• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pete

Pete
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:34 AM

Hello Revkites Forum  :D

Im currently flying a couple of rev kites (EXP and Shockwave) as the doctor, and my mum, banned me from big foils...

The kites are fantastic, but the lines I was supplied with are apalling, they stretch, so that their lengths need fettling before each flight and during flight they have a kind of elasticity that makes sharp control more difficult.

I was planning on replacing the lines with some Ozone lines (180 / 110kg - 25 meters for the shockwave, 70kg - 25 meters for the EXP). Im picking these lines because I know they are fantastic, dont stretch, and aren't elastic in flight but I was wondering if anyone here has different line choices / breaking strains / lengths that they would recomend.

I'm a real newbie with these kites - sorry if it seems like a bit of a daft question...

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

While I was over in Europe recently, I picked up two sets of Climax line which seems to be readily available over there. I've been very happy with it, no stretching and no binding when its wrapped up a few times.

Emkay / http://www.kitesandmore.co.uk/  is where I got one set from.

Also, "real" Laser Pro tends to be very stretch resistant
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 Pete

Pete
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for that monkey - the climax stuff does look good  :D

I have sent them a pestering email, plan B at this point is to just buy 70kg 25m flexi line for both kites.

Cheers - Pete

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

Ozone lines are a dyneema lineset and will continually stretch over time.  They are a very good line and work well for power kites, but I would not recommend them for Rev's.  Instead I would recommend a high quality spectra line such as Laser Pro Gold, Shanti, or equivelent.

I prefer Laser Pro Gold myself.  A spongy line on a Rev will drive you nuts and you will not have near the precision you should have.

#5 giuseppe

giuseppe

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi all,

I have just started the pursue of good kite lines, after having tasted the wine of team flying with other 6 revs...... :rolleyes:

I've been learning how to move and hover my revs using LaserPro Gold 85 ft (25 meters) line set but now it seems too short when flying with a team (thanks Team Bolau for the opportunity).

I'm a little bit confused after reading in windstarkites.com that "Laser Pro Gold is no longer being produced for the kite industry." while is it one of iQuad sponsors since 6 months ago. :blink:

In fact, it is difficult to get this particular kite line in Spain so I wonder what is the real thing.

We are thinkig of preparing six quad sets of about 105 ft, so a 3.000 ft 90 Lb LaserPro Gold reel would be great to achieve.

Could you give us some light about current status of LaserPro availability?

Thank you very much.

Jose Luis (aka Giuseppe)
Mistral Equipo de Vuelo
http://mistralequipodevuelo.blogspot.com

Posted Image

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,

I have just started the pursue of good kite lines, after having tasted the wine of team flying with other 6 revs...... :rolleyes:

I've been learning how to move and hover my revs using LaserPro Gold 85 ft (25 meters) line set but now it seems too short when flying with a team (thanks Team Bolau for the opportunity).

I'm a little bit confused after reading in windstarkites.com that "Laser Pro Gold is no longer being produced for the kite industry." while is it one of iQuad sponsors since 6 months ago. :blink:

In fact, it is difficult to get this particular kite line in Spain so I wonder what is the real thing.

We are thinkig of preparing six quad sets of about 105 ft, so a 3.000 ft 90 Lb LaserPro Gold reel would be great to achieve.

Could you give us some light about current status of LaserPro availability?

Thank you very much.

Jose Luis (aka Giuseppe)

There is no indication on the web site for LaserPro lines going off the market.
http://www.innotex.c...tions/index.asp
You could contact other kite shops such as:
www.gwtw-kites.com
www.cuttingedgekites.com
www.goodwindskites.com
etc.
They all offer LaserPro

The standard line length for quad team flying is 40mtr(120ft) line. Quad pairs often fly shorter on 30mtr(100ft).
If you fly with iQuad, Flic or most other teams and you have less then 40 mtr, you will be standing way in front of the other guys.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

well im sad to say my shop doesnt have 120 footers at the moment ill have to see who else has a set that can get them to a s a p
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

well im sad to say my shop doesnt have 120 footers at the moment ill have to see who else has a set that can get them to a s a p

Call GWTW, they had them a couple months ago. I bought four pairs of Shanti 90lb at 120ft to make up two quad sets. I did not ask about the stock of LaserPro as I have always had a preference towards Shanti as they use to sponsor me when I was still competing.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

We have the Shanti line in 90# 1000 ft rolls. We also have more of the pre-made Shanti quad line sets on their way in 75', 100', and 120' lengths.

Laser Pro is still manufacturing Spectra Kite line. They only discontinued to supply the pre-made linesets and only sell in bulk quantities now. Most shops will then take the bulk and make linesets from that. We still have some laser pro Gold linesets and when our next shipment of Laser Pro arrives, will have all weights in any length desired. I have personally been using Shanti for some time now and have grown very fond of it, I actually like it a lot better than Laser Pro because it seems to be less sticky/stiff.

Both the Laser Pro Gold and Shanti are the best you can buy and highly recommended for your kites.

#10 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Is there a berry blue fan in the house?

Once I stopped tangling it up I absolutely love it!

#11 mcruzzer

mcruzzer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:59 AM

Is there a berry blue fan in the house?
Once I stopped tangling it up I absolutely love it!

I use Berry Blue, but mainly because I can get pre-made sets easily now and not have to make up line sets like I do if I order LaserPro. I do like that it's not as stiff as LaserPro. Have not yet tried Shanti but plan to soon.

Jim
Jim Hodges

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

Related thread on Kitelife...

http://kitelife.com/...?showtopic=1429

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 giuseppe

giuseppe

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hi guys, Thank you very much for your help.
Now I understand much more these kind of lines.
It is time to find the correct dealer.

Jose Luis
Mistral Equipo de Vuelo
http://mistralequipodevuelo.blogspot.com

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users