34 replies to this topic

#21 Vince

Vince

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Keep going Andy. We have all been there.
Vince

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hear hear, you'll be airborne again, and it's OH so worth these little learning experiences. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Bad Times,,,no way pal.
Just one part of the experience that we all go through.Some more than others.

We are trying to get over this Sunday Andy.Ile talk with ya soooon.If your Knot,Tied up...... :devil:
BRIAN..

#24 ANDYPHOTO

ANDYPHOTO
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:40 AM

hour n half later.................

lines sorted....

all ready for the next outing pheeeewwww..... that was hard work!!!!!!

ANDY

#25 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

.......this is why if and when i ever get the chance to show someone how to fly these kites i will do it at will..

That's one of the great pleasures in life, giving a hand up to someone else following you up the hill. :)

Keep going Andy. We have all been there.

Hang on in there mate it does get easier, I don't think that big "Eureka" ever comes, but what does come is way better, there are loads of moments when you are stood there in a field or an a beach (for those lucky enough to live near the coast) it's just you and the kite and nothing else matters. It's heaven, trust me it's worth all the frustration you are feeling now. Hang on in there.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention it usually helps if the sun is shining on your back for those snapshots of heaven. :)

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 07 December 2009 - 07:41 AM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#26 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

hour n half later.................

lines sorted....

all ready for the next outing pheeeewwww..... that was hard work!!!!!!

ANDY

Andy,
The ends totally justify the means.
Down the road you will look back and the difficulties you had then, will give pause to a smile as you work thru the new frustrations of the constant and evolving learning process we all go through in grasping new disciplines.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#27 ANDYPHOTO

ANDYPHOTO
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

wind free today :(

so never managed to get out as i intended, but at least the lines are sorted n i'm all rearing to go....

bring on sunday :)

ANDY....

#28 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

wind free today :(

so never managed to get out as i intended, but at least the lines are sorted n i'm all rearing to go....

bring on sunday :)

ANDY....

Hi Andy-
Wanting to get out there even after a bad day will make your next outing that much more enjoyable and fulfilling as things start to go right!!
Keep at it.
In your down time or no wind time, read through the threads here; older ones, too. I still read through them. There's tons of useful info. You will be surprised how it helps when you're out by yourself and run into a problem and get "stuck" as to what to do in that situation. Something will just pop into your brain from what you've read, and you'll be able to easily handle it!
Here's one to remember in case you get into one of those "stuck" moments where you could swear everything is set up correctly and you can't launch at all. If the kite won't budge off the ground (again, you think you've set everything up correctly)
chances are, your top lines are connected to the bottom of the kite (opposite of your handle placement). It's happened to each and every one of us!
Most important to remember is to have fun!!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#29 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Now that is not one I have done, YET!

I have connected the top left to the top right and vice versa. That was interesting for a second or two :-)

#30 ANDYPHOTO

ANDYPHOTO
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

went to ainsdale yesterday though i might bump into bigbri but no joy

had a crackin couple o hours on the beach n saw some real improvement not much crashing n lots more control
came away with a big daft grin,,,,

good times :)

#31 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:28 AM

I noticed the shop was closed on my way home from Crosby.I bet you got your feet wet at Ainsdale.The tides and wind didnt leave much room between 11AM-1.30pm.Hence we moved over to Crosby
.Tides do need checking pal for Ainsdale.I noticed the high tide and wind,so wet decided to visit the Metal Men at Crosby.
Give me a call Andy,
Happy New Year mate

BRIAN...

#32 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

I noticed the shop was closed on my way home from Crosby.I bet you got your feet wet at Ainsdale.The tides and wind didnt leave much room between 11AM-1.30pm.Hence we moved over to Crosby
.Tides do need checking pal for Ainsdale.I noticed the high tide and wind,so wet decided to visit the Metal Men at Crosby.
Give me a call Andy,
Happy New Year mate

BRIAN...

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the reference. I understand that there are '100' sculptures by Anthony Gormley installed at that location.

Is it a good flying site?

Best wishes

Felix

#33 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hi Felix,
Yes,its quite a sight.The metal Men[Anthony Gormeleys another Place]are realy kewl[i think thers 38 of um,unsure though].I flew with Sailor and Marty a year or so ago down ther and have done dozens of times.We are quite lucky,its nearer than Ainsdlae to me from home.The Statues have a real presence,especially early in the morning as the sunrises or late summer evenings when the sun is setting.I beleive[i said this to Sailor]if you wher a Blind man and arrived on the beech.Not knowing the statues wher ther,i betcha ya would know ther was somthing afoot.The Mersey estuary is very impressive,wind farms,huge ships,Snowdonia in the distance,Liverpool skyline,Crosbys quite a nice place.A bit of a best kept secret.

As a flying site,its a goodn.Thers a large free Carpark running along the seafront.The Coastguards station is at the entrance.Then if its Low tide.Flying on the beech is great,but we usually fly on the grass.Which is about two footballpitchs in total size and runs all along the carparking area.Which means your kit and vehicle are always easy to get to and keep an eye on.Thers Toilets[pay toilets].Usually an Ice Creaman,and Burger van.Its a cracking day out. cycling along the coast is realy catered for by Sefton/Merseyside councils,,,,,,,miles and miles of flat easy cycling and offcourse walking.

Downside would be ,its a dog walkers paradise and they all arent over bothered about what they leave behind.

We drew quite A Crowd last year,flying Sedgwicks in a sweet 4mph breeze,seven of us.A fantastic day.We also have had 25 or so pilots ther for OSOW.Which again was a realy great day for all our familys.We took old cloths with us and tried dressing some of the Statues,but ther quite a size when you get up close to um.Ther also a great Rev Obsticle course.Worth a visit when your up North again.I had a few pictures,but lost them to a nasty virus last year,,,,argh.

Let us know if your up and we can give you the tour.

BRIAN...

#34 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hi Felix,
Yes,its quite a sight.

<snip>

Let us know if your up and we can give you the tour.

BRIAN...

Hi Brian,

I believe that they are quite dispersed:-

"The sculpture consists of 100 cast iron figures which face out to sea, spread over a 2 mile (3.2 km) stretch of the beach. Each figure is 189 cm tall (nearly 6 feet 2 inches) and weighs around 650 kg (over 1400 lb)."

I am still thinking about a venue proposal for 2012 for 100 Rev Fliers. It's the sort of situation where connections could be made... <grins>

Felix

#35 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Ah,Yes.Thers more than 38,ive only ever seen 38 of them from the flying site.Depending on Tide,and time.Thers somtimes none.

Worth a watch

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users