Trimming EXP LE to fit an SLE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crawf

Crawf
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hi Guys it's been a while since i've posted and since then i've picked up a 1.5 SLE.

I have an older EXP on which the sail has stretched so i'm using the frame (a thinner lighter LE that goes inside the end cap) as a donor kite for the 1.5 the problem is that the LE in the EXP is an inch or 2 longer than the 1.5

I've flown the 1.5 a few times with the EXP Leading edge in and it's great for lighter winds but i'm concerned that the extra few inches might cause unwanted/ premature stretching of the sail or bungies.

Can i get some feedback on whether it's worth clipping them back to match the length of the 1.5 (and the best method for doing this) or whether it'll be fine as is.

Thanks heaps

Crawf

#2 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Leave them alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The SLE rods are shorter because they don't bend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The EXP rods you have are standard rev-rod size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just fly and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#3 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

Melanie is right on. Don't cut the EXP rods. You will love your 1.5 with the EXP three wrap rods. You should find that the length of the vertical rods that came with your 1.5 SLE are the same as the EXP rods.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

The SLE was designed to handle both SLE or normal 1/4" rods which are different lengths without any changes.
If you look at your end caps, you will notice that there is a rubber grommet. Note the point where the SLE rod mates to it. Now take an EXP rod and insert it inside the end cap. You will notice that it moves about 3/8 to 1/2 inch further. This times two comes up to about an inch. That is why the SLE rod are that little bit shorter then the standard 1/4"o.d. rods which are the same as the SLE rods in length.

In other words don't worry about it. Everything is ok.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 Crawf

Crawf
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thanks folks. I appreciate the time taken to respond

I'll leave them alone and enjoy the light wind flying

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users