6 replies to this topic

#1 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I just bought a Power Blast- new, with lines and handles, never been flown, but missing the long verticals. The obvious answer is to buy new long verticals at $12 each plus shipping (my LKS doesn't have the right ones). However, I severely bent my budget getting this kite (and it was a great deal from a very great friend), so anything I can do for cheap or free to get me flying is the top of my list. And I'm a cheap S.O.B. :) And impatient to get this beast up in the air! :wacko:

I have a friend that has a bundle of old Rev rods that were especially created to frame up his North Shore Radicals back in the day (as far as I know, they're the same diameter, I.D. and O.D., as a standard Rev rod). He didn't think he had any that were the required 38.25" long, and suggested we make a 2-piece rod. My questions aren't about strength- it's the most commonly broken spar on this particular Rev (I'm told), so stronger is better. But will stiffer be an issue? Would it negatively affect the flight characteristics? I think these rods are 4-wrap as well- some of them might be 3-wrap. I *might* be able to get some 3-wrap rods real cheap to try this with. This would be the same concept as the travel frame for the 1.5.

I'm looking for any advice/suggestions/experience from Revolution and/or the brain trust that inhabits these forums, and that I have the utmost respect for.

Thanks mucho! :lol:

Edited by dagnabbit, 27 October 2009 - 10:35 AM.

dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Send it back, If it's new its not complete and useless if you're not willing to get original replacement rods

I'll tell you right now you go messing around with other replacements or 2 piece on a power blast you'll end up with a full loss cause you will get a broken rod through the sail at the very least.

Some things just need O.E.M. this is one of them.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

it couldn't be that great of deal if it didn't come complete and ready to fly. Your great friend may have saved you money but the darn thing should have been assembled and verified flight worthy before delivery, geeze!

#4 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Whoa- wait a second- I bought this knowing full well it didn't have the long verticals. I should have been clear about that. And it was that good of a deal- I order replacement spars and and the total expenditure would still be below dealer cost. I just wanted to explore other possibilities- in my mind, if a travel frame for a 1.5 split into that many sections is OK, then is there a possibility that a 2 piece vertical spar might work on a Super Blast? Sure, I understand the potential structural stress levels on a Super Blast is greater than what you'd see on one of my B-series, possibly in the order of magnitudes depending on the wind.

And say, if I actually did have a couple of 38.25" 4-wrap Rev rods- what's the effect of have a 4-wrap rod in there vs a 3-wrap? Any experience in that? Ben?
dagnabbit!

team Quadzilla

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

Whoa- wait a second- I bought this knowing full well it didn't have the long verticals. I should have been clear about that. And it was that good of a deal- I order replacement spars and and the total expenditure would still be below dealer cost. I just wanted to explore other possibilities- in my mind, if a travel frame for a 1.5 split into that many sections is OK, then is there a possibility that a 2 piece vertical spar might work on a Super Blast? Sure, I understand the potential structural stress levels on a Super Blast is greater than what you'd see on one of my B-series, possibly in the order of magnitudes depending on the wind.

And say, if I actually did have a couple of 38.25" 4-wrap Rev rods- what's the effect of have a 4-wrap rod in there vs a 3-wrap? Any experience in that? Ben?

The OEM replacement rods are 12.00 each. With shipping that should be under $35.00 for everything including shipping! If you put in a different rod that breaks the first time you put the kite in the air you could potentially destroy the entire sail - which would ruin any possible "good deal" that you stumbled onto. Just think how much it would cost to repair a torn sail??? or the possibility that the rod breaking actually stress other parts of the kite and snaps a leading edge or other rods?? Or when the rod breaks, the kite slams into the ground, destroying more parts? I don't think it is worth messing around with for just $35.00.

The sectional travel frame for the 1.5's work excellent because there really isn't any pressure on those kites - until you get into winds over 20 mph. The 2-4 can pull you around the park in winds as low as 7-10 mph.

The Super Blast (pre-PowerBlast 2-4 model) can pull like a tank in even the lightest of winds - not even comparable to a Rev 1 or 1.5 at all. It's your money, but I think you are tripping over dollar bills to try and pick up a couple pennies.

Just my opinion anyways. Let us know how it works out for you.

#6 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

by the tme you find a replacement for them, or by ferruls cut rods, glue, hope the dont trash your sail... bite the bullet, 35 bucks. thats a small price to pay. if you order now you,ll be flying on the weekend. B)
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#7 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

OK, ok- I'll order the spars....
dagnabbit!

team Quadzilla