• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

Background:
ok so I recently bought my 5 year old a kite at walmart - and remembered after many years how much fun it is to fly a kite. I then followed through by picking up a cheap (really really cheap) dual string sport kite to try out and see what I could do with it. I got Hooked, I started researching sport kites and all sorts of fun stuff. While looking to buy a real sport kite I stumbled across Revolution and decided why stop with dual lines, lets go quad.

So here I sit waist deep in great looking vids, a bunch of tutorials and a really knowledgable group of people. I saw recently someone else in southern california was looking for assistance with his first quad. But rather than hijack his thread I thought I would look for similar advice with different circumstances in my own thread.

I do wish I stumbled in here a few months earlier so as to make it to Kite Party as San Diego is only a few hours from my home in Palm Springs.

Actual Questions:
So having been looking at the various Revolution Quads, I think what I need to go with is the B-Series Vented, or maybe just the Standard B-Series

Those that are not familiar with Palm Springs, today we have had 40mph gusts - and wind has blown steadily throughout the day near 20 mph. There is a mountain pass that acts as a funnel so I may be able to vary the wind conditions to some degree based on where I am in relation to the pass.

Now I read somewhere to involve your spouse or loose them forever, and I dont particularly want to do that. My wife probably weighs 125lbs soaking wet, If I were to get her a quad as well how much pull is there on the B-Series, vented or otherwise. I really dont want to have to tie her to the car to make sure she isnt carried away ;)

And one final question, Anyone know of people that actually fly out here? I looked for a club but havent found any yet. I am not 100% sure where to fly around here other than one park that gets really crowded with families on the weekend, and I know better than to endanger them. There is plenty of desert out here that I can pull up to though if nowhere else exists.

Thanks for all the help,
Chad Whippie

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

While looking to buy a real sport kite I stumbled across Revolution and decided why stop with dual lines, lets go quad.

Hello, and good choice Chad! ;)

So having been looking at the various Revolution Quads, I think what I need to go with is the B-Series Vented, or maybe just the Standard B-Series

Those that are not familiar with Palm Springs, today we have had 40mph gusts - and wind has blown steadily throughout the day near 20 mph. There is a mountain pass that acts as a funnel so I may be able to vary the wind conditions to some degree based on where I am in relation to the pass.

If you're dealing with 20-40mph winds, you'll definitely want a VENTED Rev, no doubt about it.

I'm partial to the B-Series (for obvious reasons), but you'll benefit from the adjustable handles and 1/4" I.D. frame it comes with... It's more configurable, without being too much to understand.

Now I read somewhere to involve your spouse or loose them forever, and I dont particularly want to do that. My wife probably weighs 125lbs soaking wet, If I were to get her a quad as well how much pull is there on the B-Series, vented or otherwise. I really dont want to have to tie her to the car to make sure she isnt carried away ;)

The pull on vented Rev 1.5's (SLE, B-Series, etc) are all comparable... What you can do to lessen the pull in extreme winds is to shorten the brake lines quite a bit by way of the adjustable handles. The kite pulls most when it's in a full forward flight position.

And one final question, Anyone know of people that actually fly out here? I looked for a club but havent found any yet. I am not 100% sure where to fly around here other than one park that gets really crowded with families on the weekend, and I know better than to endanger them. There is plenty of desert out here that I can pull up to though if nowhere else exists.

I'm not up to speed on clubs and shops in SoCal, but here's the AKA page for your region... It lists shops and clubs in SoCal, as well as surrounding areas.

http://www.aka.kite....r.cgi?region=12

Keep the questions coming, we're pleased to help.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

while it is always good to have all 3 kites (sul std vented)with the winds that your talking the vented is the best choise but those winds are not going to be full blast everyday .. you will have days where the winds are light or still.. do keep in mind that revs are great kites for all winds and even though its pricy to get all 3 youll thank yourself in the end ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

It's funny how that happens isn't it? I went from a "kit delta" to a parafoil to a big delta double box to a rev. Then another rev (B series) and then a vented B series...

Same kind of memories triggered it...

I bow to the experts on the board but would agree that if you consistently have winds that are the speed you say they are the vented would be a good choice.

If they slow down at all then a non vented rev would be good also!

Maybe even one of each!

It was blowing pretty good here yesterday so I got a half hour of flight time with my vented B series and that was nice. Today it's calm and I didn't fly at all. RevFlyer is convinced that he will get me to have kites for all wind speeds (including zero!). He's probably right but I am not quite ready to admit it yet...

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:42 AM

Heck Alden, you're going to be a builder of kites as well. Trust me if I can do it, so also can you!

Unless you're willing to move out of the DC area, you will eventually have more SULs and indoor kites than anything else! I curse the wind and giggle gleefully when it's absent, particularly at a competition. "Ahhh, my local conditions".

Chad,
my son lives in florida and he's only about a 109 pounds, he can traction kite behind a vented 1.5 or sit comfortably on the beach and entertain himself & the bystanders. You and the misses won't have any danger in those big winds if you are properly equipped. Learning together will be great fun for you guys too!

Enjoy and keep us informed.

#6 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

RevFlyer, I dont worry at all about myself being lifted off the ground - Would need a much bigger kite for that ;)

Even low wind days I can go to the pass and get 8-10 mph winds on most days - though I think having an SLE or a SUL for the local soccer field when noone is there might be nice in the future.

Something I thought I read but may have dreamed up, does the Vented also help in gusty conditions? help as in remain more stable.

Any Line recommmendations? I read that someone had been using 90# in most wind conditions, including a particularly windy day at the beach. I will probably aim for flying 120' lines since I have lots of open space in the desert here, though I may start with something shorter so that when I plummet from the sky I dont so have far to go.

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:05 AM

Yes, the vented is a BIG help in gusty conditions. ;)

As for lines, I use my 120' 90# about 75% of the time... 50# now and then in really light winds, then 150# on the rare occasion it's ballistic (40mph+).

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

<_< Hi there, don't worry too much about the big winds. We have a little lady (3 actually) in our team and they deal with the strong wind nearly as well as the men. The trick is to fly smoothly. In addition if the wind gets really strong, you can always put a few extra holes in your kite.

Don't bother counting the holes, it's around 1600!

Seriously though, with a little practice and the right kit, even lighter people will be able to fly in strong winds. <_<

Attached Thumbnails

• Tea_bag_rev.JPG

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

Now THAT is what I call VENTED wOw.

Looks good too.

#10 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

Chad this is Ben and in my opinion I think the vented B-series is the way to go for you, when I was up in Yucca Valley for there event thats what I spent my day on and even when the winds got lighter I stayed with that kite. As for fliers look out for Howars G. (and Howard if you read this please contact this guy) he's a good flier and all round good guy......Ben B)

#11 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

I don't think you'll have to worry about that! I'm 14 years old and weigh 112 pounds. I'm an avid rev flier and have only been picked up by my duel line twice! :D

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 Howard

Howard
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:43 AM

Chad I live in Palm Springs and would be happy to let you try any of my "too many" Rev's. Although we have had heavy winds the last couple of days I find usually we have pretty light winds. It also depends where you fly. I like Demouth Park on the south end of town. If there is no wind then go north to Victoria Park.

The Rev 11 is always a good choice for heavy winds especially the vented one. for me winds over 20 really are no fun to fly in,but that's me I'm not into being dragged around.

I am retired so if you would like to meet send me an email at hg (at) mmgccpa (dot) com and we can play
Howard

#13 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

First I would like to thank Howard again for taking me out this weekend.

We had an almost empty park with light winds starting off. Howard brought out his lime green B-Series and taught me probably the most important thing to having a good start, Line Management. I could definetly see myself out there with lines all over the place if I had just started solo. After 20 minutes and 3 or 4 (somewhat)vertical ascents and (mostly not vertical)descents later the wind had picked up and had gotten a bit gusty, typical for palm springs. Out came the Vented 1.5 SLE. With the vented and a slight modification to the handles (adding more brake) I was getting the hand of keeping a nice hover, turning and actual vertical movement. I was even able to successfully steer away from my daughter when she decided to run up to where we were flying.

While last week I was eager to fly a Rev, after sunday afternoon I am truely 100% hooked. Especially after watching Howard put the kite through its paces just before we packed up for the afternoon.

Thank you again Howard for a great afternoon on Sunday.

Chad

#14 Howard

Howard
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

I was fun Chad, and you picked it up quickly in some pretty crappy winds, Let me know when you want to go again and I'll bring my toys
Howard

#15 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

So Several months later....

My new vented B-Series should be in my clutches in the next few days (hopefully by the weekend). I got a nice red one that Theressa at the Kite Shoppe had available, I really like the gold but that will have to wait for my second rev(we all know it will happen)

Thanks Watty for unknowingly clueing me into the Kite Shoppe's sale it allowed me to get the kite sooner then I had thought, I was still able to get my wife the dress she wanted so she wouldn't notice the kite ;)

Theressa was very nice and pleasant to work with, I hope the move goes smoothly.

Chad

#16 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

YAY! ;)

John Barresi

#17 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

<_< Hi there, don't worry too much about the big winds. We have a little lady (3 actually) in our team and they deal with the strong wind nearly as well as the men. The trick is to fly smoothly. In addition if the wind gets really strong, you can always put a few extra holes in your kite.

Don't bother counting the holes, it's around 1600!

Seriously though, with a little practice and the right kit, even lighter people will be able to fly in strong winds. <_<

Why do I love that kite so much?

Attached Thumbnails

• Tea_bag_rev.JPG

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#18 Howard

Howard
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Why do I love that kite so much?

Dear Revolution Forum Members,

My dad is Howard, who was a member of your forum. He passed away on July 10th. He was flying until the end, and we made sure he had his favorite Rev with him at the end.

Renee Van Hoy
rvanhoy@hotmail.com

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

All my best to Howard, and to his family... He was a passionate pilot, and didn't get to play with us nearly long enough.

Best winds, wherever you're flying.

John Barresi

#20 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Dear Revolution Forum Members,

My dad is Howard, who was a member of your forum. He passed away on July 10th. He was flying until the end, and we made sure he had his favorite Rev with him at the end.

Renee Van Hoy
rvanhoy@hotmail.com

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences, Renee.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users