A single rev for every occasion?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fool

Fool
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:30 AM

I am planning on picking up a Vented B-series with an additional 2 wrap frame set because of our Midwest lumpy winds. My thoughts were to sew a strip of Velcro around the perimeter of the vented areas and make panels to cover the vents for lighter winds. Although this probably wouldn't work for flying indoors I'd imagine it could fly down to a respectable 1-2 with the right technique.

Any thoughts?
Could Revolution do something like this for me on a custom sail?
Chris Taylor

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

I am planning on picking up a Vented B-series with an additional 2 wrap frame set because of our Midwest lumpy winds. My thoughts were to sew a strip of Velcro around the perimeter of the vented areas and make panels to cover the vents for lighter winds. Although this probably wouldn't work for flying indoors I'd imagine it could fly down to a respectable 1-2 with the right technique.

Any thoughts?

You could do it, but it does make the REV quite a bit heavier.
The apparently first ever REV built as a vented REV, I built in 1993.
See photo without panel covers at: http://home.arcor.de...0-1990810np.jpg
and with panels covers at: http://home.arcor.de...0-19930810b.jpg

I chose to put velcro all the way around the panels, as it was an experiment to determine what venting positions were best.
I do think you could get away with making it much lighter by just putting tabs of velcro only at the corners and the center side of the panels.
The panels should have the velcro hooks and the sail should have the velcro pads.

You can use a similar method for attaching tails to your REV.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

You could do it, but it does make the REV quite a bit heavier.
The apparently first ever REV built as a vented REV, I built in 1993.
See photo without panel covers at: http://home.arcor.de...0-1990810np.jpg
and with panels covers at: http://home.arcor.de...0-19930810b.jpg

I chose to put velcro all the way around the panels, as it was an experiment to determine what venting positions were best.
I do think you could get away with making it much lighter by just putting tabs of velcro only at the corners and the center side of the panels.
The panels should have the velcro hooks and the sail should have the velcro pads.

You can use a similar method for attaching tails to your REV.

I would also like to add that venting itself will make the REV 1.5 B heavier, so regardless of whether you add on panels for the very light winds, you will have a problem flying in the very light winds.
I would tend to recommend that you get both the vented and non-vented Bees. Then you are well covered for most wind conditions.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

Any thoughts?

I've been thinking of a variable vent Rev for quite some time and whipped up some removable blockers last night.
variable_vent_rev1.jpg

I'm not looking for something to fly from Indoors to gale force winds, but wanted something for those days with light and bumpy winds.

I really prefer the Vented's flight characteristics and thought that by adding removable blockers, I could extend its wind range a bit lower.

Obviously it weighs more than a Standard sail, but with Race Rods or 2 Wraps, it should do OK

This is just my experimental first try at it, so I didn't sew anything onto the kite. I used the stick on Velcro on the sail side and sewed it onto the blockers, so if it's a failure, there is no change to the kite.

If it works well, I'll do a better job of it. This was just a quick 'see if this works' effort.

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Looks good.The idea has been tried and tested on 2 liners for some while.Strange,but i hate 2 line vented kites ,thats the reason i first bought a rev.When the wind got up,Get the rev out.
Whats even stranger is.My fav rev and most peoples i would think, is the vented.

A good point my new friend Dave :group: Ellison mentioned[i think it was Dave]and it made good sense ,was.Dont vent to near either side of the kites edges.This ment the kite wouldnt slide aswell as a kite that had less venting near the edges.I watched a few MEGA venteds and this was the case.
Dave had a 1.5 with three vents in it,which realy increased the range for higher winds.I wonder if Dave was the firstto invent the three vent.Hes been flying a while and is an old Goat now :cat_lol:

Great question AND KITE.Let us know how the kite performs,

BRIAN...

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

I'll probably whip up another pair of covers and use it for those days when I'm only carrying one kite.
Only one kite... did I just say that?!?! :huh:
It might be ideal for travelling, when baggage space is limited.
Travel would be a good idea- it's raining right now, but I'll report back when I have a chance to fly it.
Rainy weather = Pfaff time.

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Traveling with revs and a suitcase is easy.The Rev breaksdown so easy compared with other kites.Its another great plus the rev has.The sail will fold up like a pillow case and the spars will fit nicely in most suitcases.Thats if ya want to and nead to.

A waterproof rev,,,haha.Ther almost that also.

Good luck

BRIAN...

#8 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

I've been thinking of a variable vent Rev for quite some time and whipped up some removable blockers last night.
variable_vent_rev1.jpg

This is just my experimental first try at it, so I didn't sew anything onto the kite. I used the stick on Velcro on the sail side and sewed it onto the blockers, so if it's a failure, there is no change to the kite.

If it works well, I'll do a better job of it. This was just a quick 'see if this works' effort.

One thing to consider is that mesh is heavy. No problem when the wind is up, but not helpful in light winds. Try holes as the venting system instead of mesh as this doesn't weigh anything!

Something else to consider, try using other materials to fill the gaps, some of the dual line sport kites use pieces of dacron to good effect. I seem to remember the Lithiums by L'Atelier were like this. Mark Lummas would know on this point.

Looks great though. I'm keen to find out how it flies.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#9 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

One thing to consider is that mesh is heavy.

^It's one of my Vented Revs that I'm trying the blockers on.
I'm aiming for a variable 'mid Vent' with a bit lower wind range.
Ideally I'd like to do something like the L'Atelier Plasma Project kite, which had Dacron inserts that folded into a pocket on the back of the sail, so you don't have to deal with loose bits of material blowing away when the wind picks up.

Here's a pic of it with the blocker being removed:
variable_vent_rev2.jpg

#10 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

I finally got a chance to try out my Variable Vent experiment. Winds were perfect for the test: light and gusty from about 4-10 knots. I first used 3 Wraps and then 2 Wraps for the leading edge & Race Rods verticals on my 90# x 120' lines. The wind was quite puffy and would've been very difficult to keep the Vented going in the lulls, but as a mid-vent, it flew very well.

Of course a Standard sail with light spars would've flown even better in these winds, but there's something I prefer about the Vent- the way it smooths my inputs and seems more precise.

I'm encouraged with the results and will probably re-do the blockers, so they match the sail better.

variable_vent_revb.jpg rev_variable_vent4.jpg rev_variable_vent3.jpg
/apologies for the photos- it was an overcast day, the kite was 120' away and my camera only has a 3x zoom plus I'm no great shakes at one-handed flying.

#11 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the pickys and info.Great job.Your Glad youve done it now i bet.

Have a great weekend

BRIAN...

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Great, glad your idea worked.

As long as you are happy with it, dont matter what anyone else thinks.

Looks like it flies well and you can do that special bit of wind tuning and keep the mellow-ness of the venting.

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

That looks nice.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:26 PM

The weather was a lot nicer today- sunny and warm. Winds were off the mountains and a variable 15+ knots down to a very light 3-5 towards sunset. I started out with the 3 Wrap leading edge with 4 wrap verticals and later on with the Race Rods verticals.

The gusts were probably edging 20 knots, but I kept the blockers on as I wanted to see if they'd stay on, as I haven't sewn them on yet. It's quite a nice kite as a mid-Vent with a solid but not too heavy pull; 'snappier' response than the full Vent, but without the Standard sail's 'twitchiness'.

The winds faded quite a lot towards sunset and being stubborn, I kept flying the variable Vent, even though a Standard sail with Race Rods would've been easier to fly. I wanted to see what the low end was and I'd say it would go down to around 4 knots with the 3 Wrap LE & Race Rod verticals on 75' lines and SUL handles.

I might just ask for a Custom B-Series mid-Vent, if it's possible. I like it that much.

variable_vent_rev6.jpg variable_vent_rev5.jpg
variable_vent_rev4.jpg variable_vent_rev3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users