46 replies to this topic

#1 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

This seems odd to ask but since rev handles are so simple, has anyone made their own handles??
Can't be that difficult. I am going to try it, maybe using cork instead for foam. Also want to try trying the pigtails directly to the rods w/o hogring.

Any thoughts??

kimbo

#2 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

This seems odd to ask but since rev handles are so simple, has anyone made their own handles??
Can't be that difficult. I am going to try it, maybe using cork instead for foam. Also want to try trying the pigtails directly to the rods w/o hogring.

Any thoughts??

kimbo

These started out as homemade, now are offered by Revolution as a upgrade handle: LINKY scroll to bottom of page

You can make your own, but I would not suggest using cork, probably would not hold up too long. Really depends on the type and grade of cork used.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#3 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

These started out as homemade, now are offered by Revolution as a upgrade handle: LINKY scroll to bottom of page

You can make your own, but I would not suggest using cork, probably would not hold up too long. Really depends on the type and grade of cork used.

Also, you can get Walt's wonderful Pro No Snag Revolution Quad handles at The Kite Shoppe :)

http://www.thekitesh...aps/cat_37.html

#4 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

Theresa is right, Walt has done the tough work already, save your time for flying.
:ninja:

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:47 PM

Any thoughts??

kimbo

I've never made my own, but I have modded all of my normal handles to get rid of the triangle clip thing. All you do is take off the end cap, push a dry-wall anchor into the tube, then put a screw into the anchor. You can then tie the pigtails to the screw, and tighten the screw most the way, and put the end cap over the top of it all. it looks real slick, and got rid of the squeak coming from my flame handles :D

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

I've never made my own, but I have modded all of my normal handles to get rid of the triangle clip thing. All you do is take off the end cap, push a dry-wall anchor into the tube, then put a screw into the anchor. You can then tie the pigtails to the screw, and tighten the screw most the way, and put the end cap over the top of it all. it looks real slick, and got rid of the squeak coming from my flame handles :D

Getting the components together for my idea on handles. Tubing and I bolts. Cost 6 bucs. Looking for some foam grip/handle material somewhere.
Watty's handles are sweet. May end up going that route.

#7 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

Looking for some foam grip/handle material somewhere.

Check out fishing pole grips

#8 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

Check out fishing pole grips

Thanks for the link. I'm ready for the foam now. I used to build fishing rods.
I was thinking also about using grip tape over foam from Golf club grips. Lots of choices there.
Smooth winds

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Someone sent me a pm for clarification on this mod, so I made a small clip explaining it for any one who is interested.

http://www.vimeo.com/7746634

BTW, I'm not taking credit for this mod. John Mason showed this to me, and I think he got the idea from someone else... so yea... not my idea.

Edited by Watty, 21 November 2009 - 03:47 PM.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Someone sent me a pm for clarification on this mod, so I made a small clip explaining it for any one who is interested.

BTW, I'm not taking credit for this mod. John Mason showed this to me, and I think he got the idea from someone else... so yea... not my idea.

As always Watty, simple and straight forward.

What size anchors and screws did you use?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#11 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

As always Watty, simple and straight forward.

What size anchors and screws did you use?

Uhm, I donno the number or anything, but I just took a dis-assembled handle into the hardware store with me and tried different ones until I found one that fit right.

But one problem I came across was that the inside of the tubing at the end was not sanded down or anything, there was a bit of metal hanging into the tube that I had to scrape out in order for the anchors to fit correctly.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#12 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Just finished my first set of handles. They turned out OK. I used two part putty epoxy to keep the eye bolts in place.The stuff like clay. It seems to be holding, but a flight will surely tell. I would use gel epoxy if I do another set. Easier to get down the tubing.
They are real light since I used 3/8" tubing over the solid rod material.
I used some old foam pipe insulation but will replace it with eva foam tubing when I get some.
The pigtails are what I am not too sure about. I made the knots 1" apart for both brakes and gas lines. I opted for 3 knots on both lines, but kept the tag end long for a 4th.

Any input on my set-up??
Just need some wind now to give em a go.

Kimbo

#13 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Watty ~ Simple and a perfect solution!
Thanks for the video... couldn't be any clearer!
Even a blonde like me can modify these with absolutely no problem at all!

Thanks again!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Just finished my first set of handles. They turned out OK. I used two part putty epoxy to keep the eye bolts in place.The stuff like clay. It seems to be holding, but a flight will surely tell. I would use gel epoxy if I do another set. Easier to get down the tubing.
They are real light since I used 3/8" tubing over the solid rod material.
I used some old foam pipe insulation but will replace it with eva foam tubing when I get some.
The pigtails are what I am not too sure about. I made the knots 1" apart for both brakes and gas lines. I opted for 3 knots on both lines, but kept the tag end long for a 4th.

Any input on my set-up??
Just need some wind now to give em a go.

Kimbo

Any pictures?

Spence "Watty" Watson

#15 kimbo

kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

Atfter seeing the pic of the ultralite no snags Baz made, I wouldn't dare show mine.
Crude, and "not worthy" of posting.
Those are some "sweet" handles Baz.

#16 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I believe it was Stone in shoe Bob ?
GARY

Posted Image

#17 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

I believe it was Stone in shoe Bob ?

Thanks Gary, yes I believe I was the first to do this.

A few points to note though.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I donít know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.
2. The modification effectively extends the handles, very slightly. This is not a problem at the bottom of the handles but I found it made quite a significant difference at the top, as it affected my grip. So I reversed the mod an refitted the mettle clips to the tops.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#18 Wayne

Wayne

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

I made the "Stone in Shoe Bob" plastic anchor mod to my 2 sets (bottom ends only) last week. I found #8-10 x 1.25" anchors and "10 x 1.5" pan head screws with ~1/2" of smooth shaft below the head. These came from my local Lowes home store. The only challenge was cleaning up the burrs left at the end of the tube and at the holes made for the rings. The results look good and I am anxious to get some flying time soon on them. Yipee, no snags for around $3.00 investment.

Thanks Bob for coming up with this solution, Kairusan for the description and photos in this thread
http://www.revkites....?showtopic=2888, and Watty for the reminder and video of this approach.

Thanks Gary, yes I believe I was the first to do this.

A few points to note though.

1. I always make a point of recommending plastic wall plugs with a slight shoulder and screws that are not threaded all the way to the head, to reduce the risk of wear to the pigtails. I don't know how significant a risk it is but I saw it as a potential problem and avoided it.
2. The modification effectively extends the handles, very slightly. This is not a problem at the bottom of the handles but I found it made quite a significant difference at the top, as it affected my grip. So I reversed the mod an refitted the mettle clips to the tops.

Wayne Reed
Rev Backtracker, 1.5 SLE, Custom Full, Mid-vent & Vented B Series, Shook Weave Kites
http://WReedImages.com
My Rev Gallery

#19 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:57 AM

I use these myself
http://www.revkites....=...ost&p=56756
GARY

Posted Image

#20 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Yep! very pleased with my purple.

There's something very satisfying about holding something purple in the morning.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users