545 replies to this topic

#241 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

I know the infamous 5 minutes. In the meantime I'll get the new vids you're doing and continue to work on it. I won't try as hard!

My comments, though, were more a matter of a snapshot of "right now". Hopefully over the next four months I'll have a lot more practice.

Bart

#242 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

This is good. Where do I get the kite that stays pinned to the sky with not the least bit of wobble?

Bart

You'll get it over the next few month of practice. One day you will be at your favorite flyingspot and at the end of the day you will say: Wow, that's not that hard after all! Happened to me. And I am certainly not a guru---yet:)

#243 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

JB,

Thanks for the great basic skills video, and the maneuver diagrams (which I mistakenly called a "playbook" :blushing: in an earlier request - what you provided was exactly what I wanted.:))

I think I'm progressed about 30% from where I was at the Rev Clinic to where I need to be, to be (mostly) comfortable in a large grid. :kid_content:

Now, regarding GUSTY winds... :kid_brooding:

How important do you think being able to hold stable positions and backward movements in gusty winds will be? Sometimes the Long Beach winds are beautifully smooth (westerlies), and sometimes they can be as bad as inland winds (easterlies). But with any kite, I find a gust while holding an inverted position or backing up can overload the slower reactions of my old nervous system, resulting in unpredictable over-correction errors. I guess the question is, will gusty winds be a reason for postponing attempts, or limiting the participants?

Or, probably best, rather than making advanced decisions, you will probably make decisions on the spot. I bring the topic up only to gain a little insight into your thinking that will be behind the real-time decisions - comfort or challenge to us wanna-be's.

BTW, in my short experience (5% of yours!), it seems a vented kite in moderate to strong gusty winds is as easy to handle as a non-vented in light to moderate smooth winds.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#244 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

Most of the decisions will be made as it happens, as there just too many variables (high, low, bad wind) to consider in advance...

In short, we'll just facilitate folks so they have as much experience and knowledge as they can muster, and gently sit them out if they're out of their league for any given condition.

The great thing about a week long festival, even three days of uber mega flying, is that we're almost guaranteed a variety of conditions an many "once again" opportunities... Highly unlikely we won't have at least one day that suits the average for all comers, and many smaller grids in-between so assuredly, everyone will walk away with a great deal of grins and experience. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#245 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Added one more name to our list on the first post, and a 6x6 grid example from Berck. ;)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#246 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

This should be the event of the decade ( understated ) for Rev flyers in the US, just as a witness will be priceless.
I will kick myself foreva if i can't make it.
If your within 3000 miles and you fly Rev's and / or use this Forum, GO somehow/ SOMEWAY!!!
U won't regret it!!
I feel bad for those from the east coast who have to chose to either go to Nationals and compete or go to WSIKF and fly till your head caves in.
This event will be one to remember I"M SURE!!!
organized kaos at it's finest!!! wanna see cat's being herded.... LITERALLY show up!!!
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#247 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Really looking forward to this!

I hope everybody who is planning on coming has reservations/accommodations as motel space is almost sold out!

I was able to pick up one more condo unit, however, it is only 3 nights, checking in on Thursday Aug 19th out on Sunday Aug 22nd in a studio unit in the Worldmark condo on Sid Snyder. If anyone is coming in for the weekend and is interested, call me for more info at The Kite Shoppe number: 360-695-9646.

Theresa

GONE!

Edited by Theresa, 11 May 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#248 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thank You T!!! My wife and I are looking forward to the stay. BTW, it will be my wifes B-day on that Saturday, so I guess a room party is in store that night, BYOB, any one want to help me with a little party planning?......... :blue-music:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#249 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:07 AM

This is good. Where do I get the kite that stays pinned to the sky with not the least bit of wobble?
<snip>

Hi Bart,

I was just reviewing the thread and spotted your comment.

While varying wind conditions will require input from the flier, if conditions are 'ideal' there is no reason why 'pinned to the sky' precision should not be achieved.

'No wobble/long arm' flying can be achieved "only" if the flier makes the effort to do it!

See you at WSIKF.

Felix

#250 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Count me in!:blue-grin:

Hey John, did you get my email with my sign up info?

thanks,
Erin
Everything Changes

#251 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

thanks,
Erin

Getting close to the final 25...

I have no worries about whether the 100 is/are achieved on this occasion just that whatever we do achieve is executed with style...

9 x 8 will be amazing, 9 x 9 another step forwards...

<grins>

Felix

#252 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

SOOOOO looking forward to this......is it august yet??????????

Now that I have a room at the resort, I want to have a bit of after hours fun. I am growing peppers in my garden this year, if I have some ready I will be sure to bring some for shenanigans. I will warn you, some are EXTREMELY hot. I hope to have Jalapeño, Habanero, Hungarian hot wax, Cayenne, Peter Pepper, and the current Guinness world record holder for hottest pepper, the Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia). Could be making poppers or something, may bring some home made salsa..................Posted Image
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#253 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

thanks,
Erin

I sure did, been laid up with a tooth abscess so I've been mostly offline for the past few days... Gotcha added to list now, glad you'll be there. :)

John Barresi

#254 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thanks John, I figured it would take a lot to keep you away from your kites and this forum - hope you continue to get well quickly!
Everything Changes

#255 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Erin, three more names added including you, just 24 more and we've got 100! :)

Aside from additional confirmations here, I'm hoping we'll have 10 or so "walk on" fliers during the week as well.

John Barresi

#256 airin

airin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi again. I just started to pay attention to some of the details outlined on page one of this thread. Posted ImageSo 120 ' line sets, eh? Posted Image

What were we flying at last year's mega fly attempt at WSIKF? I think it was 100 ' lines, am I right? Posted Image

I barely have room for fly my 85' lines in our little park at Vanier especially now that they have added a large sprawling sculpture on the field. Posted Image

So do you think it is going to be much of a problem switching to longer lines when I'm down in Washington in August? Suggestions, advice.....?!Posted Image
Everything Changes

#257 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

In my opinion switching from 100 to 120 foot lines is pretty much transparent. You will notice little, if any, difference in your flying and will not need to "learn" anything to use them.

Bart

#258 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

In my opinion switching from 100 to 120 foot lines is pretty much transparent. You will notice little, if any, difference in your flying and will not need to "learn" anything to use them.

Bart

Hi Bart,

I think that you are correct. I also think that, for a moderately experienced flier, the transition from the whole wind window to the more focused space of grid flying should not really be an issue. <grins>

Felix

#259 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi Bart,

I think that you are correct. I also think that, for a moderately experienced flier, the transition from the whole wind window to the more focused space of grid flying should not really be an issue. <grins>

Felix

Touché

I make no bones about it that the mega fly scares the hell out of me and the trip in general is scary for me - I do not deal well with unknown variables, but to combat this I've decided to break it down into little steps.

The first step is to decide I will go even though it is a big unknown for me. I've done that now.

The second step is to get there and I'll be relying on Kite Cowboy to get me that far. We talked about some of the logistics last week of this trip. I'll panic a few more times before we leave, but that's me.

Once I get there I'll see what comes next and probably settle down. Getting there is the hardest part.

Besides all of that, I need a vacation bad!

Bart

#260 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

Touché
<snip>
Besides all of that, I need a vacation bad!

Bart

Bart,

It should be a 'holiday' for all of us <grins>

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users