8 replies to this topic

#1 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

I've been slighty getting the idea but any tips will help. I just haven't yet grasped the concept of pivoting the kite and keeping it on the center axis. When ever I try to do it I start moving in all sorts of directions and haven't quite figured out how to keep it stable. I want to learn this so I can start doing what looks like a clock like movement.
Louie Tiberio

#2 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

I've been slighty getting the idea but any tips will help. I just haven't yet grasped the concept of pivoting the kite and keeping it on the center axis. When ever I try to do it I start moving in all sorts of directions and haven't quite figured out how to keep it stable. I want to learn this so I can start doing what looks like a clock like movement.

I hear ya. I was practicing that today for an hour this morning. I just keep doing it over and over as slow as I can. It seems to be getting easier the more I do it. Then try it on the tip axis so I can latter up and down.

I was looking at your club web page and the pics of the beach where your fly. Sweet. Thatís a bit of a drive from the east coast but I will have to make it over for a weekend sometime whey you are having an event.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#3 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

I was looking at your club web page and the pics of the beach where your fly. Sweet. That's a bit of a drive from the east coast but I will have to make it over for a weekend sometime whey you are having an event.

Well sadly I don't get to fly with the club often because I am in the marines and I am based in North Carolina but I go home every couple of months to fly with them and yes there is an event coming up soon, June 30th to be exact. Its either going to be on Sand Key Beach or Treasure Island. I'll find out all the information for anyone who wants to go. My mother and her husband<Sherri and Steven Pigeon> are the ones who run the club so I can just give them a shout and they will tell me everything.
Louie Tiberio

#4 kite.flyer

kite.flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

Well sadly I don't get to fly with the club often because I am in the marines and I am based in North Carolina

Hi, Louie,

If you're in Cherry Point at the Marine base, you ought to go down to Atlantic Beach and stop by Kites Unlimited. Don Dixon runs the place and could probably get you in contact with several quad flyers in that area. Flying with others is especially good for learning to handle the Rev. And it's a lot of fun, too. A friend of mine that learned to fly Revs in Atlantic Beach has turned many of the WACKOS into a bunch of quad heads.

Marty Groet

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:16 AM

I'd say you want to work on neutral, or a stationary hover first. The Rev turns based upon decent as air pressure changes on the two triangles. So you may need to compensate by applying a pull to the top wing WHILE you do tiny rotational moves (if your intention is to remain in the same location), otherwise the kite will get lower and lower as you do quarter turns.

Practice flying the kite to shoulder height and holding it even and stationary with the leading edge parallel to the horizon. Okay now do that again, but this time backing it up from inverted position on the ground. Little tiny adjustments are constant and unconcsious, the tiniest of flicks between a pivot point (whatever is comfortable for you personally) I rock the handles on the point above the foam, at the tops with delicate grip balanced on my index finger. Don't squeeze the angry cobra!, instead hold a baby chick in you hand,... that's the kind of grip to develop, the sensitivity to feel the kite signaling you!

Quarter turns are done with action applied to both grips simultaneously. Imagine one slightly pushed forward and the other hand is snapping backwards by an index finger flick at the same moment. The whole time you are balancing the kite at a central point in a hover. It's useless to work on the turns until you can hold it neutral/hover.

Now go back to a hover, only this time start with the kite balanced on it's leading edge, then side-slide it up and down. Find a cloud or something visual and pretend you are balancing the kite on it. Do it upright, inverted and on a wing tip both left and right sides.

Go back to the quarter turns and try it again. Don't get frustrated, you can always improve w/more practice!

THINK: neutral, tiny movements, pull the top wing slightly to keep altitude
practice until it's unconscious

Go watch Barresi and then decide you'll never look that good EVER, so crank-up the tunes and enjoy yourself just flying

#6 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

Go watch Barresi and then decide you'll never look that good EVER, so crank-up the tunes and enjoy yourself just flying

Paul, you give great advice as usual, and this particular gem has worked well for me!

:lol:
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#7 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:54 AM

Hi Louie,
Don't know how I missed your post earlier but I see it now.

Marty is right. By all means get down to Atlantic Beach and Kites Unlimited. They are located in Atlantic Station Shopping Center. When you get on the island from Morehead City, turn right on Fort Macon Rd., the shopping center will be on your right in about 1/2 mi..

Don and Jeri Dixon run the place and are great people! Ask them to hook you up with Jeff, Ed, or Ross. They are some of the local Rev flyers. I'm in the Raleigh area and try to get down as often as possible which is not often enough.

Kites Unlimited has a Sunday morning fly every week weather permitting at Fort Macon, on the beach, near the jetty, across from the fort's flag and cannon.

Read RevFlyers post, he has it pretty well nailed. Make sure you can hold a steady hover in all positions, then start putting it together. Practice inverted flying regularly. Above all, practice, practice, practice.

Give me a shout if you want, PM or Don and Jeri can get us in touch.

Oh, I should have started with this...
Louie, thank you for your service to our country. May God keep you and our troops safe.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#8 louiedogg03

louiedogg03

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thank you all a bunch and I beat you to the punch, I already starting flying with the group every sunday down at atlantic beach. I met the owner of Kites Unlimited, he is a very nice guy. I think there store is awesome but sadly I can't pusrchase anything there cause my parents would dis-own me seeing how they recently purchased Kites Ville in Sand Key, Florida. Thank you all for the tips and serving this country is no problem, it's the least I can do for everybody. :lol: Now go fly a kite!!!!!
Louie Tiberio

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

Pivot, rotation discussion here too...

http://kitelife.com/...?showtopic=2941

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users