my opinion.

I started with the 1.5 SLE and I thought man this is good, then moved to the Shockwave "this is even better", and latest I've used the B-Series this is the best kite that I've ever flown. It makes me feel like a much better pilot whether I've gotten better or not. The B-Series is a must for a competitive flier.

Thanks John. I personally am a very happy consumer.
-McKenzie ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users