53 replies to this topic

#21 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Oooh man, I'm getting excited. I just dropped in a resource for the engine I'm using and tested it out and it works! I can now get song lengths and skip to positions in a song, which is pretty much all I needed. Now I just have to whip up a quick demo to test things out. I expect to have something basic to show off by the end of the month - stay tuned!
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)
------------------------------
"Watch out, I may land on you!"

#22 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Exciting stuff, I can't wait to give it a whirl!

And, thanks for the effort. :)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#23 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: too!

#24 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

lets see what you got!!!!!
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#25 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

UPDATE!! :)

Okay people, here's the full feature list so far for Kite Routine Builder (KRB - working title):

Easy to use, single-screen interface

Everything that you need to get set up and started will be presented on one screen. Occasional dialog boxes will pop up, such as saving a routine file, but otherwise the interface will be simple and straightforward with windows you can close/reopen to see more of the field at once

Routines exportable as a file for playback in external KRB playback app or as video

It's pretty pointless to purchase a copy of KRB just so you can see a routine in action. If I can't export a video file directly from the main KRB app, I will build a smaller KRB app that can be distributed easily so other people can view the routine, but not edit it.

Point and click routine paths

Setting a path in the editor will be as simple as pointing the cursor on the screen and clicking, a new node will be created and a line drawn, as well as a keyframe added to the timeline. The line on the screen can then be edited to form a curve of varying degree.

Single, Pair and Team min/max time limits imposed for Precision/Ballet

When creating a Precision routine, the editor will not allow you to select a routine time that is greater or less than the min/max regulation time for the chosen discipline. When creating a Ballet routine, the editor will not all you to load sound clips that exceed the min/max regulation time limits for the chosen discipline. (Choosing a Freestyle routine will not impose any time restrictions)

Interactive timeline for pacing routines

By controlling the location of keyframes on the timeline, you can adjust the speed of the kite as it flies various sections of the routine

Kite motion dictated by 2-line and 4-line settings

The editor will track the orientation of the kite avatar and will not allow, for example, dual-line kites to fly backwards, hover or perform any other quad-line maneuvers

Animations for kite tricks in routine

When flying along straight line paths, you can insert animations to simulate tricks such as fades, axels, lazy susans, etc

Line wrap display

As kites wrap around each other, the editor will track the number of times lines have twisted for various kites. Individual kites can be toggled to display what other kites they are wrapped around and how many times.

Support for an unlimited number of kites

Single, Pair and Team settings will limit the number of kites allowed on the field, but a Freestyle setting will allow as many kites as you want to help choreograph mega-flys

Kite avatars

3D models of a delta and Rev kite will be used to represent 2-line and 4-line kites. Possible feature: skin creation in order to make kites look like yours. Delta kite avatars can be assigned 4-lines as well.

Zoomable, unlimited flying field

Make your routines as big and grandiose as you wish, zoom the camera out to get the big picture or sweep in and pan around for a closer look at a particular maneuver.

Collision detection

The editor will not allow kite avatars to intersect with each other or the ground. Note that this does not mean lines the kites follow on the screen cannot intersect. Collision detection will occur only during routine playback

And for some eye candy, I've sketched out the basic interface:
sketch.JPG

Help Wanted

I need a 3D artist to whip me up a Delta and Rev kite model. These models will be animated to do tricks later, for now I just need the basic models
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#26 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:53 AM

Wow if this works it will make writing a routine a lot easier :lol: cant wait
GARY

Posted Image

#27 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

Single, Pair and Team min/max time limits imposed for Precision/Ballet

When creating a Precision routine, the editor will not allow you to select a routine time that is greater or less than the min/max regulation time for the chosen discipline. When creating a Ballet routine, the editor will not all you to load sound clips that exceed the min/max regulation time limits for the chosen discipline.

How about just giving a warning instead? This would make it a more versatile program.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#28 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

How about just giving a warning instead? This would make it a more versatile program.

Mike has got a good point here. A time restraint would not be helpfull for non-competition routines.

eg Too Much Fun had a routine that was nearly ten minutes long (or did it just seem like it with that music? :P )

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#29 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Mike has got a good point here. A time restraint would not be helpfull for non-competition routines.

eg Too Much Fun had a routine that was nearly ten minutes long (or did it just seem like it with that music? :P )

This is possible too, I didn't mentioned that. You can choose from Ballet, Precision and Freestyle settings for your routine. Obviously the Freestyle setting has no time restrictions

(I edited my above post to reflect this)
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#30 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Actually Stephen it was only 9.5 minutes long!! And what's wrong with the music I ask! :P ;)

Drew, What you ave listed so far looks outstanding. I did note you have a comment that says:

Kite motion dictated by 2-line and 4-line settings

The editor will track the orientation of the kite avatar and will not allow, for example, dual-line kites to fly backwards, hover or perform any other quad-line maneuvers

I assume this will allow a dual line to stall (hover) for a while, as this is a very valid a widely used move?

Otherwise just can't wait to see it.

Regards,

Mark.

#31 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

I assume this will allow a dual line to stall (hover) for a while, as this is a very valid a widely used move?

Good catch Mark, I'll allow 2-line kites to hover. Would you guys suggest a maximum time limit at which point I can warn the user that the hover may have extended too long?
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#32 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:51 AM

Loved what I have seen....

If you need help selling this let me know... I will represent you in Europe ;)

BTW is there any plans to make a Windows Mobile Version of this???? ;)

#33 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

BTW is there any plans to make a Windows Mobile Version of this???? ;)

That's not a platform I'm supporting right now, but - who knows? Maybe at some point.
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#34 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:02 AM

I asked because it is much easier to take a PDA to the beach then a Laptop... :P

#35 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

I asked because it is much easier to take a PDA to the beach then a Laptop... :P

True. I'll see about a feature that prints out the various steps in the routine (keypoint to keypoint) so you can that out to the beach instead.

Still working on a simple demo. The temps have been soaring into th e90's and we've been having A/C issues so working on the comp has been hard since I don't want anything (including me) to overheat. Also lost internet for a while thanks to a t-storm. Getting there tho...
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#36 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:31 AM

True. I'll see about a feature that prints out the various steps in the routine (keypoint to keypoint) so you can that out to the beach instead.

Still working on a simple demo. The temps have been soaring into th e90's and we've been having A/C issues so working on the comp has been hard since I don't want anything (including me) to overheat. Also lost internet for a while thanks to a t-storm. Getting there tho...

what programing language are you using????

let me know when you have a demo so I can test it....

#37 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

I'm using Torque Script. I'm actually using a game engine to develop this, not really and application layer of any sort. Game development is something I do on the side as a hobby.

Sorry for the fact that it's July and there's no demo :) However I do have the ability to click on the screen to assign points and then have the kite follow them. It's a start right? Hopefully I'll be able to find more time to work on it...

Oh and I still need a 3D artist.... (I'll start asking in more appropriate places soon but I figured I'd give someone from the rev community a chance first :P)
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)

#38 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

ho boy. So sorry guys but I haven't had a single spare minute of time to open up my code editor and work on this. however I still randomly think about it from time to time so it's not entirely dead!

#39 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

UPDATE!! :)

Help Wanted

I need a 3D artist to whip me up a Delta and Rev kite model. These models will be animated to do tricks later, for now I just need the basic models

Gaiiden, I'm not a 3D artist but Andy Wardley form the UK may be able to help, in more ways than one. Have a look at Wardley.org various areas may be of interest...

Simon.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#40 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

thanks Simon! I'll keep the reference for when I need it again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users