Vented SLE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

I have a Standard 1.5 SLE which I have been learning to fly with the EXP LE spar fitted. Haven't yet flown it with the SLE spar.

I'm getting the hang of things and am enjoying this kite immensely. The wind was reasonable the other day but strong enough to tell me that the Standard was being flown beyond it's comfort zone. Enter a Vented 1.5 SLE.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and the kite shop I do business with is in Brisbane, Queensland - on the east coast. He's going to be placing an order next week to stock up his Rev's.

My question is what do I really need to order? It seems that the handles and lines are the same on the Vented and Standard. If that's the case there's a savings there and just a kite only order should be made.

Are the spars the same with the Vented and Standard? From what I can gather a lot of people dispense with the frame, or at least the LE spar in favour of lighter and more flexible options. Does the Vented come as a sail only option with the fittings and bridle?

I can't see me flying the kite when the wind becomes ridiculous. Do I order a kite only with whatever comes with it? As I already have the EXP and SLE spar what other sizes would be of benefit?

The Rasberry and Yellow seems to be the chosen colour scheme. Are there any other photo's of the 2007 colour range available, apart from what's on this site?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

well the best i can tell you is that its best to have all 3(sul std vented) but if the wallet is tight you can always go with the std and vented and get a lighter leading edge for the std kite ...now the std is for a normal wind 5 to 10 mph the sul is for light wind 2 to 8 mph the vented is for the heavy wind 11 to 25 they all have their benifits and are great to have because everyday the winds are diffrent and its good to be ready for it
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

A couple more queries for will just about have me there.

1. With the swapping of the LE lets say from Standard to SUL or to EXP, and likewise for the Vented, does this also apply to swapping the vertical spars - or do they remain the same in all configurations?

2. Does a SUL LE spar fitted to a standard give close to SUL performance? If so for the time being I may as well order a kite only Vented and get a set of SUL spars as well.

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

A couple more queries for will just about have me there.

1. With the swapping of the LE lets say from Standard to SUL or to EXP, and likewise for the Vented, does this also apply to swapping the vertical spars - or do they remain the same in all configurations?

2. Does a SUL LE spar fitted to a standard give close to SUL performance? If so for the time being I may as well order a kite only Vented and get a set of SUL spars as well.

To start, I too have all three now and I am having a great time swapping out LEs and verticals to find the perfect fit for the winds. With all 3 there is no real need to do that but it's still fun. I think my favorite combo is the vented with a lighter LE.

Re 1. You can swap anything you want. I do swap the vertical.
Re 2. Yes CLOSE. I have to say there is nothing like flying when normaly you would have to go home. I enjoy pulling out the SUL on a short set of about 30' lines on a very light wind almost as much as any of my flying.

Not much help but then again you can't go wrong, it's all fun.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users