6 replies to this topic

#1 clare

clare

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

Ive got two things currently that Ive been trying to do and failing completely with, so was wondering if anyone could give me some tips as Im at a complete loss as to what Im doing wrong despite hurting my little brain trying to work it out! and would be very grateful if anyone can help me crack it.

1) If I fly towards the floor while the kite is inverted, then do a 90 degree turn to make the leading edge face to right - how come I then cant make the kite fly right? It just loses height rapidly and hits the floor, sometimes with a little bit of a spin on its way down. Noticed that I couldnt do it while messing about and have since tried over and over with no joy.

Still trying to master that gorgeous propeller thingy, can manage to make the right shape sort of but again losing height so it isnt on the spot and ends up in a crash most of the time?

Thank you very much for any tips, especially any that stop me hitting the brick wall I have been over it. there is obviously loads and loads more that I cant do but cracking these two things would be good for now!

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

Ive got two things currently that Ive been trying to do and failing completely with, so was wondering if anyone could give me some tips as Im at a complete loss as to what Im doing wrong despite hurting my little brain trying to work it out! and would be very grateful if anyone can help me crack it.

1) If I fly towards the floor while the kite is inverted, then do a 90 degree turn to make the leading edge face to right - how come I then cant make the kite fly right? It just loses height rapidly and hits the floor, sometimes with a little bit of a spin on its way down. Noticed that I couldnt do it while messing about and have since tried over and over with no joy.

Still trying to master that gorgeous propeller thingy, can manage to make the right shape sort of but again losing height so it isnt on the spot and ends up in a crash most of the time?

Thank you very much for any tips, especially any that stop me hitting the brick wall I have been over it. there is obviously loads and loads more that I cant do but cracking these two things would be good for now!

Try flying at the ground(not the floor unless you are inside) "slowly" and stopping just above the ground by applying the brakes. Tilting the handles forward puts on the brakes while flying forward in any direction. Too much brake will cause the REV to fly backwards or flip.
Once you got this then do it "slowly" put on only one side brake while holding or slacking off on the brake of the other side.
The main thing is to try doing everything slowly.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

<snip>

That should be adopted as the Rev motto! Especially in high winds...

Felix

#4 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Remember, which ever part of the kite is upward, that part must be pulled toward you, into the wind, so that the wind is spilled downward, or gravity will take over, and the kite will drop toward the ground.

This rule never changes. It is true of any kite, moving or still.

When you head for the ground inverted and turn to the right, placing the left side of the kite upwards, you must then pull back on the left handle to move that end of the kite into the wind relative to the right side of the kite which is now downward.

Hope this helps.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

Try flying at the ground(not the floor unless you are inside) "slowly" and stopping just above the ground by applying the brakes. Tilting the handles forward puts on the brakes while flying forward in any direction. Too much brake will cause the REV to fly backwards or flip.
Once you got this then do it "slowly" put on only one side brake while holding or slacking off on the brake of the other side.

Yes, take everything slowly and one step at a time. The first maneuver can be broken up into three parts. 1)slowly fly straight down, and stop when you have maybe 10 feet between the kite and the ground 2) slowly use a little more break on your left hand to make it rotate and turn left, You may even want to hover for a bit in this position while facing right. 3) fly forwards.

For the second one, I'm guessing that you are referring to a bicycle spin (rotation around the center of the kite)? If so, there's some useful advice in both of these videos.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 clare

clare

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

Remember, which ever part of the kite is upward, that part must be pulled toward you, into the wind, so that the wind is spilled downward, or gravity will take over, and the kite will drop toward the ground.

This rule never changes. It is true of any kite, moving or still.

When you head for the ground inverted and turn to the right, placing the left side of the kite upwards, you must then pull back on the left handle to move that end of the kite into the wind relative to the right side of the kite which is now downward.

Hope this helps.

That makes sense. Ill keep an eye on what Im doing with my left hand. Im also hitting the ground while trying to propeller while the kite is in this position so its prob the same problem - Thank you very much.

#7 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

That makes sense. Ill keep an eye on what Im doing with my left hand. Im also hitting the ground while trying to propeller while the kite is in this position so its prob the same problem - Thank you very much.

When doing a propeller spin, known as the "bicycle", the same thing applies. What's up must be pulled forward, or your propeller will work it's way to the ground.

Like Watty says in his video on the Bicycle Spin, the trick is to concentrate on that wing of the kite that is flying backwards, and pull it up from the bottom of the spin.

Lynn had a hard time learning the bicycle. Now she finds it very easy. Like most moves, once you get it you will find it very easy to do. You won't even have to think about it.

Edited by Jim Foster, 22 November 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users