134 replies to this topic

#61 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

Agreed on IE (of any version), it's an infinitely inferior browser, prone to all sorts of bugs and glitches, heavy to run as well.

Bart, the problems you're experiencing in IE7 vs IE8 aren't version specific, I'm sure someone else here is on IE7 and can confirm they have no problems?

Firefox and Chrome are both pretty light weight, I use Firefox exclusively, but Chrome has tested faster and lighter on this end. :)

I understand about the first/last post thing... I'll see what I can do, it's not being ignored.

I have used and do use all three. IE at work because I HAVE to. When Firefox came out I loved it and still use it some times due to the many add ons such as being able to save U-Tube videos. I have been using Chrome 99% of the time at home for quite some time now. It is just so darn fast! The first clue is when you download and install it. It only took a few minutes. At first I was having problems with Kitelife's new forum and when Revs came out as well. They never went to the last read post. JB has done a ton of work so I don't know if he fixed it or the links are just being rebuilt as I look at different threads but thing are better now. I think that the upgrade turned out great no matter what you use to look at it.
MMmmmm maybe I should find my old version of Netscape and try it out.....

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#62 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hey Jeff ... Hey Jeff ... Hey Jeff,

Don't you just love the banner ... I mean John went out of his way to pick McKite as one of honored ones!!!

Cheers,
Tom

Folks ... In case you don't know; at Kite Party 7, Jeff started calling my Gold and Rashberry (2002) SUL "McKite" ... something about McDonald's trash littering the beach. So, Mr. M, thanks for placing it prominently in the banner where he'll have to look at it each and every time he surfs the forum!!!

#63 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

Don't you just love the banner ... I mean John went out of his way to pick McKite as one of honored ones!!!

Cheers,
Tom

Folks ... In case you don't know; at Kite Party 7, Jeff started calling my Gold and Rashberry (2002) SUL "McKite" ... something about McDonald's trash littering the beach. So, Mr. M, thanks for placing it prominently in the banner where he'll have to look at it each and every time he surfs the forum!!!

I noticed that...I wondered if we had gotten a new sponsor here. :blue-grin:

To be fair, I never said anything about trash...I was just McRibbing you.

Edited by Jeff, 23 December 2009 - 08:06 AM.

CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#64 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

At work today. IE7

I can go in from the main Rev page to the topic without the browser crashing.

It did not remember me from my last sign on yesterday.

Clicking the topic still takes me to the very last post so I am still scrolling up to find where I left off.

The drop down box for signing on still closes when I click in the user ID field.

Bart

Edited by bartman, 23 December 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#65 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

All is working fine here, Clicking the Title does bring me to last read position which is fine by me seeing as that little orange box is small to click on.

Love the fact that I don't have to resign in every 3 visits like on Kitelife but I suspect that when John was updating all was reset causing that so no biggie.

All my preset closed cells stay put, New content comes up as supposed to all seems fine and dandy Much better transition than I expected ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#66 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Cheers,
Tom

I remember the forum messages last February, but really, the photo is actually from my McKite which I call "Mango/Raspberry". It reminds me of two of my favorite fruits.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#67 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi folks, our upgrades are 99.9% complete...

Just ironing out a good header, the clouds and logo are temporary.

Here is a very rough beginning concept for the header, being worked on by our admin extraordinaire, John Mitchell.

All feedback is welcome, but after nearly 42 hours awake, I'm going to decompress and sleep.

Peace out my quad homies! Posted Image

John B Good job. I made through Monday without the forum by flying all day.

Merry Christmas
John

#68 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

What is everyone's take on the popout login box on the home page?

Useful? Useless? Unnecessary?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#69 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Many Thanks!

Your point, we debated also on the Historical REV, of which this header is based. The B and the B Pro have the same panel layouts on the same size thus it was decided to use the new B Pro with the higher variety color combination. As the dates were progressive and the B Pro was going to be the last in the train it was decided to use the 2009 date. However now the Zen takes the last place, the B Pro could be moved forward before the REV II 2009 in the header and labeled 2007. I'll try it out shortly.

Hi John,

I'm thinking that I should be setting up a parallel listing of The Dec's JMH designs. <grins>

As the original design was very early 90s digital records are not currently available. I recently found the 1994 design and posted it on the Decs site.

Felix

#70 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

My vote: not broke, so don't fix it. Yes, redundant, but it's not intruding into the page. Bigger fish to fry...

HTH
Andy

#71 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi John,

Are you referring to the right hand end of the header area with the Sign Out / Help option?

If so, it appears to offer appropriate access without interfering with other options. I had expected the controls offered to be included in the main menu options, Forum, Members, Gallery etc.

Felix

#72 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

Two ways...

1. As it is now, right from the index, log in box drops down for one-page login.
2. Remove it, click on "sign in", takes you to a second page for logging in.

Reason I ask, two people have reported that they can't click their cursor into the fields, and have to use the tab key to get there.

Those who have similar issues and don't know about the tab key might not be able to log in.

Thoughts?

Reminder as well, please start using the Posted Image on all posts that give you useful knowledge or are reporting something that makes your life here easier.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#73 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Oh the tab key you say? Never tried that.

Regardless, I say ditch the drop down. It is quicker to click once then login instead of waiting for the box to drop down.

I am still being forgotten after I close the window and come back later. I've logged in about 5 times today from work just to see if it was remembering anything, but not.

I was going to mention the links at the top.

Revolution Kites (click for main site) takes you right back to the splash page with the counter. Wouldn't it be better to go back to the main page after the splash page? Or, have a second link that doesn't go as far back.

To me, clicking on the Revolution logo should take me back to the main splash page and the link under it to the index page. Just me. I know on the old board it was the same way and I found going back to the splash page odd then too.

Bart

#74 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I hate to alway be the gadfly, but I'm not a fan of those in general.

I use a program to record and maintain all my logins and passwords. It autofills the login info for me. When I select a site from the program's tool bar, it navigates there, enters my credentials, and logs on. It can't do that with pop up blocks. It gives an error, and I have to manually open the block.

It's not a huge deal, Classic Blue and going to the first post on thread title clicking are more important to me, but I just thought I'd register my opinion.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#75 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

Two ways...

1. As it is now, right from the index, log in box drops down for one-page login.
2. Remove it, click on "sign in", takes you to a second page for logging in.

Reason I ask, two people have reported that they can't click their cursor into the fields, and have to use the tab key to get there.

Those who have similar issues and don't know about the tab key might not be able to log in.

Thoughts?

Reminder as well, please start using the Posted Image on all posts that give you useful knowledge or are reporting something that makes your life here easier.

I just 'signed out' and 'signed in' without seeing issues. Once signed in the options seem clear... What OS is having a problem with the tab key?

Felix

#76 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi John,

I'm thinking that I should be setting up a parallel listing of The Dec's JMH designs. <grins>

As the original design was very early 90s digital records are not currently available. I recently found the 1994 design and posted it on the Decs site.

Felix

Do you need a header for the DECs web site with all JMH's designs?
I might have a picture Joergen's earlier design which I could recreate in Illustrator.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#77 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Do you need a header for the DECs web site with all JMH's designs?
I might have a picture Joergen's earlier design which I could recreate in Illustrator.

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer. I basically need to get hold of original images. It occurred to me that the recent Berlin event had used an image of the original design but it appears from the Revolution Logo placing that it was of the sails that were re-made in 1999.

My memory is that the original logos may have been blue....

Felix

#78 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

Alright, I'm dropping the dropdown login to eliminate any potential technical issues for ALL users...

Those who don't like going to a second page, well, we love you, but get over it. ;)

John Barresi

#79 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

Just signed out/in. I guess I missed the whole tab thing. It took me to a sign in page and did so no problemPosted Image

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#80 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

The snow is a nice touch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic