Old Rev kite

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Outlaw

Outlaw
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

My father was an avid kite flyer. He got me into the hobby a little bit, but i never had the time to get serious.
He had a Revolution, Skyraker, Stacker and a Lite Flite (the only name i'm sure of is the Revolution!).

Anyway, Dad passed away about 2 years ago and i came across his kites.
I'm interested in flying the Revolution (and the others but i know this is a Rev forum :sly: ).
I dont know anything about the Rev other than it looks like it's in good shape and i have the "handles"(sp?). unfortunately there is no line, no manuals...nothing.
These kites are about 10 -15 years old.

Any advice on lines? knots? model #? spare parts availability?
What should l look for in the frame and sail(sp?) to make sure it's safe and flyable?
How can i determine which model it is? I may just sell it, it seems VERY complicated!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kent

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

My father was an avid kite flyer. He got me into the hobby a little bit, but i never had the time to get serious.
He had a Revolution, Skyraker, Stacker and a Lite Flite (the only name i'm sure of is the Revolution!).

Anyway, Dad passed away about 2 years ago and i came across his kites.
I'm interested in flying the Revolution (and the others but i know this is a Rev forum :sly: ).
I dont know anything about the Rev other than it looks like it's in good shape and i have the "handles"(sp?). unfortunately there is no line, no manuals...nothing.
These kites are about 10 -15 years old.

Any advice on lines? knots? model #? spare parts availability?
What should l look for in the frame and sail(sp?) to make sure it's safe and flyable?
How can i determine which model it is? I may just sell it, it seems VERY complicated!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kent

Welcome to the REV Forum!

Please post a picture of your REV here and we will tell you all about it except for where it was bought and the date it was bought.
On this forum you will find detailed information on line, handles and many more REV related items including training.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

As John said, welcome.

Hope you decide to keep the Rev, they are SO much fun.

As well as Johns advice please let us know where you are, you never know one of us might live next door to you. Nothing like face to face advice.

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

Outlaw,
We all started off "slightly worried" about if we could actually make these darn things fly. There's a lot a valuable information, videos and advise available now, compared to how it was in the days your father got involved. I spent two years learning to fly back in 1993, folks pick it up (with good control) in under an hour now! A coach and properly tuned set-up to practice on will speed the learning process exponentially.

Where are you located?, so one of us can speed you along as a mentor.
-paul

#5 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

Let people know your general area.
Someone in your area who is with this group is usually more then happy to meet up and help out.

Ken

#6 Outlaw

Outlaw
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the replys!

I'm in Brick NJ. Yes, the beautiful NJ shore (2 miles from the ocean). We usually have lots or wind, unfortnately the beaches have been hammered by the last nor'easter to pulll through, so i'll probably have to find someplace else to fly like a school or park. (but i havent looked at the closest beaches so maybe i'll get luck)

Someone said post a pic, and i'd love to, but how the heck do I assemble this beast? (links pleaes?) It probabaly looks worse than it really is.
Also since i have the handles, can i buy just the lines already setup? My time is limited and i'd rather spend it flying than assembling. (links again?)

I have the lines for the Skyraker and i'm thinking of giving that a try tomorrow. It's supposed to be windy. I have flown "2 line" kites before, but for some reason Dad would never let me fly the Rev! (go figure!).

Anyway, thanks again!

Kent

#7 chewbaka

chewbaka
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Someone said post a pic, and i'd love to, but how the heck do I assemble this beast?

just "unfold" it, as far as you can, put it on the floor, than take a picture!

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

To set up the kite, I am going to assume it is folded in thirds, then rolled up... If so, here is what you do.

1.Unroll the kite
2.When you unroll the kite, there should be two loose rods rolled up inside. Set these rods to the side for now.
3.Unfold the kite so that the sail is somewhat flat, and the bridal is not twisted around the corners. (The bridal is not terribly complicated, just make it look nice, and you should be fine)
4.The leading edge (the black pouch on the front of the kites) should have three rods in it. The center rod has some thinner cylinders sticking out of the ends. Use these cylinders to connect the three leading edge rods together. (You can do this with the rods in the leading edge, but if you have trouble feel free to pull the rods out, connect them, then slide them back in.)
5. Connect the end caps on the sides of the leading edge.
6. Grab one of the rods that we set off to the side earlier and attach it to the back of the sail. To do this, you will put the end of the rod in one of the end caps that are attached to the leading edge, then put the other end of the rod in the corresponding end cap on the bottom tip of the kite. (Be sure to put the rods on the back of the sail, i.e. the side where the Revolution logo is backwards) Repeat this step for the remaining rod.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

If the furrel is an outty instead of an inny just slide the one into the other. ;) Got a Rev 1 from 95 with the furral on the outside of the center rod. Just in case this maybe the case. :P Sorry

Dean

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

I have a set of "outy" rods too. They look like stainless steel.

Not sure if I asked B4, anyone any idea what stiffness the early Rev 1 "outy" type rods are? They seem pretty stiff to me.

#11 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

My Rev 1 (white center in my pic) came with the std. 4 wraps. My fathers (teal center) has the outties. I think they are 4 wraps. Based on overall flex between the two LE's.
I could be wrong :P
Always wondered why the furreling was different between the two. We bought mine in the shop and ordered the Teal centered sail the same day. Recieved it two weeks later.

Dean

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:48 AM

How long ago was that Dean?

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

If the furrel is an outty instead of an inny just slide the one into the other. ;) Got a Rev 1 from 95 with the furral on the outside of the center rod. Just in case this maybe the case. :P Sorry

Dean

Come to think of it, my Indoor Rev II is like that as well... I didn't even think to mention it. Thanks.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

Stupid me, ignor my ramblings above.

Not to self, read the post above the one above.

I see it was 95, dope!

#15 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

:lol: have either of you noticed a difference in flight characteristics or abilitys of the kites between the inny and outty furreling?

Dean

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:58 AM

:lol: have either of you noticed a difference in flight characteristics or abilitys of the kites between the inny and outty furreling?

Dean

Not that I can tell, but it is difficult to compare because I don't have another indoor rev II with regular ferrules(sp). XD

Spence "Watty" Watson

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

Not noticed a difference in the Rev 1's. Putting the old fashioned rods in my Sedgwick makes no real difference. Just that the rods are stiffer than the 2 wraps it came with.

If they are indeed the same "wrap" as some of the modern rods I suppose the weight of the steel type ferrules might make a difference. Nothing that I will ever be able to notice thought!!

#18 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

you guys should have had the innie-outie convo somewhere else, you probably scared outlaw half way to duallineville. :D :cowboy:
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

About 1992, as confirmed by the designer in a historical document I am writing which is planned to be delivered only with the Historical Revolution, the ferrule changed from outer to inner.
I presume this was primarily due to an expensive stainless steel outer ferrule compared to an inexpensive inner ferrule of carbon fiber.
I also note that a number of newer rods have difficulty or even won't fit in side the older outer ferrule where the older rods work fine with the newer inner ferrule. The inside diameter of the Revolution rods it quite precise, where the outer diameter can vary without effecting performance or reliability.
So that is two points in favor of the inner ferrule.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users