545 replies to this topic

#121 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Not every fly will be 10x10... These are the "high point" attempts for a specific window of time on Thu/Fri/Sat.

Other days, there will be all day, casual teams and mini-grids for folks to try their hand, learn lots and gave a generally good time. ;)

Just this past weekend at the clinic, we did a 4x4 to introduce people to the idea, went really well...

Matter of fact, two of the folks who jumped in had never flown team at all before, and one of them had less than 12 hours total time on a Rev. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#122 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Does every attempt at WSIKF need to be 10 x 10 or can we work towards that? Frankly 10 x 10 scares the Posted Image out of me. I don't know why.

Bart

Bart,
Dont think about the size of the grid or the sheer number of pilots. When it comes right down to it, the immediate kites around you are the frame of reference you'll need to concentrate on. The reality of it is, flying in the grid formation is really pretty easy. Trust in yourself will go a long way to overcoming your initial fear uncertainty's.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#123 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Aye, as comparison - a grid of 4x4 (16) is infinitely easier than traditional team flying with six pilots.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#124 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

I tell myself that a lot!

It is my nature to look at the big picture over the smaller one so it is hard to think about it any other way. I hope for lots of practice before then. Remember, I will be in totally new wind for me. I've going from choppy, land locked, prairie wind to what everyone tells me is this smooth ocean wind. I will probably be all over the place!

Bart

#125 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Does every attempt at WSIKF need to be 10 x 10 or can we work towards that? Frankly 10 x 10 scares the Posted Image out of me. I don't know why.

Bart

I think the 10 x 10 would actually be the most manageable of all the possible formations. It limits the number of columns to manage, while providing enough room for everyone vertically. With the 10-man column we got up at the clinic, there was room enough for everyone to spin on his center, and then some. No worries Bart. We'll get you through it, and you will be totally excited afterward.

It is my nature to look at the big picture over the smaller one so it is hard to think about it any other way. I hope for lots of practice before then. Remember, I will be in totally new wind for me. I've going from choppy, land locked, prairie wind to what everyone tells me is this smooth ocean wind. I will probably be all over the place!

If anything, I think this will make you even more capable. Coming from inland winds myself, the smooth winds of Long Beach make everything so much easier. You never realize just how good you are until you get into some nice wind. I think you will surprise yourself.

Edited by Watty, 23 March 2010 - 07:24 PM.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#126 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

We had 16 in a line on 75's at Kite Party when John had us all get into a 4x4. I think most of us had been in a grid, but not all. It went just fine.

As far as vertical room, we had 18 doing up and down pezz maneuvers, and we were getting 7-8 in line vertically on 75s. It was tight, but loads of fun.

The only problem I see with a 10x10 on 120s, is getting 100 fliers.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#127 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Here's a photo of our 10-high kite column, just to give an idea of how much room we had to spare on 120' lines... Wind was 8-12mph, give or take. ;)

IMG_4574.JPG

Photo courtesy of Erin Altenhof-Long

John Barresi

#128 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

Bart

The really big grids are impressive but smaller ones can be more fun. With Jon's blessings we should be able to put up some smaller ones during the event to ease people into the whole thing and to try some of the more interesting moves that are buzzing round in my head.

There should be several of us there who have called in these situations and other very experienced team callers who would have no problems at all once they get a go at it. Who knows we may be able to put up 2 or 3 grids in one go.

The only problem you might have is understanding proper English rather than that funny dialect you have over there in the colonies!

Success builds upon success

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#129 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

I'm all for this. :)

John Barresi

#130 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:19 AM

I tell myself that a lot!

Bart

I can think of at least two events here on the east coast you SHOULD come to for some good times, good friends, some GRID practice and a helluva party. MIKE in Ocean City Maryland at the end of April, & Wildwood NJ over Memorial Day at the end of May.
I promise warmer weather smoother breezes, and THE BEACH!!!!!!!
C'mon BART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Edited by quaa714, 24 March 2010 - 03:20 AM.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#131 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:40 AM

The really big grids are impressive but smaller ones can be more fun. With Jon's blessings we should be able to put up some smaller ones during the event to ease people into the whole thing and to try some of the more interesting moves that are buzzing round in my head.

There should be several of us there who have called in these situations and other very experienced team callers who would have no problems at all once they get a go at it. Who knows we may be able to put up 2 or 3 grids in one go.

The only problem you might have is understanding proper English rather than that funny dialect you have over there in the colonies!

Success builds upon success

I had in mind 4 x 25 <grins>

Felix

#132 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

I can think of at least two events here on the east coast you SHOULD come to for some good times, good friends, some GRID practice and a helluva party. MIKE in Ocean City Maryland at the end of April, & Wildwood NJ over Memorial Day at the end of May.
I promise warmer weather smoother breezes, and THE BEACH!!!!!!!
C'mon BART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Posted Image:w00t:Posted Image

Maybe I can convince someone to try one of those next year. I'll be tapped out between Vancouver in June and WSIKF in August.

Bart

#133 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

One of the great things about the grid formation is the less experienced/uncomfortable in team can be put at the bottom of the grid where it is a bit easier to handle. Don't worry Bart, I am sure you will do fine. Besides, there will be all kinds of time for practice between attempts. :blue-music:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#134 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

One of the great things about the grid formation is the less experienced/uncomfortable in team can be put at the bottom of the grid where it is a bit easier to handle. Don't worry Bart, I am sure you will do fine. Besides, there will be all kinds of time for practice between attempts. :blue-music:

It also gives the better flyers on top some peace of mind. I would hate to be the guy in the top row to take down 20 kites below me and than play with lines for the rest of the week. Scary thought...

#135 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've actually done a rough skill-mapping of the 10x10 grid and will be placing pilots accordingly, as best I can, balancing in other considerations like distributing experienced leaders, keeping couples and teams together, etc, etc, etc... It won't be perfect right off, but as a group, it'll all sort itself out :)

John Barresi

#136 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

I've actually done a rough skill-mapping of the 10x10 grid and will be placing pilots accordingly, as best I can, balancing in other considerations like distributing experienced leaders, keeping couples and teams together, etc, etc, etc... It won't be perfect right off, but as a group, it'll all sort itself out

I am sure it will 'sort itself out' as happily 'it' (the grid) is getting a life of its own.

I do wonder about the notion that some places are actually 'easier'. I guess that someone on the outside edge may feel that there is an exit route but in terms of 'defining' the outside edge of the presentation, that may be the most difficult position! Low down in the wind window is potentially going to be more difficult if wind speed is high. Low down may also be more likely to be subject to turbulence depending on relative ground positions. The opportunity to 'try it all out' is obviously crucial and nobody who is a basically competent flier should have any real problem on the day!

As I observed regarding the Spanish event, perfection is not necessary. The intent will be clear <grins>

Felix

#137 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

Agreed, wholeheartedly. :)

John Barresi

#138 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

I'll take the bottom in the turbulance. I'm used to that rough Posted Image

Bart

#139 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

John,

Is there a playbook describing the maneuvers to be performed?

Star-bursts from the bottom are something I'm practicing, but... :blushing: at the clinic. Placing us newbies at the bottom of the columns will save a lot of fliers from newbie crash-and-burns, but also places them in the hard-to-do positions in circular figures. (I bet John has already figured a solution for that!)

Likewise, clockwork is something I've accomplished a few times in private - but in public :blink: A 100 kite clockwork spin would be fantastic!

As the weather improves, I hope to get a lot more practice at the beach. I am already better than at the clinic, but not good enough to guarantee I don't take out a column or two if asked to do a stable inverted hover or clock-work spin.

BTW, for the inland fliers - you may well luck out. Easterly winds over the peninsula are probably about as bumpy as you are used to inland. :P

I suspect you are planning to sort some of these problems out as you find out who can attend the mega-fly, and what they can accomplish. Still, any head's up on important skills is welcome. 100 fliers might require some wanna-be's like me.

TNX,

Edited by HedgeWarden, 31 March 2010 - 04:36 PM.

-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#140 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

There is no playbook at this point in grid development...

Grid format is done with literal calling by the captain, with kites (rows/columns) being moved about like chess pieces, rather than entire maneuvers.

The weakest pilots will likely be in the bottom 3 rows, in the outermost 2 columns on each side.

I am certain that everyone will find it very self-explanatory on the fly, and especially for those who have an opportunity to come early in the week for smaller practice grids. ;)

John Barresi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users