134 replies to this topic

#41 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

Also, I'd love folks to get into the habit of pressing Posted Image on helpful, useful, informative posts whenever appropriate.

Any post with more than 5 positive marks should become highlighted somehow, to make it easier to spot.

Thanks for this John, i had not seen it (cause i don't really pay attention). This could be really helpful when trying to find something in a years time that i know i read somewhere but now can't find.

I for one like the new format. I'm sure there are enough of you out there who understand these things to help the rest of us out when we do something stupid.

Stephen

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#42 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Oh, and for the record... The plus/minus feature does NOT work on Classic Blue, as it's still in beta stages as a template (beyond the work we're doing on the header image).

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#43 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

I think you guys are doing a great job... a suggestion to try on the header... make the white shadow lines in the revolution on the left the same yellow as the sun on the right... darken the dark blue in revolution just a shade or two... and balance that blue with the blue to the right of the sun??

I tried to do it in gimp to show you, but you probably have a better master you can change easier... (just a thought for you to consider... :D

The logo work is all in vector graphics and exported into raster for thus web site.
I tried the yellow in place of white. It just doesn't work. The depth effect is lost, thus creating more an outline of the characters. Thanks anyway for the thoughtful idea.
I am still working on the background in particular the blue to the right of the yellow.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#44 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

I've put the current working draft on the header... It's obviously not "the one", needs a lot of work still (no slight to John's efforts at all).

However, the sample is there to look at, I'm sure he'll value any suggestions from all of you after seeing it in actual use above. ;)

I've already suggested:

1. More breathing room around the logo and kites, as well as between the kites themselves.
2. Slightly larger or more legible font for the years next to each kite.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#45 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

I've put the current working draft on the header... It's obviously not "the one", needs a lot of work still (no slight to John's efforts at all).

However, the sample is there to look at, I'm sure he'll value any suggestions from all of you after seeing it in actual use above. ;)

I've already suggested:

1. More breathing room around the logo and kites, as well as between the kites themselves.
2. Slightly larger or more legible font for the years next to each kite.

Just be aware that the wider the kites spread on the header, those with smaller monitors or the window not maximized could have the profile box on the right encroach on and cover some of the kites.

Edited by Jeff, 22 December 2009 - 05:52 PM.

CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#46 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

At home with IE8 now.

Jumping from the Rev main page to a topic is working so far.

I'm still being remembered after 2 hours.

Still not going to the top of a post. It jumps right to the last post even if I haven't read the previous 5 on the thread so I'm scrolling backwards to find where I left off. I could be fine with not going to the first post, but to the last one I've read, but jumping to the very bottom and having to hunt up is annoying.

The thumbnail photo bandwidth does appeart to be related to guest status and does go away when signed in.

Sure would be nice if it would work with IE7 as well as 8. Version 8 has only been out for a bit so a little early to abandon proper operation on 7 I think.

My idea for the banner is not to use the full kite, but maybe half or just one third of a wing. Same idea, more detail could be seen then.

Things are pretty spaced out compared to the old forum. I do prefer more compact, but that is minor disappointment, not a deal breaker.

Bart

#47 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Still not going to the top of a post. It jumps right to the last post even if I haven't read the previous 5 on the thread so I'm scrolling backwards to find where I left off. I could be fine with not going to the first post, but to the last one I've read, but jumping to the very bottom and having to hunt up is annoying.

Yeah, that one still needs to be ironed out.

#48 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Sure would be nice if it would work with IE7 as well as 8. Version 8 has only been out for a bit so a little early to abandon proper operation on 7 I think.

My idea for the banner is not to use the full kite, but maybe half or just one third of a wing. Same idea, more detail could be seen then.

Bart

Try Firefox 3.5 in comparison to IE8/7. You just might like it more. I use IE8 only as a backup when a web site does not function properly with Firefox. That is quite rare for me.

Many Thanks for your input concerning the banner. The idea is to have a series of REVs from the earliest to the latest. Partial sails/wings wouldn't quite work for this as you can see by the various panel layouts.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#49 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Agreed on IE (of any version), it's an infinitely inferior browser, prone to all sorts of bugs and glitches, heavy to run as well.

Bart, the problems you're experiencing in IE7 vs IE8 aren't version specific, I'm sure someone else here is on IE7 and can confirm they have no problems?

Firefox and Chrome are both pretty light weight, I use Firefox exclusively, but Chrome has tested faster and lighter on this end. :)

I understand about the first/last post thing... I'll see what I can do, it's not being ignored.

John Barresi

#50 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

I mostly use Firefox myself, but I've been putting more and more time in with Chrome since the beta with extensions came out. It's snappy.

#51 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

I really can't say I have any issues with IE. I find it works fine for everything I've ever wanted to do. But I also have never had any real issues with Vista either while others have hated it so...

Having IE7 at work not remember me is not the end of the world.

The last post jump instead of last post not read jump is more of a pain. It doesn't really make much sense that it would jump to the very end and skip past all the posts that still may need to be read. Very odd.

Overall the problems I'm having are minor. Not going to be hard to get used to over time. Not as drastic as I thought it may be which I am glad for.

Bart

#52 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

I really can't say I have any issues with IE. I find it works fine for everything I've ever wanted to do. But I also have never had any real issues with Vista either while others have hated it so...

I agree with you on Vista. The only issue I ever had is that it tends to be a resource hog, however it is not a big issue with me as I have a newer dual core cpu. Once I was use to Vista, I really did not want to work with XP or earlier again. Now I am on Windows 7 and quite happy. It also is not a resource hog.

#53 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

Probably I'll look at W7 around April or so. No rush to do it and need to ensure the two systems are going to be okay with it. I have a friend who went from Vista to W7 and has been having major issues getting it to upgrade.

In any event, so far tonight the fourm has remembered me all evening. I'll check again at work tomorrow.

Bart

#54 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Hello John (s)-

Congratulations!!!
This is great. Honestly, I have spent very little time in Kitelife, so I'm not familiar with all of the little nuances there. I haven't played with anything here, other than the basics to do the usual stuff. It's straightforward, no big shock value or anything that seemed to concern so many. I like the easy access to various sites and all of the quick info references down the side of the main page. To me, it's quite easy and just seems to "flow nicely". I'm not sure that it's worth looking at the other skins since this seems fine the way it is.

John M-
Awesome stuff; as usual!
I'm curious about one thing with the header. I'm not sure why or how you chose the Revs you did. It seems to me that the B-Series, which I believe came out in 2007, is an integral part of the Rev History. The Zen uses its panel layout and of course, the B Pros are huge right now, too. My point being that without the original B-Series, there would be no platform for the rest to follow. So, I'm thinking it deserves it's rightful place in the history lineup.

Keep up the great efforts!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#55 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

I like the new banner alot, looks cool. I would like that in a small size wall mounted poster.

Ken

#56 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

John M-
Awesome stuff; as usual!
I'm curious about one thing with the header. I'm not sure why or how you chose the Revs you did. It seems to me that the B-Series, which I believe came out in 2007, is an integral part of the Rev History. The Zen uses its panel layout and of course, the B Pros are huge right now, too. My point being that without the original B-Series, there would be no platform for the rest to follow. So, I'm thinking it deserves it's rightful place in the history lineup.

Keep up the great efforts!!

Many Thanks!

Your point, we debated also on the Historical REV, of which this header is based. The B and the B Pro have the same panel layouts on the same size thus it was decided to use the new B Pro with the higher variety color combination. As the dates were progressive and the B Pro was going to be the last in the train it was decided to use the 2009 date. However now the Zen takes the last place, the B Pro could be moved forward before the REV II 2009 in the header and labeled 2007. I'll try it out shortly.

#57 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

I like the new banner alot, looks cool. I would like that in a small size wall mounted poster.

Ken

How about a full size REV 1.5 with a similar layout?
Give your local REV dealer or Ben a call, they is taking orders now.

#58 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Love the new banner John.

Quick question I am sure is easily answered (not about the banner John)

When I post a reply I am in the habit of clicking the back arrow at the top of the IE page to go back to the list of posts I want to read.

There must be a better, less clikcy way of geting there, it takes me 3 or 4 clicks?

#59 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

Rephrase, differently please?

John Barresi

#60 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Everyone (who hasn't done so already) might benefit from clicking on View New Content....

That seems to be my first port of call each visit - seems much easier to get a digest of new postings via that selection. :)
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users