Rev II

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cogley

Cogley
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

How do you think the new Rev II 2007 compares with the older single-piece sails?

I tried out my new Rev II at Nahant Beach near Boston. The new Rev II flaps and buzzes. What's the story here. I pulled out my 14-year old Rev II for comparison; no noise except for the whistle of the lines in high wind.

The flying experience for the new and old kites was comparable, except for the annoying buzz.

Lest you think I am just a complainer, I own and love to fly: Rev II, Rev II vented, Rev 1.5, Supersonic, Blast, and a home made ultralight. I love the Rev II because it is a good teaching kite. Being sturdy, you can trust it to a beginner and not worry about the inevitable crashes. Also, it has a light pull and is not as twitchy as the Supersonic.

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

Cogley, try extending your top lines (or shorten the bottom) when flying the new Rev II by about 1" to 2"... Should do something to eliminate or lessen the buzz.

Why is the new one buzzing? Only thing I can think of is that your old Rev II's bridle has been stretched out over time.

I'm sure you'll get some other input here as well.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

Cogley, try extending your top lines (or shorten the bottom) when flying the new Rev II by about 1" to 2"... Should do something to eliminate or lessen the buzz.

Why is the new one buzzing? Only thing I can think of is that your old Rev II's bridle has been stretched out over time.

I'm sure you'll get some other input here as well.

I kinda suspect there might be a sail material change.
I know back in the mid 90s, they were all made of nylon. I suspect the newer ones might be polyester sails.
Also as John mentioned, bridle stretch. The older bridles would stretch. I suspect the newer ones have spectre or similar bridles that don't stretch.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

i like the buzzing the louder the kite the better .. unless you do ballet flies than thats no good
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

Ugh, not me... I like 'em silent and deadly.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

its all about how you adjust them. 3 of mine are old, 3 are new. The new ones are lighter though. different sail material.

Ant? Do you have a REV II?

#7 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

its all about how you adjust them. 3 of mine are old, 3 are new. The new ones are lighter though. different sail material.

We have a handful of the new Rev II in the team and have not experienced the buzz that you have found. Have your looked at the sail tension? It may be that the bungees need a little tightening.

Other than that I suspect that John has hit the issue. Does it only buzz when flying powered? Is it ok if you are flying smooth and slow?

If it is only when fast then I suspect that your breaklines are too short. This causes the kite to "sheet" wind and this causes the noise. You can also replicate this on the other revs. You should also notice better performance if you shorten the break lines.

I quick test is to fly fast down and make a hard, full stop. If the kite does not come to an abropt stop then you need more break, if it stops and starts to go backwards or flips out, you have too much break.

As in all the best recipe adjust "seasoning" to taste :rolleyes:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

Great explanation Stephen.

John Barresi

#9 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Personally, Im fine with how some of them buzz and some don't. Gives me a little different experience with each of them.

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

no not yet im trying to make that my next order to finalize my shopping for this year my local shop is setting it up as we speak im going with the vented dpnt know what color yet

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:41 PM

I suspect your "year" must go from April to April Ant, somehow I cant see you going till January B4 you buy another kite.

#12 Cogley

Cogley
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

How do you think the new Rev II 2007 compares with the older single-piece sails?

I tried out my new Rev II at Nahant Beach near Boston. The new Rev II flaps and buzzes. What's the story here. I pulled out my 14-year old Rev II for comparison; no noise except for the whistle of the lines in high wind.

The flying experience for the new and old kites was comparable, except for the annoying buzz.

Lest you think I am just a complainer, I own and love to fly: Rev II, Rev II vented, Rev 1.5, Supersonic, Blast, and a home made ultralight. I love the Rev II because it is a good teaching kite. Being sturdy, you can trust it to a beginner and not worry about the inevitable crashes. Also, it has a light pull and is not as twitchy as the Supersonic.

#13 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

baloo as much as i dont want to im might have to wait till at least october :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users