Please Help...Rev Rookie

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hello all, I'm new to the kite world and am eager to learn and master the exciting experience. Some quick background...

The only kite experience I have is with the parafoil Wind Dance 3. I've flown the the 4, 6, and 8 foot models (yellow, neon pink, and neon green). I thought I was a decent flyer until I discovered, the Rev..WOW!! I live in So Cal and last summer came across a gentleman flying a "custom" Rev he called it, in Huntington Beach, CA. His skills were amazing, and his dive-stop got me beyond intrigued. His kite looked like a 1.5 based on the pics I'm seeing here on this site, a beautiful black and yellow combination, and he offered me a chance to test his $900 birthday present....I was instantly hooked. I have a feeling that the owner of the kite was stryker2, but I could be wrong...either way, thanks to that person, because I am now a fan and have found this great community.

Soooo....my question to everyone is....which Rev should I start with??? I've read a few posts and the 1.5 SLE seems to be the favored...but why? Any input on the differences between this and others, and the benefits of this model as opposed to other entry level Revs would me greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

-Johnny

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

the 1.5 is a great kite to start with with its very forgivable and precice as well as it beibg a good kite for when you get better with it you can do all kinds of cool tricks and pricision flying with it
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Johnny

Yes, start with a 1.5 SLE. I would suggest also a set of 3 wrap (EXP) leading edge spars. They make the 1.5 less (snappy) and more forgiving.

Then you will want to add a 1.5 vented when you find the wind too strong for the full sail.

Next a full set of two wrap spars. These can be used in either kite for lighter wind flying. In higher wind, we like the three wrap AND the two wrap leading edge spars in the vented 1.5 rather than the SLE 7/16 spar. This makes the kite stiff enough to fly in high wind, but more flexable and smoother than the 7/16 edge.

A vented 1.5 with two wrap spars in medium wind is a joy to fly. Smooooooooooth. ;)

Jim
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Jonathan, what kind of winds you generally get?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

great information, a little over my head, but i'll take it!!! haha....i'm sure i'll know what all this stuff means once i get into it...thanks again all! anything else i should know??

#6 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

Jonathan, what kind of winds you generally get?

Umm...i'd probably be at either Huntington Beach, Salt Creek Beach, of La Jolla when i fly...if i had to take a guess...i'd say a moderate wind speed of 10mph maybe? i honestly dont know. :blink:

#7 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Umm...i'd probably be at either Huntington Beach, Salt Creek Beach, of La Jolla when i fly...if i had to take a guess...i'd say a moderate wind speed of 10mph maybe? i honestly dont know. :blink:

#8 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

Hiya Jonathan,
at H.B. you get all the kinds of wind. From smooth, light winds to high speed gusty winds. As summer comes around they'll be more towards the light wind variety.

It would really be best to have two kites to handle the wind range, but if I were to start with one kite it would be a 1.5 with a set of 2 wrap spars and 3 wrap spars. This will handle most of the wind range. But how to get that kite? Oh wait, Revolution has released a new kite package that is just perfect for you!

Here's a simple recipe for kite bliss:
1. Go down to Huntington Beach. Dave Shenkman runs a kite shop right on the pier.
2. Ask Dave for a Standard B-Series Revolution. Make sure to get Laser Pro Gold kite lines with it.
3. Tell him, Mike Kory sent you and he should give you a good deal ;) He should at least throw in an "Advanced Way to Fly" video.
4. Contact Jim Foster (click on his name in the above post and send him a message). Ask to meet Jim at his favorite Costa Mesa park or on the beach. He's a great guy and can give you a quick lesson on how to set up your kite, wind up the lines and the basics of flying.

5: Attend the Kite Party in H.B next February. I'll fly in for that and we can fly together. Flying revs with someone else is a blast.

Don't you like the way I volunteer everyone out there in California?
I'd be happy to help you out as well, but it would be a long drive for you. I'm in Illinois :rolleyes:

6. Post back here to let us know how you're doing and any questions you have. We're one big happy family :lol:
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

Awesome recommendations Mike!

Agreed, those components will lend to an awesome time flying, good company, and a good deal.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

I'll be more than happy to help a Rev flyer. The more, the merrier.

Lynn and I fly at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa several times a week, both during the week and on weekends. We'll get Hector and make it a foursome.

Jim

#11 jmanwaring

jmanwaring
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Lynn and I fly at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa several times a week, both during the week and on weekends. We'll get Hector and make it a foursome.

Jim

Jim - I live in San Clemente and work in Irvine. If it is okay with you, I will look up "Fairview Park" in Costa Mesa and swing by one evening or weekend. It would be fun to see you fly - and if there is room, I would love to fly with you guys.

Jex

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

I smell another quad team brewing.

FYI, Mike Kory is currently working on a big list of iQuad maneuvers (diagrams) which will be available on the Rev and iQuad sites very soon. ;)

John Barresi

#13 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

Here's a simple recipe for kite bliss:

1. Go down to Huntington Beach. Dave Shenkman runs a kite shop right on the pier.

5: Attend the Kite Party in H.B next February. I'll fly in for that and we can fly together. Flying revs with someone else is a blast.

That's AWESOME!!! That's the exact place I was planning to purchase my kite! I was checking online and everyone was selling it for the retail price of $199.99 and the place on the pier is offering it for only $169!! I was actually planning to head out there tomorrow after I get out of class.

Mike, don't think I will forget your offer to fly...I'm gonna practice and hold you to it! By then, I can only hope to have gathered enough skill to fly with you all.

I'm definitely going to purchase one tomorrow with all the recommendations you guys have provided. My last question is this...I'm already a fan of the Barresi signature series...being a rookie and all...should I go and spend the extra hundred bucks or so? I'm concerened with the durability of the kite, how is the learning curve on it if I have experience flying dual line kites? I personally don't mind spending the extra money because I like the design a lot, just concerned with how much I'm gonna crash the thing while trying to learn and if it would be worth it to me or not. Thanks again for all the input! gosh...I wish it was tomorrow already! I was supposed to be studying for a midterm, but here I am posting, reading techniques, and watching videos!!! I cant wait!!

#14 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

Jim

Really?? I think I know what park you're talking about. I used to go to OCC last year, it's pretty close to there right? If you're free tomorrow, I plan to purchase my kite tomorrow around 3:30 when I get back from class in Pomona. I'm gonna head straight out to the pier, extend my budget a bit just for the recommendations Mike gave me and grab my kite, and if you're free I'd love to meet you out there for a session. If not there is this big empty soccer field at Mile Sqaure Park next to my house, I'll be out there teaching myself. :rolleyes: ...PM me and maybe we can exchange info...I'll be checking the forums periodically tomorrow during my classes ;)

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:43 AM

Hi Jonathan, I am not a good flier and have a group of Revs including a Rev B and a Rev B v. I find I am flying nothing else but them right now, I often crash (quite hard) and have broken nothing yet on the B's.

The B series are pretty much as strong as any of the Revs, all of which seem to take a good pounding. I think the only thing you have to worry about is making sure you have the right spars in to match the wind.

If you buy both the B series you get 2 wrap, 3 wrap and 4 wrap so should be set up for almost nothing to 40+ mph.

Vented B with 2 leading edges is what you need for winds you almost can't stand up in. :mellow: :unsure: :o :) :D :lol:

#16 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

some guy offered you a $900 custom yellow & black REV to fly and it was a birthday present also? That must have been me, but I live outside of Washington DC and haven't been to Huntington Beach for half a year or more. I do business with a printing company in Montebello occasionally, (but stay near the ocean)

My wife acquired that kite for me as a fiftieth birthday present at one of the AKA National Conventions. I took it back to the hotel that night, then switched-out the frame and bridle before even flying it. Actually Scott Weider and John Barresi both flew it before my first try!!! Wait until you see the really good guys fly, . . .... O.M.G. they are so impressive, I want to throw my stuff into the ocean Jonathan.

The 1.5 is the best kite to learn on and a light weight frame will make the lessons go easier, since you don't need a perfect day to practice. All the revolution products are a "lifetime of pleasure" though. Over time you will develop your own style and exposing others to the joys you have will be just as important as getting better yourself. There's always something new to be explored or someone better than you to learn from. Almost everyone is willing to stick the handles into your hands or show you how it's done.

Welcome to our little forum group and I'm glad you have been hooked as a quadhead. Remember "sharing" is how the bulk of us got involved also! Someday you'll be the guy reading about the impact you had on a spectator at the other end of the country and be laughing out loud just like me.

paul
maryland, usa
wowkiteclub.com

#17 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Jim

If you all will be out there this Sunday I may throw the family in the van and make the drive out so that my wife can see what it is I am getting her into ;)

#18 Jonathan Nguyen

Jonathan Nguyen
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

some guy offered you a $900 custom yellow & black REV to fly and it was a birthday present also? That must have been me, but I live outside of Washington DC and haven't been to Huntington Beach for half a year or more. I do business with a printing company in Montebello occasionally, (but stay near the ocean)

My wife acquired that kite for me as a fiftieth birthday present at one of the AKA National Conventions. I took it back to the hotel that night, then switched-out the frame and bridle before even flying it. Actually Scott Weider and John Barresi both flew it before my first try!!! Wait until you see the really good guys fly, . . .... O.M.G. they are so impressive, I want to throw my stuff into the ocean Jonathan.

The 1.5 is the best kite to learn on and a light weight frame will make the lessons go easier, since you don't need a perfect day to practice. All the revolution products are a "lifetime of pleasure" though. Over time you will develop your own style and exposing others to the joys you have will be just as important as getting better yourself. There's always something new to be explored or someone better than you to learn from. Almost everyone is willing to stick the handles into your hands or show you how it's done.

Welcome to our little forum group and I'm glad you have been hooked as a quadhead. Remember "sharing" is how the bulk of us got involved also! Someday you'll be the guy reading about the impact you had on a spectator at the other end of the country and be laughing out loud just like me.

paul
maryland, usa
wowkiteclub.com

PAUL! I'm pretty sure it was you!! It was last summe in 06...It had to have been. You must recall because when you let me fly it, I was so excited I got ahead of myself and nearly took a chicks head off!! haha...wow...what a small world! well, sort of...the DIVE STOP....probably the easiest and most popular trick in the book once you get the hang of it, but MAN! what an eye catcher!!! I hope your laughing out loud now Paul, because that did it for me...I'm gettin one today after class! I'd love the opportunity to fly with you next time you're out here. (and BTW...I still can't beleive you let me fly a $900 custom...I cringed when I crashed it and was afraid to even try again... :unsure: )

#19 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Post Preview
John

You have a good nose.

Perhaps not a team as we all understand a team, but just to pass on what you have tought us so that others can join in the fun. Flying together is way too much fun.

To others who would like to join in......... Lynn and I plan to fly at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa Today, Thursday, from about 3 until 6. The same on Friday, Saturday and Sunday after lunch. This is all wind dependent. If you see our Red Silverado and our Red, White and Blue Revs, we're there. We usually fly on 100' lines, up to four flyers. More than four, we like 120' lines. If you don't have 100s, bring what you have. Let's fly.

See ya there, Jim

#20 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

Jonathan,
Revs are pretty tough kites and I own a whole bunch of 'em. You'll baby the first few acquired, the rest you'll "spank like a redheaded stepchild behind the woodshed!"

That particular kite is made by a famous builder, but he's not a quadhead. It is so overbuilt/overengineered you could fly it under water. If I was concerned about damage I would not have offered it to you. I teach little kids on it too 'cause it is truly unbreakable.

I would NOT consider using it in a competition though, the standard factory kite available for a couple of hundred bucks has better overall performance. That custom kite is about grabbing folks attention, even when the whole sky is filled.

I look forward to you giving me a lesson next time we bump heads,... I ain't that good myself buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users