20 replies to this topic

#1 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

This should be actually under News From Rev but I can't start a new topic there. So it is here.
I read in the GERMAN kite forum the News from USA. They say that Rev is coming out with new spars for the 1.5 series. They are based on the Zen spar construction. Is this a: true, b: whats the big deal, and c: why do I have to read about that in the GERMAN forum and not here?
Just curious

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

This should be actually under News From Rev but I can't start a new topic there. So it is here.
I read in the GERMAN kite forum the News from USA. They say that Rev is coming out with new spars for the 1.5 series. They are based on the Zen spar construction. Is this a: true, b: whats the big deal, and c: why do I have to read about that in the GERMAN forum and not here?
Just curious

Probably because you missed it on this forum and someone over there saw it on this forum. It was a bit hidden.
Check the last item, yesterday, in topic "Difference in Rev rods?".

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

Probably because you missed it on this forum and someone over there saw it on this forum. It was a bit hidden.
Check the last item, yesterday, in topic "Difference in Rev rods?".

Hmmm! I don't think that I saw it via the 'View New Content' link.

Felix

#4 chewbaka

chewbaka
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

jepp! it was me, who has "stolen" the link to kiteshoppe from this forum and transferred it "to germany".

but here, in this threat it is easier to find.

so what´s new about the spars??
we need some "official" information. ;-)

#5 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

jepp! it was me, who has "stolen" the link to kiteshoppe from this forum and transferred it "to germany".

but here, in this threat it is easier to find.

so what´s new about the spars??
we need some "official" information. ;-)

Saw the new spars last night. They are exactly the same as the new Zen spars which is too say the construction of them follows the same process. As for flight characteristics I'll know more after i get a chance to fly with them this morning.
I will say, they are very sexy and silky feeling!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#6 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

I will say, they are very sexy and silky feeling!

Hi Rich...

Just calm down ... lol ... you two just met!!! Posted Image
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#7 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi Rich...

Just calm down ... lol ... you two just met!!! Posted Image

Rich,

Please do kiss and tell!! Ben wouldn't bring out the Zen at Milwaukee until after I left ... then he used it for training purposes!!!! Jeeez ...

So, do describe what's different with the rods ...

Cheers,
Tom

#8 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

The Zen sticks are very light and flexible. I don't yet have much of an opinion on their strength, though I'll probably be a little more willing to test that aspect in higher winds once the spares I've ordered from my local dealer come in! The Zen leading edge feels pretty floppy (as per an earlier comment in another thread on which I commented on the difficulty of a 45 snap landing with the Zen), but that might not be as pronounced on a 7.5' leading edge. I'd be very curious to compare a race frame to a zen frame in a B-Pro.

Visually they appear to be made from woven pre-preg fabric instead of the unidirectional strips used in traditional rods. They have a completely smooth finish, instead of allowing the texture of the spiraled carbon strip to remain on the surface.

That in itself is not necessarily unique to the Zen rods. Back in the Day, one could get carbon arrow shafts (really, the only thing we had access to!) in both a "finished" and "unfinished" form. The unfinished was more similar to what we usually think of as Rev rods, but the same sticks could be bought in a sanded and smoothed version. For instance, I've got Easton AC 3-30 sticks at home from the early 90's...some of which have the wrapped appearance and others of which have a smooth finish.

The rods in my Zen don't have any kind of label on them, much to my surprise. I would assume that sticks manufactured later will have some sort of sticker as do all of the other Rev rods.

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

The prototypes I felt in NC last November were a bit floppy for the Zen, but I've not flown the production version yet.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'd love to get smooth finished sticks for my B-pros :w00t:

The abrasion of the down sticks is already creating wearing holes on my sails :kid_cussing: Does anyone have a solution for that???

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#11 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Visually they appear to be made from woven pre-preg fabric instead of the unidirectional strips used in traditional rods. They have a completely smooth finish, instead of allowing the texture of the spiraled carbon strip to remain on the surface.

Sounds similar to a Sky Shark PX rod...
dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#12 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

I just saw the set at the kiteshoppe. $110Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image That seems to me a bit overpriced. Are they really worth it?

#13 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I just saw the set at the kiteshoppe. $110Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image That seems to me a bit overpriced. Are they really worth it?

That's roughly the same price as a full 1.5 Race set...

#14 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

Here's some pics of the new Zen rods.

We have them in stock for the Zen, should have our 1.5 rods in the next week or so after KTAI.

The new Zen rods should have some really kewl stickers on them and have a very unique texture. The pics should show you what they look like.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zen Rod Stickers.jpg
  • Zen Rod Texture.jpg
  • Zen Rods 1.jpg

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

I've seen some of their rods made at the factory. The spiraling you see outside has really nothing to do with the carbon directly. It is the liquid or what ever you might call it, which I seem to remember was epoxy, that the carbon fiber is in. Once the carbon is wrapped around a mandrel. A cellophane tape is wrapped around this to hold it solidly in place. Then it goes into the baking oven which cures/hardens the epoxy. After the rods have cooled the cellophane is removed thus leaving the spiraling wrap effect. As far as I can determine, you could very lightly sand this smooth without effecting the strength of the rod or damaging them.
Please don't ask me to talk about the method used to wrap the rods. What I do know I won't discuss.
If I am incorrect on the above, I suspect Ben will correct me.
As for the Zen rods. I don't have a clue how they are made nor do I think I will ever be shown or told.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#16 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Here's some pics of the new Zen rods.

Thanks for posting- those look very cool! Definitely don;t look like the Sky Shark PX rods. The PX rods look like carbon fiber fabric. The Zen rods... that's something else entirely.

Edited by dagnabbit, 14 January 2010 - 06:50 PM.

dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#17 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Just curious

Hi Manny!

I took a set to the Long Beach Windless Indoor donated by Lolly for the Saturday night bag raffle.

Penny had the winning ticket! :)

Yes, they look just like the pictures Kent posted.

Should have them in stock when Lolly gets back from KTAI :)

T

#18 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

So for the last 4 days at TI I've been flying my Martin Lester full sail with the 1.5 Zen Rods that Ben so graciously lent me and said...."try and break em if you can"!!!!! I'm happy to say I didn't break them but i totally enjoyed flying the hell out of them!.

Without getting technical about their construction (John M's comment above about the process is dead on)

The center spar of the leading edge seemed to have a bit more flex then the outside/down spars which meant overall the sail loaded up with a different shape then say the Race Rods. The overall effect was that the kite was way more nimble and responsive to the point where slightly excessive inputs on the handles over-drove the kite, unlike the somewhat spongy feeling the bow and flex with race rods gives. I found myself letting out the forward more and more without feeling under powered in all the predictable places at the top of the window, etc. Definitely much more finesse flying. LOVED them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relatively speaking, I only got to fly my Zen for about 5 minutes so I can't really comparatively comment yet on the differences between the Zen and a 1.5.
I will say this though, the Zen is very definitely a kite that does not need anything more than a couple MPH. The damn thing lifts off the ground and loads up from a whisper!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#19 JoneZ

JoneZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

thats a great critique quaa. :) Thanks for that.
Being new to Rev flying, and thinking of snagging a race frame, your post has caused a little bit of duality in me. hehe
Now Im thinking of skipping the race rods and grabbing a set of zen rods. I mean, it's only $10 more and from the sound of your post, the performance is overall better, and a better fly, compared to the race rods.
I'd love to hear more from others who have gotten a chance to compare these 2 frames. :)
edit** Does anyone have the weight of both frames?

Edited by JoneZ, 18 January 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Formerly "Spz0"

-Namaste
~Jon

http://jonez.pcriot.com

#20 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi race rod equipped Zen-rod-coveting peeps.
If you are thinkin' of upgrading to the Zen rods, I could really use one replacement race rod - the outer or down spar. Make that two, to handle my next bad crash. :kid_content:

Shoot, I'm still playing catch-up (ketchup?) Race rods are my nirvana for now.

But seriously, if we meet at WSIKF or JB's workshop or sooner... :)
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users