134 replies to this topic

#21 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

Looks like this is an issue. I'm sure it can be fixed. Clicking the thread title should take you to the start of the thread. Clicking the orange symbol to the left of the title (if there is one) should take you to the first unread post, and clicking the rightward facing arrow near the last post date, or the date, should take you to the last post of the thread.

I have read this thread earlier this morning. When i returned and hit the "new content" link it took me right to the first post that was new since my last visit.
Is that not the way we want it?

#22 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

I don't know of any other forum I belong to where you do not have the option of going to the first post as a default.

But, this topic worked this time when I came back it went to the first post. So, go figure. I did switch the forum options between standard, linear and back to standard in between so maybe that had something to do with it.

Bart

#23 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

I don't know of any other forum I belong to where you do not have the option of going to the first post as a default.

But, this topic worked this time when I came back it went to the first post. So, go figure. I did switch the forum options between standard, linear and back to standard in between so maybe that had something to do with it.

Bart

I had the same experience. I wonder if in the change over, the new software didn't pick up the knowledge of where you were at in reading the threads? Once you reopen a thread, then it remembers to bookmark the last post in that specific thread.

Cheers,
Tom

#24 boomzilla

boomzilla

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

looks good, & working smoothly...thanks
glenn pickard
http://rifleart.com/

#25 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have read this thread earlier this morning. When i returned and hit the "new content" link it took me right to the first post that was new since my last visit.
Is that not the way we want it?

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing...here's what I'm saying...

Posted Image

But it appears that clicking the thread title takes you to the last post in the thread instead of the first. That is happening to me as well.

Edited by Jeff, 22 December 2009 - 11:32 AM.

CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#26 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

<pic removed>

But it appears that clicking the thread title takes you to the last post in the thread instead of the first. That is happening to me as well.

Exactly as you described. I wasn't aware of the orange icon function. Thanks!

#27 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Posted Image

I think I am having the opposite problem, wherever I click, thread title or orange box, I am always taken to the top if the thread i.e,the first post, but I was just putting this down to either a teething problem or mouse operator error and I figured it would sort it's self out with time.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#28 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

I think I am having the opposite problem, wherever I click, thread title or orange box, I am always taken to the top if the thread i.e,the first post, but I was just putting this down to either a teething problem or mouse operator error and I figured it would sort it's self out with time.

That is what's supposed to happen when clicking the thread title, but the orange icon should take you to the first unread post.

Try this if you're having the problem we were just discussing above....

Click on "View New Content."

Then below that in the forum's header bar you will see (mark all items as read) Click that.

It should clear out whatever is sticking...I don't know if it's a cookie that needs updating, or if the server is keeping track, but that seemed to reset the forum's memory for me, and it's doing the right thing now.

EDIT: Wait, I take that back. After the next new post, it returned to that behavior. Clicking the thread title took me to the end of the thread again.

Edited by Kitelife, 22 December 2009 - 02:05 PM.

CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#29 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Yup, back to taking me to the first unread reply now.

Also forgot me in the last 2 hours.

Now the thumbnails of the recently gallery entries at the top just say I have reached my bandwidth and cannot view them. I had not even clicked on any of them yet to view so the bandwidth message seems to be odd.

Bart

#30 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

That is what's supposed to happen when clicking the thread title, but the orange icon should take you to the first unread post.

Yes I know that's my point.

Try this if you're having the problem we were just discussing above....

Click on "View New Content."

Then below that in the forum's header bar you will see (mark all items as read) Click that.

It should clear out whatever is sticking...I don't know if it's a cookie that needs updating, or if the server is keeping track, but that seemed to reset the forum's memory for me, and it's doing the right thing now.

EDIT: Wait, I take that back. After the next new post, it returned to that behavior. Clicking the thread title took me to the end of the thread again.

No I think it may have done something for me, the folder icons (far left col) are now colour, they were black. I think this may be the new software getting to know us, what I meant when I said -

..... but I was just putting this down to either a teething problem or mouse operator error and I figured it would sort it's self out with time.

and you more technically referred to as cookies.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#31 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Update: Since marking all topics as read, clicking on the date stamp takes me to the last post in a thread, I now need another post in another thread to test if the orange box is now working, can somebody please post a dummy reply in
This thread to generate another orange box so I can test the theory? Thanks.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 22 December 2009 - 01:49 PM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

#32 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

Also assisting JB and I doing a lot of the leg work of testing were:
Jeepster (Tom)
Jeff (Jeff)
MrDenny (Denny)
quaa714 (Rich)
Many Thanks guys, it was greatly appreciated.

Thank for recognizing these guys John, I'd meant to do but over 40 hours awake was taking a toll on me...

Indeed, those four sets of eyes were a tremendous help during the upgrade and configuration process, would have been 2x the work without them.

Thank you my friends, for all your help. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#33 BillLamm

BillLamm

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

I started on the header at 19:30 minus 12 is 7:30PM. What you see above is after 2.5 hours. It is very rough and needs quite a bit of tweaking. I should have a greatly improved header tomorrow. As I was doing hard labor in the garden all day, I am also crashing now with an aching back, legs and arms. Even my eyes are starting to burn.
I hope you all enjoy the NEW Forum. I really like it after crawling through it for hours both as admin and user.

I think you guys are doing a great job... a suggestion to try on the header... make the white shadow lines in the revolution on the left the same yellow as the sun on the right... darken the dark blue in revolution just a shade or two... and balance that blue with the blue to the right of the sun??

I tried to do it in gimp to show you, but you probably have a better master you can change easier... (just a thought for you to consider... :D

Edited by BillLamm, 22 December 2009 - 01:52 PM.

Bill Lamm
Posted Image

#34 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Update: Since marking all topics as read, clicking on the date stamp takes me to the last post in a thread, I now need another post in another thread to test if the orange box is now working, can somebody please post a dummy reply in
This thread to generate another orange box so I can test the theory? Thanks.

Forget that, John has just posted below me Problem Solved.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#35 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

One question: is there a setting to enable me to open photos in a new window or tab, rather than the animated window that overlays the forum now? I keep my browser window in a portrait-shaped aspect ratio and it makes closing the photo window a problem.

What you're referring to is "lightbox" versus popup, and it's a global setting... All on or off.

I'd need to see a majority demand for popups instead of lightbox to make that change, what you're experiencing is because of an atypical use of your window.

Not slighting, I understand each persona has their style and manner of use, just identifying a fact.

I much prefer lightbox myself, it's cleaner, allows me to flip forward/back through multiple photos, and even "save" them right there from the lightbox window.

Bear with me guys, I just woke up, have a ripping headache, and will try to knock all these little items down one by one as I'm able.

==

What I would ask is that no one throw a tantrum and leave, we worked hard on this, and will continue to work hard on this for you as a group. ;)

==

FYI, there are some very informative threads on some of these topics on the Kitelife forum...

http://kitelife.com/...8-the-web-site/

You don't have to sign up to read them either. :P

I'm seeing some issues.

Clicking on a topic from the main Rev page crashes the browser. This is usually the only way I go in as the newest topics are right there.

I click "remember me", but it doesn't.

Clicking sign on to get the drop down box doesn't let me type anything in. Clicking in a field causes the box to close again. Need to go in a different way to sign on.

IE7 at work. Haven't tried it at home yet.

Let me know what you find at home Bart?

This won't be ignored, I'm listening... Just keep giving me info as you get it, and I'll try to address.

Has anyone else experienced the issues Bart has described in the above quote?

Now the thumbnails of the recently gallery entries at the top just say I have reached my bandwidth and cannot view them. I had not even clicked on any of them yet to view so the bandwidth message seems to be odd.

Is this still occurring? Anyone else?

Very odd, since no bandwidth limit is set on that level.

Not pointing a finger Bart, just trying to identify or isolate the issue for you. ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Everyone (who hasn't done so already) might benefit from clicking on View New Content, and if there are hundreds of unread items, click "mark all as read" (small link top right corner of the topic listing box) to "clear the baffles"... This will sort out some of the odd forum behavior.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#36 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

I also got the bandwith has been used up notice.. until I logged in, and then the photos showed up ( YEAH I easily logged in ! ty John).

Other then that, I give this a huge thumbs up so far... so ty

#37 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

AHA!

So it's limited for guests.

Working now? (when not logged in)

John Barresi

#38 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

Any chance you can make the emoticons come up on the reply page like in Kitelife please John?

Think it is easier to use them that way.

Aha, stupid me, just answerd my own question by experimenting. :sign_kitelife:

Just click on the smile picture and they do just what I asked. :wacko: :w00t:

#39 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Also, I'd love folks to get into the habit of pressing Posted Image on helpful, useful, informative posts whenever appropriate.

I'm leaving Posted Image available for now, but...

1. It should only be used for derisive, profane or destructive posts.
2. It will be removed in short order if misused.

Any post with more than 5 positive marks should become highlighted somehow, to make it easier to spot.

John Barresi

#40 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Sorry, should have said.

forum looks good, not as much of a shock as Kitelife.

Thanks Guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users