Indeed, I'm working to organize enough folks so that we can reach one hundred Revs in formation at once... We had 64 in the air last year, but we never exceeded 50 in actual formation and thus came up short of a new world record.
This year, I expect we'll easily surpass the existing record (54) and could very possibly reach 100... Whether or not we actually reach 100, this will be the single largest gathering of Rev pilots ever assembled and a new world record will be set.
WSIKF web site - http://www.kitefestival.com/
(note Revolution field on far left/south end)
I have been in touch with the organizers due to the sheer size of what we're proposing, and the response from Jane Holeman (primary organizer) has been favorable, even with regard to our moving the mega fly attempts south of Sid Snyder (museum approach to the beach)... This will enable us to actually use the whole beach width, with ongoing attention to keeping a through way for emergency vehicles.
Date : Staging : Attempt
Thu, Aug 19 : 1:30pm : 2:00pm
Fri, Aug 20 : 2:30pm : 3:00pm
Sat, Aug 21 : 3:00pm : 3:30pm
Mandatory 15 to 20 minute pre-flight meeting for all participants at 10:00am on each day to discuss safety, execution, etc...
Teams can send one representative to gain and distribute the day's information.
10x10 Grid layout - wsikf10_grid10x10.pdf 832.56KB 468 downloads
Single column view - wsikf10_grid(single-column).pdf 291KB 407 downloads
Single column guide - wsikf10_grid(single-guide).pdf 291.46KB 410 downloads
(thanks to John Mitchell for the PDF work, and to Felix Mottram for the grid concept)
Required equipment: 120' spectra lines and any of the 1.5 class Revs (SLE, EXP, B-Series, Masterpiece)... Wind conditions are unknown, so it would behoove folks to come equipped with both standard and vented sails, as well as appropriate frames.
Set up on the ground w/ wind running down the beach...
Chances are, we literally won't be able to fit 100 kites wingtip to wingtip onto the beach (unless we have a straight ocean wind), so here is how the 10x10 Grid might look from above, while "at rest" on the ground:
In theory, this is how the LAUNCHING process might work...
When we mobilize, the upwind pilots (1-5) in the center two color columns (blue and black) will launch into position high in the window and move forward if wind allows... Perhaps 30 seconds afterward, the downwind pilots (6-10) in the same columns will launch into position low in the window and walk backward to meet with the top of their column in the middle of the field.
Having established the center two columns, we'd then add to each side, two columns at a time...
Once we get the process down, we should be able to launch the next pair of columns while the previous two are still positioning...
I'd like to see each column up in under a minute, and I think it's very possible once we work out the process and are moving together.
/>View style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">2010 WSIKF 100 Rev Mega Fly in a larger map
NOTE: I will assign six safety marshals from our group to ensure that we're doing what we need to be doing, that everyone is laid out courteously within the field, and to ensure that emergency vehicles have a way to pass or go through our field(s) safely if needed.
Here's my basic plan, which will get fleshed out further as the actual event approaches:
- Two mega fly attempts each day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday... This will give us some "build up" exercise as the ranks grow toward the weekend, but it will also serve to give everyone a great deal of free time to explore and enjoy the festival between attempts.
- Pre-flight meetings for all mega fly participants on each of those days, covering basic conduct, schedule, safety and field considerations.
- Colored wrist bands to assign "blue column", "red column", etc... One of the issues last year was that "column groups" changed ranks with every attempt based on where people ended up... By assigning colored groups, each column will be able to get familiar with each other, their respective kite colors and what they need to do together as a group within the mega fly... With enough RSVPs from those who are coming, I can even start a spreadsheet well in advance to help sort out skill levels, assign column captains, etc.
- Safety will be of paramount importance... My plan is to secure low height flags or banners that we can space 5'-6' apart all the way around the public-facing parts of our flight area (flags allow emergency vehicles to drive over if absolutely necessary, but will give spectators cause to examine their environment... Couple this with six assigned safety marshals to oversee and adjust, we should be good.
NOTE 2: I've selected Thu/Fri/Sat because those are the days when most everyone will be in town and a lot of folks leave fairly early on Sunday... We may play with grid practice on Mon/Tue/Wed as well, but there's no counting on whether enough pilots will have arrived by then... So instead, those days are to be free, play, learn, practice and make friends.
NOTE 3: Lastly, I'm also working on a diagram which assigns fliers to specific columns and will be handed out to participants at the first pre-flight meeting on Thursday morning, and to later arrivals as they come in over the following two days.
A sample image of these grid assignments can be found below, but please understand that it's still VERY tentative - I will be reassigning all the way up to the event, based on team affiliations, skill level, experience, etc.
Sample videos of grid work in Portsmouth, 2008:
Sample video of 6x6 grid work in Berck, 2010:
Setting this up right, well enough in advance and having the whole beach, I think we'll be able to incorporate even the intermediate pilots and potentially a number of the novices (arranged in the outermost left and right columns).
If you'll be at WSIKF and are interested in participating, please send me a PM or email with the following info:
- Home town
- Email address
- Day arriving (first full day in town)
- Day departing
- Self-assessment of skill (0 to 10)
- John Barresi (full week) - iQuad <-- Flight Coordinator
- Steve de Rooy (full week) - iQuad
- Takako Barresi (full week) - iQuad
- JD Fabich (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - iQuad
- Bazzer Poulter (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - iQuad <-- Safety/Ops
- David Hathaway (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - iQuad
- Rich Comras (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - Rev Riders
- Laura Berg (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - Rev Riders
- Scott Weider (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - Rev Riders <-- Safety/Ops
- Ben D'Antonio (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Stephen Hoath (full week) - The Flying Squad <-- Flight Coordinator
- Susan Hoath (full week) - The Flying Squad
- Mark Lummas (full week) - Too Much Fun <-- Safety/Ops
- Jeanette Lummas (full week) - Too Much Fun
- Ron Despojado (full week) - Too Much Fun
- Amy Doran (full week)
- Connor Doran (full week)
- Colleen Baker (full week)
- Bart Busse
- Paul Loranger
- Willow Demers (full week) - Island Quad
- Spence Watson (full week)
- Mike Tracy (full week)
- Lori Tracy (full week)
- Dave Bradley (full week)
- John Mason (full week)
- Gary Maynard (full week) - Detroit Windjammers
- James Lee Wright III (full week) - Detroit Windjammers
- Michael Carlisle (full week) - Detroit Windjammers
- James Kinsey (full week) - Detroit Windjammers
- Ken Walker (Thu/Fri/Sat)
- Mario DiLucca (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - Island Quad
- Felix Mottram (full week) - Decorators <-- Safety/Ops
- Ashley Mottram (full week) - Decorators
- Ray Lee (full week)
- Nicole O'Neill (full week)
- Gordy Wensley (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Martin Linford (full week) - Decorators
- Howard Mathews (full week)
- Bob Koga (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - AirBenders
- Walt Ellis (Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Jim Fielder (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Joji Davis (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - iQuad
- David Ellison (full week) - Decorators
- Calvin Leibelt (Thu/Fri/Sat)
- Cass Pitman (full week)
- Carol Pittman (full week)
- Terry Wiggill (Thu/Fri/Sat) - Island Quad <-- Safety/Ops
- Jim Foster (full week) - Kite Kids
- Lynn Foster (full week) - Kite Kids
- Steve Donovan (Fri/Sat/Sun) - Team Vortice
- Russell Hammond (Fri/Sat/Sun) - Team Vortice
- Jason Kitchen (Fri/Sat/Sun) - Team Vortice
- Seb Clarke (Fri/Sat/Sun) - Team Flic
- Cathy Tung (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - AirBenders
- Steve Brown (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - AirBenders
- Gerald Lokhorst (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun) - AirBenders
- Dianne O'Brien (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Ray Bechard (Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Carol Bechard (Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Manny Abt (Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Jennifer Brown (full week)
- Peter Wolf (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Penny Lingenfelter
- John Farrell
- Mark Giadone (full week)
- Brad Bixby (full week) - Island Quad
- Tom King (full week)
- Aiyana Markling (Thu/Fri/Sat)
- Bill Seward (Thu/Fri/Sat)
- Brad Weiner (Thu/Fri/Sat)
- Peter Ekstrom (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Page Anderson (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Julie Burke (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Alden Miller (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Kristian Slater (Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- PJ Sirl (Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)
- Rick White (Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun)