Shockwave assembly doubt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grigorib

grigorib
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

I'm a happy owner of EXP, SLE and I got myself a shockwave not so long time ago. When I assemble it I assume vertical spars go behind the sail and Rev logo is on the left side facing lines/handles/pilot. The doubt is when I put the vertical spars on the lines/handles/pilot side the sail is nicely flat, if I put the spars behind sail the top spar connectors and the rubber connecting them to the sail/spar bend the sail into a wing profile a bit, not flat and it looks as it's not the intended setup. The rubber string attaching connectors to the sail/spar has knots so it doesn't allow the connectors to move onto back side of sail without bending the sail.
Since I bought the kite not new it might be the first owner playing with it or it might be the right setup and my concerns are not valid. I couldn't find a hi-res picture on the net that would sort it out so here I am with question. Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1100446.JPG
  • P1100447.JPG
  • P1100448.JPG

Edited by grigorib, 12 December 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#2 grigorib

grigorib
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

As you can see the second and third pics show the sail not leaning on the vertical spar in this setup either. I'm sure wind will push them together but it would be a weird profile then too.

Edited by grigorib, 12 December 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

That sail does have a wing like shape to it not flat like a regular rev that's what gives them a superior float ability.

I would suggest however on the bottom connectors slide the spar under the bungee before putting the endcap on this will keep it from ripping through the sail.

As far as the knots being on the side of the top connector that's fine they still fly OK.

Have fun with that shockwave it is a finicky kite to fly after this one all the rest will seem easy.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

I agree with Jim on both points. Actually agre with all Three points, anything else wil be easy if you get the hang of the Shockwave.

You are right to think the spars go on the back of the Kite.

This gives it an Aerofoil toype shape.

Another advantage of this is that it often "pops" the LE up better in that face flat situation that normaly means the long walk with non speed series Revs.

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

When the spars are installed correctly, it will put a very pronounced curve in the leading edge skin. As mentioned, slide the bottom of the verticals underneath the bungee. This helps keep them in the kite under hard maneuvering and also keeps the bungee from ripping through the sail.

The curved leading edge gives the kite its flying characteristics as well as allows you to relaunch with the leading edge facing towards you and the sail laying flat on the ground.

#6 Lolly

Lolly

Revolution Kites

• Forum Admin
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you all for responding back to our Shock Wave flyer.
You guys are great.
I agree, and could not have said it better myself.
Lolly
Lolly Hadzicki-Ryno
Revolution Kites

#7 grigorib

grigorib
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I finally know for sure!
I'm curious though, has anyone seen how would the profile look in-flight under wind pressure? Wouldn't the sail be pushed back to the vertical rod making some kind of top-of-a-question_mark curve close to the leading edge. If so wouldn't it slow the kite down creating unnecessary turbulence?

Edited by grigorib, 14 December 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#8 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Not sure about the aerodynamics of the air flow across the sail during flight....but if it slows the kite down then that would probably be a good thing as the Sonic and Shockwave can be blisteringly fast!!! (The Sonic leading edge is identical to the Shockwave).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users