46 replies to this topic

#21 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

or virtually any time of day or night, now I think about it.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#22 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

Thanks Gary, yes I believe I was the first to do this.

A few points to note though.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I don't know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.
2. The modification effectively extends the handles, very slightly. This is not a problem at the bottom of the handles but I found it made quite a significant difference at the top, as it affected my grip. So I reversed the mod an refitted the mettle clips to the tops.

Hi Bob,

I was reading about your handle modifications, using the drywall anchors and the screws, which would enable one to rid themselves of those annoying metal rings, on the ends of the handles. A while back, Watty Watson sent me a video, that he obviously put together, to help me understand his explanation of this procedure. I thought it worked like a charm. Now, I see, where you have now, gone back and reversed that modification, on the upper ends of your handles, and reattached the metal clips. I believe you said this was due to the additional handle length, which is created, by this particular modification.

Now, I've got a stupid question. If this additional length is a problem, why not just cut off the top end of the handle tubing, maybe .25" to .50", or whatever seems to be right, and put you modification back as it was. I mean, that is such a clean and trouble free modification, and those clips (hog rings) are really a pain. My thoughts would be to cut the tubing, immediately below the holes, where the metal clips were mounted, and then reinsert your anchor and screws, as you had previously done. This should put you back, very close to the original handle length (+/- 1/8"). Surely you've got several sets of handles, just lying around, that you could experiment with. I hope I haven't misunderstood your point, but I think I'm hearing what you were saying correctly. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Also, as for me, I suppose that I'm not quite as tuned in on the Rev, as you may be, and obviously, I haven't been flying long enough, for that small amount of additional length, to be a bother. Maybe one day, I'll get to that point, but for now, I'm just very happy, with your idea. Thanks for sharing it !

Now for my additional two cents - For those of you, who don't want to go to this extreme, of cutting the tubing, and would just like to use the anchor and screw idea, I have modified several sets, with very little trouble, however, if you have access, a few tools, other than a screw driver, it will make this job much easier and neater. WARNING - Do be careful, when removing the rubber covers, from the ends of the handles, because most of the handles that I have seen, have a very sharp and nasty burr, around the holes, where the metal clips were attached. You can see where the holes were drilled in the tube, so beware. Once I carefully removed the metal clips, and the rubber end caps, I took the handles over to the grinding wheel, where I smoothed down the burrs around the clip holes, and then polished the ends of the tube with a rotating brass bristled, wire brush. You could probably accomplish the same effect, with a little elbow work, a flat file, and some emery cloth. Just be careful. In fact, the file is probably all that is really necessary, if you will be careful, and try not to scar the exposed part of your handles, while filing the burr. A padded vice, would be quite helpful, for holding the handle steady, while you file it smooth. You just need to remove that sharp metal burr around the small holes. I also found it necessary to ream out the ends, of most of the tubing, as there was some kind of hard residue, just inside the end. I don't know what that was, but it definitely needed to be removed. Either way, it just makes for an easier job, once the grinding, polishing, and reaming is done. Then it was just a matter of forcing the plastic anchors (with shoulders), down into the ends of the tubing, and inserting a #10 stainless steel screw, leaving just a small gap under the head of the screws, for the pigtails to be looped around. This can be seen clearly, in Watty's video, which can be found here http://www.vimeo.com/7746634 Also, I'll try to post a couple of pics, of one of my latest modified handles.(see below)

IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2870.JPG IMG_2872.JPG

Edited by Reef Runner, 15 December 2009 - 03:15 PM.

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

Nick, from North Carolina, USA
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#23 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

Did these EASY modifications to two of my sets!

GREAT!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#24 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

What are all those knots in the bits of string about RR? (sorry my stupid idea of a joke, just popped into my mind when I looked at your pictures)

They look good and neat. Might have a go at messing about with some of my handles.
Thanks for the pictures.

#25 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Did these EASY modifications to two of my sets!

GREAT!

Hey Jynx, Did you cut the length of the tubes down, or just do the anchor and screw inserts?

Edited by Reef Runner, 15 December 2009 - 12:25 PM.

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#26 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

What are all those knots in the bits of string about RR? (sorry my stupid idea of a joke, just popped into my mind when I looked at your pictures)

They look good and neat. Might have a go at messing about with some of my handles.
Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks, I think ? :wacko: or not ? :blink: All cudos should go to "Stone in Shoe Bob" and "Watty"..........I just follow instructions well !!

Edited by Reef Runner, 15 December 2009 - 12:31 PM.

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#27 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

I actually have a couple of sets of no snag handles so dont realy need to mess.

However I am a Bloke, and why do I exist if not to mess with things.

So messing with handles might well be fun.

I do thank you for your caution about snaga n stuff.

#28 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

I actually have a couple of sets of no snag handles so dont realy need to mess.

However I am a Bloke, and why do I exist if not to mess with things.

So messing with handles might well be fun.

I do thank you for your caution about snaga n stuff.

Yea, I started to get a set of those new Pro "no snag" Handles, but I thought they were mighty proud of them, so I came to the forum, and found all sorts of help. Again, I believe that the original idea came from "Stone in Shoe Bob", and then "Watty" made a video. What more could you ask for. Like you say, messing with stuff is fun, and I'm a tinkerer from way back........... B)

Edited by Reef Runner, 16 December 2009 - 05:24 AM.

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#29 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hey Jynx, Did you cut the length of the tubes down, or just do the anchor and screw inserts?

Just anchors and screws and used black electrical tape around the tubing to hide the empty hole in the end cap.
I also used a drill bit to clean out the tubing and finished it off with a fine file before reassembling.

Easy as pie!
Actually easier than baking a pie!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#30 Chook

Chook
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:40 AM

Yeh thanks Watty. I did the mod a few weeks back from the vid you made, many thanks.
I cut the tops down to just below the holes as previously stated to end up the same length above the foam after mods. Just debured the bottoms before inserting plug and they work a treat.
Have a safe festive season everyone.
Cheers from down under.
Esperance "The Bay of Isles"
Western Australia

#31 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

I see, where you have now, gone back and reversed that modification, on the upper ends of your handles, and reattached the metal clips. I believe you said this was due to the additional handle length, which is created, by this particular modification.

Correct, well sort of, it wasn’t so much a mater of length more a matter of proportion.

A quarter of an inch either way is neither here nor there on the bottom of the handles, providing you have a matched pair of course. But once you start messing with the tops of the handles you start interfering with the grip. On the stock handles here is normally about an inch or so of tube protruding above the foam grips, the modification effectively increases that by around 25%. I found that the extra bit made the handles uncomfortable and I believed it was upsetting my control.

I did consider taking a pipe cutter to the tops of the handles but as it had only ever been the bottom clips that had given me any snagging problems, I thought it would probably be more trouble than it was worth. If you think about it your thumb is wider than the hog clips.

All this is now academic as I own a very nice set of custom made purple anodised aluminium handles with a thick chunky grip set up just how I like ‘em, thanks Baz. :)
Stone in Shoe Bob

#32 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

All this is now academic as I own a very nice set of custom made purple anodized aluminum handles with a thick chunky grip set up just how I like 'em, thanks Baz. :)

Hey Bob,
Did you make the purple custom handles? Got any photos to share? I'm very interested in what to use for the padded part of the handles, and how to adhere it to the stainless or aluminum rods. I love to make stuff, just love to tinker with stuff...............I'd love to hear more about these custom handles...........

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#33 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hey Bob,
Did you make the purple custom handles? Got any photos to share? I'm very interested in what to use for the padded part of the handles, and how to adhere it to the stainless or aluminum rods. I love to make stuff, just love to tinker with stuff...............I'd love to hear more about these custom handles...........

No they were made for me by a friend, Baz, he has already posted on the forum somewhere.

I have made some extra long, light wind handles, I used aluminium tube and Hyperlon fishing rod grip, again there is a thread somewhere on how it's done. I will look for it but it's a while back and it will take a while, watch this space.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#34 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Found this link.

http://fracturedaxel...p;hilit=handles

Edit to correct link.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 16 December 2009 - 12:51 PM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

#35 dazlarsen

dazlarsen

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:08 AM

Found this link.

http://fracturedaxel...p;hilit=handles

Edit to correct link.

I also own a set of the no snag handles from Baz,but wanted a longer set 17inch.Instead of using 10mm tube I used 12mm as I have found it very hard to get the foam grips with a 10mm bore.The idea of filling the tubes with chinchilla sand and bending with no creases is brilliant.I used an old car size fire extinguisher to bend my tubes around and it worked a treat.I used foam from www.guidesnblanks.com Duplon 12 "Parallel Grip with 12mm bore for a tight fit around £6 with postage.To fit the foams I used 2mm double sided tape on the handles then smeared with washing up liquid so the foams will slide easily.The total price came to around £15 for all the materials used
All the best

Daz

#36 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

Hi Reef Runner
this is the link to the handles I made
Ultra no snag handles

Edited by BAZ, 17 December 2009 - 08:26 AM.

Maker of the ULTRA NO SNAG HANDLES

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#37 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hi Reef Runner
Ultra no snag handles

Thanks Baz,
Man, there is all kinds of help on this forum - Oh, BTW, are those handles made from anodized tubing, or are they solid? B)

Edited by Reef Runner, 17 December 2009 - 09:50 AM.

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#38 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Baz,
Man, there is all kinds of help on this forum - Oh, BTW, are those handles made from anodized tubing, or are they solid? B)

they are solid aircraft grade aluminium which has then been professionally anodised

Maker of the ULTRA NO SNAG HANDLES

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#39 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

they are solid aircraft grade aluminium which has then been professionally anodised

All I can say is sweet ! Man they look good.

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"

Kitelife Subscriber #590

#40 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi Reef Runner
Ultra no snag handles

Hi Bob-
Yup, purple things are a good thing, any time! B)

The purple super no snag handles are SWEET, too!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users