Final Recommendations Before I Commit

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

Ok guys...I was deadset on purchasing today from Kite Connection in Huntington Beach, CA. My kite of choice was a B-Series (thanks to all your previous recommendations)...Unfortunately, being the rookie I am, I just assumed they would have everything I needed in stock, but they did not..sold out of all B-Series. I told the guy at the place that I was a newbie, and he basically said he would not sell me a B-series anyway (in a joking manner)...moreso lookin out for my best interest, or so I hope, because he said the 1.5 was pretty much the same, and would save me a hundred bucks or so, and the heartache I would endure from wrecking a kite over 300 bucks while learning.

I apologize in advance if this is a little redundant to my last "help the rookie" post, but I promise this will be the last before my purchase. Here are some last concerns I have that I hope you may help me out with:

1. I'm gettin mixed opinions between the standard 1.5 and the B-Series. They look the same but with different graphics of course. Soooo...what are the main differences to the two? I know that B-Series comes with some extras, but how will that help me and is it enough of a difference for me to spend the extra money? (which I dont mind doing)

2. I've heard the that these kites are durable and that Rev makes a great product, but how will it hold up to the riggers of a newbie who's anxious to learn? Its probably almost a given that I'm gonna crash the thing....would it be wise for me to spend the extra hundred bucks or so if I'm going to potentially ruin the kite learning anyway?

3. Kite connection is offering the B-Series at roughly $330 out the door tax and all with all the accessories and such..line and handles etc....The standard 1.5 they are offerring at around $245 out the door...am I getting a good price?

Thank you all in advance again for your input. I just want to make sure I'm taking a step in the right direction...any information is greatly appreciated!

-Johnny

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ok guys...I was deadset on purchasing today from Kite Connection in Huntington Beach, CA. My kite of choice was a B-Series (thanks to all your previous recommendations)...Unfortunately, being the rookie I am, I just assumed they would have everything I needed in stock, but they did not..sold out of all B-Series. I told the guy at the place that I was a newbie, and he basically said he would not sell me a B-series anyway (in a joking manner)...moreso lookin out for my best interest, or so I hope, because he said the 1.5 was pretty much the same, and would save me a hundred bucks or so, and the heartache I would endure from wrecking a kite over 300 bucks while learning.

The B-Series are a little hard to get from some shops, due to strong demand.

1. I'm gettin mixed opinions between the standard 1.5 and the B-Series. They look the same but with different graphics of course. Soooo...what are the main differences to the two? I know that B-Series comes with some extras, but how will that help me and is it enough of a difference for me to spend the extra money? (which I dont mind doing)

You can't go wrong with either, but the SLE spar is SO stiff, it really cuts down on the precision and control.

2. I've heard the that these kites are durable and that Rev makes a great product, but how will it hold up to the riggers of a newbie who's anxious to learn? Its probably almost a given that I'm gonna crash the thing....would it be wise for me to spend the extra hundred bucks or so if I'm going to potentially ruin the kite learning anyway?

If you're flying on sand or grass, it's pretty unlikely you'll break the 3-wrap (marked "Ultra Light") frame that comes with the B-Series... Plus, you get the ultralight frame, can combine the two for higher winds, and you get all the adjustments in your handles which may help with the learning curve.

For reference, Rev's "intermediate" or entry level kite is the EXP, and it comes with the same 3-wrap frame.

Thank you all in advance again for your input. I just want to make sure I'm taking a step in the right direction...any information is greatly appreciated!

Don't take my word for it, wait for a few other responses. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

Johnny

Join the AKA. The "Kiting" magazine plus the discounts make it a real must.

We started with an EXP because that is what they had at the shop where we bought our first kite. I still fly that six year old kite, although I had to replace the respberry colored sections of the sail. Don't get a sail with raspberry sections. They get soft and ugly while the rest of the kite is still very crisp and nice.

I later bought a 1.5 with mylar. You don't want mylar, Rev stopped putting it in the sails, but there might be some left out there in a store somewhere. I recently replaced the mylar sections in that sail with ripstop.

Looking at the Kite Connection web site, it looks like Rev is putting 3 wrap spars in the 1.5 with the SLE as an option. Three wrap is what you want, especially for learning. Also best for team flying. A full set of two wrap spars will let you fly in lighter wind. If the wind gets a little strong for the three wrap, you can add the two wrap leading edge in with the three wrap, however, if it is that strong, it's usually time for a vented.

It sounds like the "B"series is the deal, but a 1.5 with three wrap spars, good 85' lines and the longer handles (Rev used to include handles that were only about 10" long), I think they are about 13", is a very good flying kite. It will take you from beginner to to expert. That is what most all of the really good flyers have used for many years, and many still do.

Don't worry about crashing your kite. I did lots of crashing when I started. I have never broken a spar, never. As long as you fly over grass or sand you will be OK. After a session of flying and crashing or landing inverted on sand, remove the leading edge spars and blow the sand out of the sail. It is very abrasive, and will damage both the sail and spars if left inside.

Believe me, the first kite you buy will not be the last kite you buy. I flew my EXP, my home sewn rev-based vented quad and my 1.5 with iQuad at WSIKF and Huntington Beach Kite Party. They were flying 1.5s and "B"s. They all fly very much the same and very well. The differences are relatively small,

Go get a "B" series or a 1.5 and get into the air. It will change your life, it sure changed ours!

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

I started with a second hand EXP, I say started, I am still starting!!

OK I crashed it lots B4 I got the hang of it.

I now have 8. I think if I had started with the B's I would only have 2 (maybe)

Best advice whichever you get is find someone to fly with that first day. I have no one here to help me, I am sure I would have been "up and running" on my first day, instead of crawling, walking, running.

I would still say go for the B. The extras are worth it. $330 sounds a good price with a line set included. Most are $300 without the lines. I got mine from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe, was an easy deal even with me being in the UK.

Let us know how you get on.

#5 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:10 AM

once again...thank you for all the great detailed responses. I think I'm going there tomorrow to place my order for a B-Series. I'm in love with the neon green one. I'll keep you all posted on how everything goes.

#6 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:59 AM

On spar strength:
I've been flying for years. There are no other fliers where I live so I learned on my own and I crashed (on grass). I have handed my kites over to hundreds of newbies over the years who have crashed my kites repeatedly. No broken spars. After the first weekend or two, you wont be crashing much anyway.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:14 AM

Black/Lime... Nice looking kite! ;)

Posted Image

Tell us all about your first day out with that bad boy when you get it! B)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Black/Lime... Nice looking kite! ;)

Posted Image

Tell us all about your first day out with that bad boy when you get it! B)

Yes!

Very nice! :)

As a side note....just so you know.....I don't include the line set with the 'package'. That's because different weight and length for different folks. I custom make all the line sets on request. The most popular request is for Laser Pro Gold 90# x 120'.

And yes....if you spend the $35 for an AKA membership, you'll get 10% off your purchase......so it's pretty much a 'wash'.

Theresa

#9 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

I apologize in advance if this is a little redundant to my last "help the rookie" post, but I promise this will be the last before my purchase. Here are some last concerns I have that I hope you may help me out with:

3. Kite connection is offering the B-Series at roughly $330 out the door tax and all with all the accessories and such..line and handles etc....The standard 1.5 they are offerring at around $245 out the door...am I getting a good price?

-Johnny

Ok, I would like to recommend Midwestkites.com. With your AKA discount, you can have a B for the price of a 1.5. Now with all the money you just saved, get another rev, I'd recommend a rev II, but only because I like mine soooooo much, and am already bugging my wife for the 1.5 vented.

#10 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

once again...thank you for all the great detailed responses. I think I'm going there tomorrow to place my order for a B-Series. I'm in love with the neon green one. I'll keep you all posted on how everything goes.

I got my green one last night in the mail, looks prettier than the picture.

#11 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Ok, I would like to recommend Midwestkites.com. With your AKA discount, you can have a B for the price of a 1.5. Now with all the money you just saved, get another rev, I'd recommend a rev II, but only because I like mine soooooo much, and am already bugging my wife for the 1.5 vented.

I would second Midwestkites.com once you start dealing with them it is hard to stop. Tell Lyn and Rich MrDenny says hi. Don't let the worry of breaking your new Rev enter into you dicision. I still have my first 2002 and it is just plain worn out from lots of use and abuse but still good for spars and leading edges to trade around with the other revs.
You are wasting wind my friend.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

Have a look at the "new" Rev B colour B4 you decide on the green.

Purple looks good too.

ALL of them look good.

#13 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

I would second Midwestkites.com once you start dealing with them it is hard to stop. Tell Lyn and Rich MrDenny says hi. Don't let the worry of breaking your new Rev enter into you dicision. I still have my first 2002 and it is just plain worn out from lots of use and abuse but still good for spars and leading edges to trade around with the other revs.
You are wasting wind my friend.

I will third the suggestion of Midwestkites.com I recently got some little things from them and will be going to them when I stash away the money for a real kite (Rev B series vented). Lyn was very helpful to me.

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

kitezen great to hear you got the b ... you are lucky im trying my best to get one i probly wont have it by wildwood but i will have it to add to my bag best of luck with it my man
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#15 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Have a look at the "new" Rev B colour B4 you decide on the green.

Purple looks good too.

ALL of them look good.

:blink: :blink: :blink: ....I thought the one I was looking at (the one in this post) was the 2007 and the latest color?? John, are you holding out on me??? haha... :(

#16 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

They JUST added purple to the line up... So recently that there might not even be any out of the factory yet. ;)

John Barresi

#17 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

<<<<< NOOB!!!....I saw the picture of it on the home page of the site :rolleyes: ...now I'm torn between the black/lime, yellow, and purple....guess I'll just have to buy all three. B)

#18 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:45 AM

well i do like the purple but im still thinking on going with the blue
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#19 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:40 AM

Blue for me, looks good, looks wonderfull when it catches the light just right.

Lets face it ANY of the B colours are GREAT.

Do like that purple though!!

#20 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users