• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fai2

fai2
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hi peoples

lm happy to say l have almost masterd all the tricks im learning , but the one that gets me the most is when l invert my EXP it wants to flip all the time
is this due to my handle being to big or small or am l especting to much out of my learning kite .
l have made 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , inch handles and now l need to know wich one to use and at what wind strength for each one ..

cheers Marce

ps my SLE should be here tomorrow , cant wait , and next week my SUL arrives ...

Edited by fai2, 09 February 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi peoples

lm happy to say l have almost masterd all the tricks im learning , but the one that gets me the most is when l invert my EXP it wants to flip all the time
is this due to my handle being to big or small or am l especting to much out of my learning kite .
l have made 12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , inch handles and now l need to know wich one to use and at what wind strength for each one ..

cheers Marce

ps my SLE should be here tomorrow , cant wait , and next week my SUL arrives ...

Hi Merce,

Honestly, it doesn't much matter. I use the same handles for every wind condition outdoors, and even indoors. The different size handles just give a different feel, and different amount of sensitivity, for lack of a better word. Your kite's tenancy to flip while hanging inverted is because the kite is being over-controlled. Reverse and inverted flight is tricky because of this. A good way of explaining, is to say "Less is More."

Now, one could relate the kite's tendency to flip to the handle size, I suppose. One could say that the longer handles, being more sensitive, can cause one to over-control the kite more, because you are able to give a bit more break. However, in the end it all comes down to practice. If you can hold an inverted hover on 13" handles, I am confidant that you can do the same on 12, 14, and 15 inch handles.

Hope this helps,
Spence "Watty" Watson

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

I concur with my learned friend.

Simple answer to handle length.

Use whichever one you like best.

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

You would really need to personally determine which handles you prefer.
For the REV II, you might prefer the shortest handles.
For tricks you would likely prefer the longest handles.

I personally prefer very long handles for almost all of my flying.

My long handles measure 15.5 inches clip to clip. They are custom being .5" longer then the standard long handles.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

Its not the size of the handles that really matter its how they are adjusted :kid_smartass:

That being said I love my 17" custom no-snags from Walt.

As John M. said the shorter handles make the smaller Rev II easier to handle at first but in time you'll fly all kits on 1 set you like the most.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#6 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

I have tried a whole pile of handles and still come back to the B series regular handles for me.
It all comes down to how the foam feels in my fingers. To small to large or just right or to hard to soft.
Also my wrists only move so far due to my old job catching up with my aging joints.
Then of course dis guarding the top and bottom leaders and making my own extended half knot versions.
I also use three knots on the short bottom leaders for a little more adjustment.
I just love the squeak from the top triangles when you hit 180's hard after flying all day on a sandy beach.
As a team flier primarily I'm glad we are all on standard handles. Its bad enough already ducking on fast 180's.
Give the tall ones longer handles and us shorties would be skewered.
Either that or the tall lads would be walking funny.
As Chris says though its horses for courses. No right or wrongs. (apart from extending both top and bottom leaders....one step forward two back syndrome, whats with that)
Bazzer

Edited by Bazzer, 10 February 2010 - 08:21 AM.

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#7 fai2

fai2
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

I have tried a whole pile of handles and still come back to the B series regular handles for me.
It all comes down to how the foam feels in my fingers. To small to large or just right or to hard to soft.
Also my wrists only move so far due to my old job catching up with my aging joints.
Then of course dis guarding the top and bottom leaders and making my own extended half knot versions.
I also use three knots on the short bottom leaders for a little more adjustment.
I just love the squeak from the top triangles when you hit 180's hard after flying all day on a sandy beach.
As a team flier primarily I'm glad we are all on standard handles. Its bad enough already ducking on fast 180's.
Give the tall ones longer handles and us shorties would be skewered.
Either that or the tall lads would be walking funny.
As Chris says though its horses for courses. No right or wrongs. (apart from extending both top and bottom leaders....one step forward two back syndrome, whats with that)
Bazzer

Thanks guys

l went out yesterday for a quick fly after work and done some more practice , l have gone to a 13 inch and it seems my flying has improved heaps .
l can now hold a inverted hover slide with out moving all over the place ,all becauce of less movment on the handles ..
can somone tell me what the diffrence is having a vented and a unvented set up , l guess its for strong conditions having a vented it lets the wind get through without to much stress on the sail ..

cheers marce

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi Marce,

You are correct. The vented kite allows the flyer to take advantage of the higher wind speeds. However, many people will fly a vented, or mid-vent in as low of wind conditions as they can because of the feel of it. A vented rev flies a bit smoother, and sudden gusts do not affect the kite as much as it would on a full sail.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 fai2

fai2
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi Marce,

You are correct. The vented kite allows the flyer to take advantage of the higher wind speeds. However, many people will fly a vented, or mid-vent in as low of wind conditions as they can because of the feel of it. A vented rev flies a bit smoother, and sudden gusts do not affect the kite as much as it would on a full sail.

cheers le whatty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users