#1 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:15 AM

Just reading the minfield that is buying a Camcorder

Anyone any Models they would stamp ther approval on.
Tip,hints,must haves.

Thanks in advance
BRIAN... ;)

#2 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:02 AM

Hi Bri,

I was in the same situation a few months back, started wading through that same minefield.

Ended going for the Kodak Zi8 does full HD 1080p@30fps & 720p@60fps very comfortably....ended up costing something like £110 after getting it with an 8GB Extreme III SDHC Card. Got it from Kodak in the US.

Just as an example of the quality (nothing to do with kites) click on HD too.

(macros 720p)
(macros 1080p)

Hope this helps you a little

Chris

Edited by kristalis, 17 November 2009 - 05:26 AM.

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

Now thats the sorta thing im after

Thanks for the info and vid links.Its much appreciated

Kodak i hadnt looked at at all.

I shall do some google prices and stuff

Cheers for that,yr a gent

BRIAN...

#4 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

Panasonic's an excellent choice for brand; they've been at or very near the top in all the consumer reliability surveys for many years (camcorders and digital cameras, specifically). They also use excellent Leica lenses in everything.

If you're thinking of a camcorder for recording HD video, and don't already have a good point-and-shoot camera, may I suggest something like the Panasonic DMC-ZR1? It's extremely responsive, has a third-gen optical image stabilizer that's way better than most of what's out there now, has a new Leica lens design that's got some awesome nanotech-fu in it, and shoots 720p video at 30fps. Not going to be as high quality as a dedicated camcorder, but it's a LOT more portable, and you get a camera as well. :)

I've got a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 atm as my point-and-shoot and video camera (wife has a Canon T1i, which also shoots 720p/1080p, but she won't even let me get near it). The TZ3 only shoots 480p video, but it takes amazingly good pictures with its awesome Leica lens, and has proven itself to be very durable (have taken it on canoeing trips and splashed a bit too much water on it a few times, dropped it a couple times, etc; still going strong).

TL;DR version: get a Panasonic. They're good and reliable.
kairusan

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Panasonic's an excellent choice for brand; they've been at or very near the top in all the consumer reliability surveys for many years (camcorders and digital cameras, specifically). They also use excellent Leica lenses in everything.

If you're thinking of a camcorder for recording HD video, and don't already have a good point-and-shoot camera, may I suggest something like the Panasonic DMC-ZR1? It's extremely responsive, has a third-gen optical image stabilizer that's way better than most of what's out there now, has a new Leica lens design that's got some awesome nanotech-fu in it, and shoots 720p video at 30fps. Not going to be as high quality as a dedicated camcorder, but it's a LOT more portable, and you get a camera as well. :)

I've got a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 atm as my point-and-shoot and video camera (wife has a Canon T1i, which also shoots 720p/1080p, but she won't even let me get near it). The TZ3 only shoots 480p video, but it takes amazingly good pictures with its awesome Leica lens, and has proven itself to be very durable (have taken it on canoeing trips and splashed a bit too much water on it a few times, dropped it a couple times, etc; still going strong).

TL;DR version: get a Panasonic. They're good and reliable.

I agree.Your preaching to the converted my freind
I have a couple of Panasonics.Point and shoots.Had the DMC-FX37 for a few years now[almost]Awsome results.With a wide 25mm leica lens.We love it.I also have a large Panasonic all the bells and whistles TV,so its easy peasy.
My DSLR is the new Sony A500,Very nice results so far with that.Its a dedicated DSLR though,No vid .
Used my Dads Sont Handy cam.Disc version.Its about two/three years old.Model im unsure of,but it did what it said on the tin.

The Kodak has realy got me searching and scratching my head also.Pritty kewl piece of kit for not a lot of money
I think though.I may opt for this one
Panasonic HDC-TM10
http://www.panasonic...2351/index.html

Thanks for your input :)
BRIAN...

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Good find Bri, got my attention... Need something good for tutorial videos, etc, over the coming year.

Amazing, I paid nearly $1200 for 1/4 of the camera that is, over three years ago.

Now, you can shoot a fly's ass while at a dead run for under $500. :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

Panasonic make some very nice cameras, but one thing to consider is what you actually want to do with the output, editing large avchd files is not easy without good software and a high spec computer, I am just about at the limit of my computer when editing 720p hd video, in some cases the high spec cameras are moving forward faster than the kit to support them.

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

Good find Bri, got my attention... Need something good for tutorial videos, etc, over the coming year.

Amazing, I paid nearly $1200 for 1/4 of the camera that is, over three years ago.

Now, you can shoot a fly's ass while at a dead run for under $500. :D

This camcorder stuff does move quickly dun it.I paid £900 for one Ten years ago.All the bells and whistles for that time.Looks like a TV reporters set up.
Anyways JB,
Be aware.The model i mentioned[HDC-TM10] doesnt have the amazing Leica Lens,,, :censored:
The model that does is around £150 more for the same spec almost.This more exspensive model,also has a 10mega pixel stills camera[so what].Question is.Are they needed.
Im off playing with a couple later Today.Ile probably end up with The, sul,std,mid and vent...... :kid_devlish:

The guy in the shop says.The lens quality is almost unoticable when viewed back,if at all....Mmm

BRIAN...

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:13 AM

Panasonic make some very nice cameras, but one thing to consider is what you actually want to do with the output, editing large avchd files is not easy without good software and a high spec computer, I am just about at the limit of my computer when editing 720p hd video, in some cases the high spec cameras are moving forward faster than the kit to support them.

I hear ya Bruce,

Definate consideration on the support kit.Ive looked into it and my Vaio seems well suited with a 1080 full Hd and HDMI stuff.The reviews ive been reading seem to say.The Panasonic software and tech stuff are easy to use.Editing is simple[ish],but can be slow to make /burn to disc.

C U Tomorrow old Man

BRIAN... :)

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:53 AM

As a sub topic heading here I recently toyed with the idea of a POV camera that I can attach to a head band so I'd be able to shoot personal vids while flying. These can also be mounted on a kite and I suppose a KAP rig as well. They're small and lightweight too.
I don't know much about them and have just started looking around.
They run as inexpensively as $200
I'm not looking to create a masterpiece with this, rather I just want to get the cool, wow factor of having shot some vid of me flying solo/team, etc.
Does anyone have any wisdom or knowledge of these type vid cams.

Edited by quaa714, 19 November 2009 - 01:55 AM.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#11 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

As a sub topic heading here I recently toyed with the idea of a POV camera that I can attach to a head band so I'd be able to shoot personal vids while flying. These can also be mounted on a kite and I suppose a KAP rig as well. They're small and lightweight too.
I don't know much about them and have just started looking around.
They run as inexpensively as $200
I'm not looking to create a masterpiece with this, rather I just want to get the cool, wow factor of having shot some vid of me flying solo/team, etc.
Does anyone have any wisdom or knowledge of these type vid cams.

You can have some good fun with that, new camera's are appearing on the market at a fast rate these days 720p and 1080p is now available in tiny lightweight cameras.

Three little cheapish ones compared here:

Even better if they are waterproof, put one on your 1.5 and you can play in the puddles. :lol:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

Watch out though, there aint much wind in heavy spray.

#12 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

I've recently bought the Panasonic HDC-SD10 which is the same as the TM10 but without the built in storage. It's a lovely little piece of kit and incredibly easy to use. just open the monitor and you're off - no waiting for tapes to pre-roll or discs to spin up. Very good image stabilisation too - great for Kite vids.

As mentioned, the problem with HD video is editing it - my reasonably high spec'd quad core still struggles and that's going to have to be the next upgrade. It's also forced me to upgrade my editing s/w so I'm not on the slow learning curve for the new stuff, struggling to find the time....

Ant

#13 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

I've recently bought the Panasonic HDC-SD10 which is the same as the TM10 but without the built in storage. It's a lovely little piece of kit and incredibly easy to use. just open the monitor and you're off - no waiting for tapes to pre-roll or discs to spin up. Very good image stabilisation too - great for Kite vids.

As mentioned, the problem with HD video is editing it - my reasonably high spec'd quad core still struggles and that's going to have to be the next upgrade. It's also forced me to upgrade my editing s/w so I'm not on the slow learning curve for the new stuff, struggling to find the time....

Ant

LOL,Great minds Ant.How are ya mate.Long time no see and all that.Hope yr well and flying and smiling
Ive just left comet and tried the HDC-SD10,
Ther are some reaaly great deals atm.Dixons and Amazon will do the SD10 for £312.Pixmania will do for £299

Comet£349.
Thers a coulor choice on it also,Black and silver or Red and silver.......Decissions,decission

Ile borrow mi dads Handy cam again,its cheeper.I cant make my mind up
BRIAN... :)

#14 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

One of the considerations is the viewing screen. I bought a SONY DCR SX40 this summer. It is difficult to use for shooting kite video because in most outdoor conditions the sunlight overwhelms the screen. It was nice on the old clunkers that had an optical view finder that you could look through.

Other than that it is a fine camera.

Also go for wide angle capability. On occasions when I want to work from a tripod and am on 120 foot plus lines you have to get way back. So a very wide wide angle would be nice. I am not sure what mine is but it is something I would check if I were buying another.

I have flash memory and internal memory. I use the flash for video and the internal for photos.

Another good feature is I can slip in my pants pocket. Nice to just have it with you.

My search right now is for editing software. I am using Window Movie Maker which has been fine but want to get fancy now. Split screen, editing picture quality, cropping and so on.

Kiting and video just go together

#15 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

One of the considerations is the viewing screen. I bought a SONY DCR SX40 this summer. It is difficult to use for shooting kite video because in most outdoor conditions the sunlight overwhelms the screen. It was nice on the old clunkers that had an optical view finder that you could look through.

Does anyone still make a camcorder with an optical viewfinder?
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#16 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'd like HD, palm-sized (like the Panasonics mentioned above), built-in hard drive (storage) and a file format that's easy to work with in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere.

Leica lense would be a plus.

Any suggestions, based on this?

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#17 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

I'd like HD, palm-sized (like the Panasonics mentioned above), built-in hard drive (storage) and a file format that's easy to work with in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere.

Leica lense would be a plus.

Any suggestions, based on this?

Panasonic DMC-ZR1. See my detailed post above. You absolutely don't need a built-in HDD; just get a Class 6 SDHC card for the camera. Those come in up to 32GB, although 16GB is where the price-performance point is currently at its optimum. That's plenty of 720p recording time!
kairusan

#18 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

My search right now is for editing software. I am using Window Movie Maker which has been fine but want to get fancy now. Split screen, editing picture quality, cropping and so on.

Have a look at Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus - I settled on this after an extensive round of trialling as a good performance vs price compromise. The Plus version does AVCHD out of the box. There's a 30 day trial version too.

http://www.magix.com...movie-edit-pro/

Ant

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

I'm in need of a directional microphone as well, should have mentioned that. :)

Kind of fancying this one...

http://www.amazon.co...i...QA&v=glance

Not being a videophile, any major minuses I'm missing with this Canon?

John Barresi

#20 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:16 AM

Well,thers so much out ther.

I do like this.Thers a couple of reviews along with it.I have an earlier model.The wide lens is awsome[25mm].Had some great results.The Leica lens is a major bonus.Also the video mode is HD and Zoomable.Which is the major diffrence to the one i have.

http://www.trustedre...umix-DMC-TZ7/p1

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users