#121 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

John,

The scenario is that I've previously read a thread and then see a new posting. When I click on the gold icon to the left of the title, where is the bookmark info stored as to where I am in reading the thread? Is it on my computer or on the Rev forum computer?

Cheers,
Tom

#122 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

If I understand correctly, what you're referring to is called a "cookie"... Same as is used by Facebook, your NetFlix account or most forums. :)

It's stored on your computer and correlates with a record in your account, full description is here - http://en.wikipedia....Internet_cookie

Our cookies are clean, and chocolaty. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#123 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

If I understand correctly, what you're referring to is called a "cookie"... Same as is used by Facebook, your NetFlix account or most forums. Posted Image

It's stored on your computer and correlates with a record in your account, full description is here - http://en.wikipedia....Internet_cookie

Our cookies are clean, and chocolaty.

Wonder if that's what Bart is seeing (or not seeing as the case is) when he jumps from his home computer to his business computer? When he comes home after surfing at work, the home computer cookies are not up to date.

I've switched computers for the trip we're on right now and at the start, all my bookmarks seemed to have disappeared. Now that I've been surfing for a couple of days, everything seems to be working correctly again ... like the cookies are up to date!

Cheers,
Tom

#124 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Wonder if that's what Bart is seeing (or not seeing as the case is) when he jumps from his home computer to his business computer? When he comes home after surfing at work, the home computer cookies are not up to date.

I've switched computers for the trip we're on right now and at the start, all my bookmarks seemed to have disappeared. Now that I've been surfing for a couple of days, everything seems to be working correctly again ... like the cookies are up to date!

Cheers,
Tom

I just have a ton of issues with none of them making sense or being consistant. I do know that jumping between the work and home computer before the upgrade didn't have any issues.

Any given time I may be "forgotten", the links for the current topics on the main Rev page just vanish or show only one or a couple not all of them, I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to go to the first topic on a post or the last.

I've started using the active topics link just to have a consistant start point. This is basically what I would have on the main Rev page if it were to show up on a regular basis.

Bart

#125 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

I just have a ton of issues with none of them making sense or being consistant. I do know that jumping between the work and home computer before the upgrade didn't have any issues.

Any given time I may be "forgotten", the links for the current topics on the main Rev page just vanish or show only one or a couple not all of them, I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to go to the first topic on a post or the last.

I've started using the active topics link just to have a consistant start point. This is basically what I would have on the main Rev page if it were to show up on a regular basis.

Bart

Hi Bart,

I have not been following this thread but switching from one computer to another is going to present a different 'interface' without a doubt.

If you were able to access one machine via a 'virtual' desktop you may be able to maintain consistency. I use Remote Desktop Connection. Works a treat...

Felix

#126 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

I think with the old format your settings and preferences were stored on the server more than your computer, When I would swap comps things stayed mostly the same.

This new format seems to store more on your computer which is why you are getting the problems going from work to home.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#127 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

It doesn't explain why one computer forgets me all the time and the other computer forgets me some of the time. It's a little thing, but it probably annoys me the most.

Bart

#128 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

It doesn't explain why one computer forgets me all the time and the other computer forgets me some of the time. It's a little thing, but it probably annoys me the most.

Bart

Probably Microsoft magic... Call Bill! (Oh, he doesn't work here any more)

Felix

#129 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

It shouldn't be computer dependent. I go back and forth often and even change browsers(they don't share cookies(who can blame them)) with relative ease. They all keep track of who I am and what topics I have and haven't read. The only problems I have consistently is the browser Chrome going to the last read item within a thread.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#130 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Aye, it's not station dependent... I can go from my iMac on hard line to Macbook on the neighbor's wifi to my iPhone on 3G, and the forum will keep my viewed/not viewed topics straight.

Jumping around like that, *sometimes* I actually have to log in, but it's very rare unless if I've gone 1/2 way across the country between logins.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#131 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

I also have many of the problems folk are describing here re going to last posts etc, posts vanishing, unexplained red boxes appearing, going on about it could well cause another tantrum.
My machine works perfectly for every other use I have for it, it should not be neccessary to fiddle with settings just because one forum will not work properly.
Perhaps the quotation should have been "the geek shall inherit the earth"
The judgemental, we know best over controlling nature being displayed on this forum is becoming a drag.
Another one bites the dust,
Cheers Bruce

#132 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

Aye, it's not station dependent... I can go from my iMac on hard line to Macbook on the neighbor's wifi to my iPhone on 3G, and the forum will keep my viewed/not viewed topics straight.

Jumping around like that, *sometimes* I actually have to log in, but it's very rare unless if I've gone 1/2 way across the country between logins.

JB,

That suggests 'log in' dependency then! Not cookies, possibly?

Felix

#133 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

The keeping track of if you are logged in is a function of the cookies. You can test this by logging in using the stay logged in option. leave the page and clear cache in the browser. When you go back to the page you will need to log in again. (Lost the cookie when you cleared cache). What you, as a logged in member, have looked at from any logged in computer and what is still unread is a function of the server side programs running the forum. Weather you are logged in or not the servers data base knows where you have been within the forum. Scary isn't itPosted Image.
As you click a link to show you the last read post in a topic, the server side data base tells the forum program what that is and it in turn gives your browser a link to it. Now you hope your browser understands that link and takes you to where you wanted to go. Where I work they just call it all "FM".Posted Image

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#134 pitviper51

pitviper51

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

Upgrades look great! Now I just need to fly more..
mike

#135 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

The keeping track of if you are logged in is a function of the cookies. You can test this by logging in using the stay logged in option. leave the page and clear cache in the browser. When you go back to the page you will need to log in again. (Lost the cookie when you cleared cache). What you, as a logged in member, have looked at from any logged in computer and what is still unread is a function of the server side programs running the forum. Weather you are logged in or not the servers data base knows where you have been within the forum. Scary isn't itPosted Image.
As you click a link to show you the last read post in a topic, the server side data base tells the forum program what that is and it in turn gives your browser a link to it. Now you hope your browser understands that link and takes you to where you wanted to go. Where I work they just call it all "FM".Posted Image

Yeah, sometimes it just best, not to question, that kind of "Magic". Just go with it, and don't ask questions...........HA HA Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users