545 replies to this topic

#181 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

To clarify, I believe what Felix is referring to here is essentially some marching band style exercises, just to get a feel for what we'll be doing in the sky.

Definitely for the body work, but potentially with our bodies acting as the kites as well, just so we can see it happen.

It wouldn't be excessive time-wise, just enough to build a little familiarity...

So to hit home again, who is amiable (or opposed) to doing these types of drills?

Oh yes, that's it...!!! Let's make sure that we all know what is coming next. I like the idea of everyone calling from the same hymn sheet. Who is going to object?

<aside> Happy-clappy this is not! We have a serious project here </aside>

Felix

#182 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

I'd love to stay on track with Felix's query, please...

In the meantime, I'm just posting some more visual aids here:

10x10_identifying-rings-01.png
This is pretty much what I see in my mind, when I hear a leader calling off rings.

10x10_identifying-groups-01.png
Again, the visualization I use to identify groups, almost exactly how I see it, either leading or receiving instruction.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#183 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Just keep piling it on.

Honestly, this is too much. It is un-nerving for anyone who has had no chance to fly in a group before. A few days before the big attempt to be whipped into shape and practice only adds to the pressure, it doesn't help to ease it. I've always had reservations about attending a week long festival and this is part of those reservations.

Those of us who are 99% solo flyers are the minority and shouldn't hold the rest of you back, but seriously this is not looking like anything I want to do looking at 10 diagrams and more added every day and rolling around the sky in big circles now. Jeepers, no. I don't need that kind of pressure in my life, that's why I fly, to escape some stress.

Sorry.

Bart

#184 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

<snip>

Great stuff JB. I do not want to appear to be 'aggressive' but just enthusiastic about what we might achieve.

Getting everyone psyched up for Portsmouth/Bristol was an exercise in discretion. Persuading the participants to go the extra distance paid off even if the personal effort was debilitating in retrospect.

Felix

#185 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

To put this idea in context, we currently have 10am pre-flight meetings scheduled for Thu/Fri/Sat... I'd allowed 15-20 minutes for discussion and announcements.

As I understand it, we're talking about adding 20-30 minutes to the meeting... Say, 10am to 10:50am, give or take...

This doesn't encroach on the bulk of the day, a small investment that would pay dividends when we actually do the mega flies.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#186 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

Bart, just show up on the Rev field, just fly... Watch it happen, try little grids, little exercises with a few folks...

If you're cool, go a bit further... If not, do what resounds in your heart.

To back out from what it "looks like" now, I don't think it's a fair assessment.

Said as a friend and fellow flier. :)

==

This isn't a job... It is a kite festival, a lot of kite folks doing something fun together and trying for something big.

There's no requirement to do anything, it's up to your judgment on the day of.

Folks who are "iffy" are encouraged to just observe, try smaller things, to have FUN with it at whatever level they want to participate.

And remember, we're talking about 1-1/2 to 2 hours total on each of three key days... The rest of the hours, and the week, is FUN, play, learning.

You know my heart by now Bart, don't give up on us entirely. ;)

John Barresi

#187 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Just keep piling it on.

Honestly, this is too much. It is un-nerving for anyone who has had no chance to fly in a group before. A few days before the big attempt to be whipped into shape and practice only adds to the pressure, it doesn't help to ease it. I've always had reservations about attending a week long festival and this is part of those reservations.

Those of us who are 99% solo flyers are the minority and shouldn't hold the rest of you back, but seriously this is not looking like anything I want to do looking at 10 diagrams and more added every day and rolling around the sky in big circles now. Jeepers, no. I don't need that kind of pressure in my life, that's why I fly, to escape some stress.

Sorry.

Bart

Bart,

I am going to Berck next weekend for a week long festival. There is a week off and then I am at Cervia. Of all the contributors I have read on this forum you are the one that I would have most confidence in inviting to take part in team flying...

Forget the pressure, forget the practice, we just fly together and enjoy it!

Felix

#188 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

Aye, what he said, 100%. :D

John Barresi

#189 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

To clarify, I believe what Felix is referring to here is essentially some marching band style exercises, just to get a feel for what we'll be doing in the sky.

Definitely for the body work, but potentially with our bodies acting as the kites as well, just so we can see it happen.

It wouldn't be excessive time-wise, just enough to build a little familiarity...

So to hit home again, who is amiable (or opposed) to doing these types of drills?

Just in case there is any doubt, like this,-
http://www.youtube.c...4...eam-videos/

Just keep piling it on.

Honestly, this is too much. It is un-nerving for anyone who has had no chance to fly in a group before......

Donít sweat it Bart, this will be time well spent John is not piling it on here, it will all help, trust me on this one. And when itís all over I look forward to reading your post in this thread.

Trust me it will make sense.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#190 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Just in case there is any doubt, like this,-
http://www.youtube.c...eam%2Dvideos%2F

Don't sweat it Bart, this will be time well spent John is not piling it on here, it will all help, trust me on this one. And when it's all over I look forward to reading your post in this thread.

Trust me it will make sense.

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Felix

#191 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

The diagramatic representation can be a bit daunting but frankly there is no other way of representing the grid.

Berck and Cervia follow. We will see what develops <grins>

Felix

#192 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

The diagramatic representation can be a bit daunting but frankly there is no other way of representing the grid.

I would also offer that the diagrams and such are simply concepts... They sit in the back of your mind, not need to be ingrained, memorized or so much learned beforehand... When someone actually sees it all happening, there is a huge "AHA" moment where it all becomes clear, and grins abound.

John Barresi

#193 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

Besides what has been said already, I am in this for the challenge! I am not completely comfortable in a team fly, and I really don't have the most stable hover. I am in this for the expierience, the fun, the fear, the sense of accomplishment, and the chance to be part of something never tried on this scale before. Forget the chance of flying with notables from around this globe, this is something any Rev flier cannot miss. Bart, you won't know it at the time, but flying with other fliers will improve your skills, and you will have a grin from ear to ear the first time you are in a 12 kite (4X3) grid. After that you will want more........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#194 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Just keep piling it on.

Sorry.

Bart

Bart.

I attended the Rev Clinic, and participated in 4x4 grid flying. Up to that time, I was (basically still am) a solo flier, low end of intermediate skill. If you can hold decently stable hovers and back up all directions without catastrophe, you will find this a blast! We did not have the benefit of diagrams before-hand, but John's patient direction was enough to get us (most of us) going the right direction with just a few tries. 4x4 or 10x10 - I think the main issue is remembering if you are even or odd row and column, and if you are center ring... outer ring. A little group practice will ease that anxiety.

Try it. I guarantee you will do better than I, and have even more fun. :P

I hope to meet you at WSIKF 2010, Bart.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#195 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Stephen and I are both very similar in our calling manner... Different styles, but very similar tempo and approach to descriptive calls.

It's about caring for every flier on the field, as WE (the fliers) make up the group... Not the other way around. :)

John Barresi

#196 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Up to 71 on the list... Just 29 more, and we'd reach 100. :)

John Barresi

#197 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Guys, I did not post this for attention. I posted it because I'm getting serious anxiety about the whole thing. It's turning into a performance or something and I am not interested in being involved on that level. I am not OK about being only half-assed decent at this and happy just to be counted while everyone else is busy dodging me. I don't do anything that way. It is better for me to not be on any list. If there are 100 others who want to jump in then fine by me. Recall that I also was 100% in favour of some kind of audition process for these sorts of things and that said process should be strict. It would not be a test I would probably pass on the first attempt.

In addition, I've made plans to attend, but it is far from written in stone. I will not be able to make the final call on that until at least mid July. I have many reservations about going to a week long festival for kites or anything else where the focus is so, well, focused. Paul always tells me I am not a true kite guy and he is right. A week of kite flying is about 4 days longer than I probably can stand and it's not like there is a lot of options there for anything else at a kite festitval.

It's four months to this thing and already I'm dreading it so what am I going to be like by then?

Bart

#198 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Oh, it's no performance... We don't have a sound system, and won't be anywhere the main field.

It's just a bunch of fliers trying to put Legos together, basically. :)

If it's cool, let me leave you on the list, and if you're able to attend WSIKF, you decide what you want to do once you get a little airtime and a feel for things?

As others have mentioned above, it's really not all that... Just good fun, and building something together.

John Barresi

#199 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

ah bart,
i am sure every thing will be fine , i have flown with you before and can say with confidence that you are certainly capable of doing this.
i will be heading to WSKIF on the wednesday flying thurs through to sunday . if a whole week seems to daunting perhaps 4 days might be more appealing
believe me there is lots to occupy ones time ... this is not like windscape ... you have the awesome west coast vistas , beach winds , tons of kite stuff plus rev flying to the max.
breath deeply , don't try to over analyze this stuff and just enjoy flying with like minded people of all skill levels ... you can't help but have fun
plus we will warm you up in vancouver ... have you found a place to stay yet ??? don't hesitate to let me know if i can be of assistance in any way
you can do this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheers
terry
Posted Image

#200 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

@ Bartman PM sent.