36 replies to this topic

#1 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Has anyone used the Genuine rev 90lbx80ft rev lines.
Are thy as good as say Shanti or Laser pro gold.
Regards.
Derek

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

yea i have them and they are fine .. not better then the others but i have had no problems with mine other then alot of line stretch more then normal good lines otherwise ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

antman.
Thank you -- line stretch eh, mmmm, dont think ill bother
Thank you .
Derek.

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

They should be LaserPro Gold, that's what I seem to recall.

iQuad flies on LaserPro exclusively.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Individual kite shops have the option to purchase their Rev's with or without supplied line. If Revolution supplies the line then it always Laser Pro Gold or Shanti line. The same high quality line that you would find individually packaged from Laser Pro and Shanti. The EXP is the only exception as it can sometimes be supplied with a sport grade line. Laser Pro Gold and Shanti Warp Speed will have no stretch. There may be some small amount of "creep" in the lines when they are new, that is natural and may need to be adjusted out. Once the "creep" has been worked out of your lines then this should cease to be. The heavier the wind you fly in the more "creep" you will get in your lines. If your lines have substantial amount of stretch in them all the time then I would have to think that they may not be Laser Pro Gold lines. Again if you have the EXP then you may have sport grade lines which are not the same as the Pro lines.

You will want to double check with your local shop because some shops will order their Revolutions without line and then supply their own. It is assumed that the shop will include the same high quality line but I have heard of some of the discount priced online shops giving a lower quality line claiming it is the same as the Rev supplied line when in reality is is a very poor quality line that is cheap for the shop so they can sell the kites for less.

Revolution performance can be greatly reduced on poor low quality lines. It is like putting plastic tires on a Nascar.

As everyone who flies will tell you, line is one of the most important factors for your kites and they way they perform. A seasoned kite flyer will insist on 100% spectra line for all of their performance kites. The best line you can purchase (in my opinion) is Laser Pro Gold or Shanti Warp Speed. I feel there are many who would strongly agree with me.

Hope this helps.

#6 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

WOC.
Im not arguing with your statement but it dosnt coincide with what antman said.
He said he has tried genuine rev lines and thy are ok But thy have a lot of stretch.
Im only asking as my Uk on line shop has just started to sell rev lines and i want to clear things up
Otherwise its Laser pro gold for me.
Regards.
Derek.

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

lazer pro is the best and i do love the berry blue lines too
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

I personally prefer Shanti. I have been using their lines since 1994. Line stretch is minimal. They stay round and don't flatten out like some other spectre lines. I have never had one break on me, only cut by a fighter kite. I am still using lines that are 13 years old and they don't look bad.
I have flown with Laser Pro, but I don't have any of my own. I have no negatives to say about them with the few times I have used them.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

Wufer,

Both WOC and I are Rev dealers. What WOC said is correct. If the shop purchases lines from Revolution, then they are in fact Laser Pro Gold (mostly). I'm not sure what you mean by "Genuine Rev" lines though. At least here in the States, "Genuine Rev" lines ARE Laser Pro Gold. So the statement by WOC is correct.

If you have lines that came with your Rev, and are experiencing a lot of stretch, chances are those lines were NOT Laser Pro Gold and were in fact supplied by the dealer from some other company.

Is your local shop selling "Rev lines' that actually CAME from Revolution, or are they just selling a set of quad lines for use WITH Revolutions? Big difference!

Jim
Jim Hodges

#10 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

mc,
Im not arguing about what WOC or yourself say but ,if you look at what antman said ( a lot of line stretch), and what WOC said ( no stretch) about LPG, it just confused me a bit.
To end my confusion ive ordered 90lbx85ft LPG from USA and not rev lines.

Regards.
Derek.

#11 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

I purchased my first Rev last year in Lincoln City. 1.5 SLE. Flew it a few times on the lines supplied...thinking they were the lines that REV supplies.....I have since purchased a set of 100' LPG lines from Theresa at the Kite Shoppe. Definitely NOT the same thing.
The sleeves on the lines I received with the kite were black/black and white and red/ red and white. Don't think the winders (2) said anything on them about type of line. Would be interested if I got a bad deal....I really do not want to slow my curve due to things I don't know how to adjust. I'm willing and ready to learn but would like to focus on flying the kite....not adjusting it all the time.

Is this a realistic approach???

Also, due to lack of space to fly in....would lines in the 70' range hurt me as a newbie. I've got 85' (came with the kite) and the LPG 100'. I think if I had shorter lines while I'm learning I would not be as worried about taking out a kid, a large dog or perhaps a small family of 4.

I know this question has been beat to death....but would 3 wrap LE spars help me to learn by stabilizing the kite and allowing it to load up more. I'm flying with the SLE LE and it is STIFF. Ran into some pretty high winds the other day and was amazed at the difference in the kite when the wind would actually bend that thing into shape.

Thanks all,
:unsure: :unsure:
P

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

3 wraps have my vote... SLE is way too stiff. :P

Just order up an "EXP leading edge" from your favorite kite shop. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

I think the shape of the kite is all important. Not tried a SLE and from all accounts dont really want to try one. If you get a set of 2 3 and 4 wrap leading edges you are pretty much OK for almost any wind you can stand up in.

As for the lines, fly with what works for you or what you need. I use 50 ft sometimes, makes the kite "fast" up to 120 ft each different length makes the kite "different"

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

I fly with a 3 wrap LE. It handles perfectly for me. I also use 30 ft line (I used to have 60 ft, but for the life of me, I can't find them!), and I'm waiting for my step-dad to finally pay me, so I can get a 120 ft set from Theresa.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

Maybe you cut the 60s into two sets of 30s?

Just a thought ;)

#16 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

Exactly the post I was going to put up QK, although a 20 and a 40 would make more sense.

Great minds think alike.

Dont worry Watty we are just joshing, at least I am anyway. 8-)

#17 SKITCH

SKITCH

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like I'm off for a set of 3 wraps and another set of shorter lines.

Thanks for the advice guys.

P

#18 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

You wont regret it Skitch, you dont NEED the full set. Just a Leading Edge (3 spars) will do. Though if you make up full sets you will be right for any wind.

Not sure what the SLE carries as down spars, anyone know??

Dont go TOO short on the lines, the longest you can get away with I would say, gives you more "window" to fly in.

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

You wont regret it Skitch, you dont NEED the full set. Just a Leading Edge (3 spars) will do. Though if you make up full sets you will be right for any wind.

Not sure what the SLE carries as down spars, anyone know??

Dont go TOO short on the lines, the longest you can get away with I would say, gives you more "window" to fly in.

This is for as delivered from the Factory to the dealer:
Down spars are most often the 3 wrap labeled "ultra light" when the SLE is labeled "ultra light". In the case that the SLE has a "Revolution Equipped" label, then the down spars will be 4 wrap "Revolution Equipped". The latter can be found on some, maybe all(at least mine) vented REV 1.5 SLEs.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#20 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for that John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users