23 replies to this topic

#21 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Not the easiest especially for a beginner, but there are a couple ways to attempt launching with the bridle up.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#22 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Ha, relaunching, a frequent chore for a beginner. I watched John's video on flat relaunching. Works perfectly, but both situations covered in the tutorial involve the kite sitting on the briddle side. Since relaunching with the briddle on top is not covered, can I assume that there are no solutions for this situation, other than walking to the kite? Thanks.

RevWizard is right. Both of these suggestions will take some practice-
If the leading edge falls away from you, apply as much brake to the handles as is physically possible, and gently walk backwards. The vertical tips will be pointed at you, the kite will be flat to the ground, and if done right it should rise up. Gentle gentle inputs here for any corrections.. Once airborne, apply a slide input to either handle, while giving the opposite handle a pull on the lines with maximum forward. The wingtip you applied slide to will drive into the ground, and while that wing will be flipped, the other wing should be catching wind. A slide input to that wing should pop the Rev off the ground and help to fill the flipped wing. This technique has limited success on beach sand or any surface that will catch up the vertical tips while laying on the ground. Also, this doesn't always work well on the vented or Xtra vent.

Ok, so your Rev is laying face up with the leading edge pointed at you? This is where a little sand or rough terrain may help stop the leading edge from sliding toward you if you apply brake inputs. If that isn't an option (worked for me at Kite Party, but not at home), you'll need a little luck for the next one. With gentle tugs or a walk, position the leading edge so that one side is slightly closer to you. Pull the lines taught (all of them, you may need to hold the handles in an unnatural manner) and keep the handles chest height. This helps to keep the lines from being trapped under the Rev during the next step.. Now jerk the lines on the OPPOSITE handle sideways away from the kite, keeping the motion chest-high; the Rev will spin on the ground, and the leading edge will now be away from you (hopefully). Now you can follow the above advice to launch from that position.

I'll try and get video of what I'm describing on Monday.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#23 Ledur

Ledur
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the detailed answer. I understand that the trick here, is to bring the wing tips windwards before attempting the relaunch. Makes sense as this is the same approach suggested in John's video for the briddle down relaunch. Will experiment as soon as we get decent wind. For me, quicker relaunch means more flying and learning time.

PS

Just watched your "I love my B-Pro Rev" video. I dream of the day I can reach half the smoothness of your flying.

#24 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Sounds like you got it Ledur! Quick side note- sometimes you must run backwards instead of walk ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my video ^_^ everything came together so well that day!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users