4 replies to this topic

#1 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just wanted to say that I had some unusually epic Rev sessions over the past few days, and I'm very happy!

Yesterday, the Bay Area was having a huge windstorm, and I got out to Shoreline Park right as the winds were at their peak—averaging 25mph with 35+mph gusts. Had a wonderful time with a 1.5 vented, doubled leading edges, and 120' 150lb lines. The kite felt really, really solid and did high speed passes straight through the center of the window on the gusts sooooo smoothly, without a hint of squirreliness or frame shudder. And what lovely, intense pull!

Today, we had nice clear air in the late afternoon and very very smooth winds, that diminished to sub-5mph as the sun began to set. Had my standard 1.5 up with Race Rods on 120' 90lb. Wonderfully peaceful, zen-like, floaty session with just perfectly butter-smooth, gentle wind, and a gorgeous sunset. :)

Through both of these extremes, my Revs felt perfect, completely in control at all times. But there was still endless challenge to be had—from keeping good speed control and hovers in the high-high gusts to avoiding wing-flip while doing slow reverse circles in the super-light wind, allowing the droop of the 120' lines to keep the proper tension on the sail because even the slightest hand pressure would overwhelm and stall the wing.

These kites are amazing, supremely durable, endlessly fun and super challenging. Provided you sort of know what you're doing and have the basic set of equipment, you can fly them in literally any conditions that are safe to be outdoors in, and be totally rewarded. Not sure what else to say; this was a pointless post just to gush about how much I love these kites. :wub:
kairusan

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Ahhhhh yes, Gotta love the newly doomed it's like discovering Rev's all over again via proxy :)

Just wait it gets much worse evolution takes over and remounts your jaw to a permanent grin, If you don't believe me look at Rich (quaa714) from New Jersey he's living proof B)

Enjoy it resistance is futile ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Rock on Kai, glad you're enjoying them so much. :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

You know, Mr. Barresi, the things I learnt from that thar kite clinic thing really, really helped. No. 1 was Keep The Handles Below Thy Waist, No. 2 was all the stuff about Visualization, and No. 3 was what you also describe in this thread: http://www.revkites....=...ost&p=57764. Really good stuff; totally helped me fly better. Keep it up, good sir. :ninja:
kairusan

#5 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

Oh, don't worry Kai... I'm sure he will !!! (the evil genius !!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users