• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guru4tru

Guru4tru
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi Fellow Kiters,

As a relative newcomer to Kiting and active in forums, I have received enough personal e-mails, from concerned people, warning me about the “downside” of kiting…as if to protect me from the “bad guys”, that I thought I say a word on the subject. [Note: the word “guys” refers to both sexes as defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.]

First off let me mention that…I haven’t met a single person in “kiting” yet, that I didn’t like and respect…and that I didn’t think the feeling was mutual, even though in comparison I am a newcomer to the sport. So then, I really don’t know what they are talking about. But then my experience has been very limited, in kiting, to the AKA forum, the Kitelife forum and the TISKC (Treasure Island Sports Kite Competition) which I recently attended. But, I’m sure there are some “bad actors” in kiting, just as in anything else…I just haven’t run across any of them in the places I’ve been.

But I know…”Kiting” doesn’t make “angry people”, but there are probably some “angry people” that fly kites. Just as in any other art form that requires self discipline, perseverance and skill. Like as in the martial arts…The martial arts does not make people “angry” fighters. On the contrary, a black belt (those that are really accomplished in their art) is usually wrapped around a peaceful loving person, who rarely ever has, or wants, to fight! And when they have to fight…”anger” never takes part in anything that is going down.

Any person that has “anger” when kiting, whether in a “group fly” or in “competition” or within the “politics” that sometimes occurs with groups…brought that “anger” to the table on their own…”Kiting” Does Not make “angry people”!

So, how should an “angry person” be dealt with, becomes the question. The saying that, “One bad apple spoils the whole bunch” is true when it comes to apples, but we aren’t apples…we are people…”people” who this “kiting thing” is really important to and we are “people” that don’t want to throw any other “people”, or bad apples, away!

The answer is very simple…”Anger” is simply “FEAR”! If someone is “angry”…find out what they are “afraid” of…and take that “fear” away from them!! This is the responsibility of anyone that loves kiting to all other kiters, no matter what their actions are!
----------------
And what gives me the right to even speak on this subject when I am fairly new to Kiting?…Simply put “I Love Kiting and I Love People” and “fear” isn’t going to part of my world!

And for the “angry people” who may take offence to what I have just said and may challenge my right to say it (as a newbie, so to speak) let me mention that, I was a machine gunner in Vietnam, but I never fired a shot in “anger”, only out of duty and honor to my country. And now 35, or so, years later I have the same values as I did back then and no one is going to be “angry” around me without my trying to help to take that “fear” away from them!!

Keep It Up!
Duane

Edited by Guru4tru, 31 January 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#2 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to meet some of your friends that warned you about angry kite flyers. I'd like to beat the crap out of them to show them that we are not angry!:angry: Just kidding. I do not think that there is a one angry kiteflyer among us. This sport just does not lent itself to aggression. I mean, how stupid would it be to take your anger out on a $400 kite. I could understand that some people are angry about kit flyers for various reasons, but kit flyers themselfs? No way. BTW welcome to the club of airheads::P

Edited by manny, 31 January 2010 - 06:14 PM.

#3 KazeMizu

KazeMizu
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

Guru4tru, you are a wise man. As a black belt, father, teacher, husband & Kite Flier... Thank you for your support in the way I try to live my life, too.
Wings Over Washington Kite Club: http://www.wowkiteclub.com/index.htm

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

Nicely put Duane,

I am not sure what e-mails or messages you have been getting and from who, but can assure you that the majority of kite fliers out there (at least that I have met) are some of the most friendly and welcoming people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I too understand that there will always be that exception to the norm but if I ever get in that situation, I would just prefer to move along and continue to enjoy my passion of flying. There's no reason to miss out on my enjoyment because someone else has issues that are beyond my control - unless those issues happen to be me which I hope never happens.

The people who are involved in Kiting are great. Some of my closest and dearest friends came from this sport. I wouldn't worry about the e-mails and messages at all and just go enjoy the sport as much as possible. Meet those people and make your own assumptions.

#5 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

Duane.........

well put ! i am with kent most people are friendly and you do get the ocasianal D bag that will kill it for others. I Know where i live there are a bunch of duali flyiers who wont look at you twice if yr a begginer and wont help you out. i mean i ask for help and if i showed you this email you would wanna kick the crap out of these guys.I mean, plan stupid and wrong and these are the people who give us bad names.
I was in the park 1 spring day and there was a guy with a prism kite and he didnt know what he was doing so i said to him can i please help you and he cursed me out and told me if i touched his kite, may god have mercey on my or what is his soul anyhow lol ..... i was like wtf r u for real wow and my father looked at him and said " wow that is a nice american gesture of you" ( my father is a british)......... this got me so mad i went back to my home got my bag of kites and started tricking and showing the people at the park what kiting is all about. he got so pissed off, he left in anger, took his $120 prism kite i think mirage at the time and threw it on the floor and bashed it against the tree , and stomped at it and then as he walked away i said i will give you $10 bux for the sail he didnt like that either lol.

I always thought about what quad linning is all about. For me its a family. when you fly with a few people and do team stuff you need others to follow and you all need to do the same thing or it wont work , so by yr self its nothing but when you have all 4 kites in the air you can make something out of it.

donst sweat it at all. Btw i probally saw you in TI but i dont remember lol sorry buddy ha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#6 Guru4tru

Guru4tru
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

As I mentioned...I haven't met a kiter I didn't like, nor that I didn't feel liked me too!! Not a one!! We all shared the same interest. I'm into kiting and the future of kiting is important to me. But when I receive honest e-mails from people concerned about me and warning me about the "bad guys" in the sport.....
---------
Then I just Shine a Light on it...I make it public!

If it is false, no one is hurt and all become more aware...

If it is true, then the "bad guys" will run...and will know that we are aware!
----------
Other then my looking like a fool, which I probably am (heehee), it's a "no lose" to just tell the truth of my experiences.

Keep It Up!
Duane

#7 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Duane.........

well put ! i am with kent most people are friendly and you do get the ocasianal D bag that will kill it for others. I Know where i live there are a bunch of duali flyiers who wont look at you twice if yr a begginer and wont help you out. i mean i ask for help and if i showed you this email you would wanna kick the crap out of these guys.I mean, plan stupid and wrong and these are the people who give us bad names.
I was in the park 1 spring day and there was a guy with a prism kite and he didnt know what he was doing so i said to him can i please help you and he cursed me out and told me if i touched his kite, may god have mercey on my or what is his soul anyhow lol ..... i was like wtf r u for real wow and my father looked at him and said " wow that is a nice american gesture of you" ( my father is a british)......... this got me so mad i went back to my home got my bag of kites and started tricking and showing the people at the park what kiting is all about. he got so pissed off, he left in anger, took his $120 prism kite i think mirage at the time and threw it on the floor and bashed it against the tree , and stomped at it and then as he walked away i said i will give you $10 bux for the sail he didnt like that either lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is actually rather funny. Trash your kite because you can't get it to fly. You should re-post it here:
http://www.revkites...._20
Kind of goes with stop smoking. At least I felt like that once in a while when I stopped :devil:

Edited by manny, 31 January 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#8 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

As I mentioned...I haven't met a kiter I didn't like, nor that I didn't feel liked me too!! Not a one!! We all shared the same interest. I'm into kiting and the future of kiting is important to me. But when I receive honest e-mails from people concerned about me and warning me about the "bad guys" in the sport.....
---------
Then I just Shine a Light on it...I make it public!

If it is false, no one is hurt and all become more aware...

If it is true, then the "bad guys" will run...and will know that we are aware!
----------
Other then my looking like a fool, which I probably am (heehee), it's a "no lose" to just tell the truth of my experiences.

Keep It Up!
Duane

They must be referring to the "initiation" which you haven't had yet. I guess the guys doing the beating part with spars may be the bad guys, but in the end you'll like it.... Posted Image

Seriously, you have a lot of patience if you can listen to some a-hole fuming away and try to help them get past that. Good for you.

Bart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users