20 replies to this topic

#1 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

After the,,, Own Thy Hover,,, Tip last week.I thought we could ease the nerves even more of any budding team flyers that wana try flying in larger numbers

What about one that was mentioned by Hezz i think.Dont Panic.Easier said than done i hear some say.Little pain for a Massive gain i would say.

A few ideas on the subject

DONT PANIC,,,Relax and enjoy.Its like flying on your own,but with some freinds showing you the directions.Youve got brakes,its daylight and we all drive on the
same side here.
LISTEN,,,,To the caller.Its like having a sat nav telling you and everyone the same way.
CONCENTRATE,,,on your own kite.Dont worry about the other kites.They will look after themselves.
FIRST TIME,,,nerves is a good thing.Natural Human instinct stuff.Thing is.The Caller and experienced guys have been ther also.They will ease the nerves.

Ive watched the look of terror and horror come on a few faces now.Marty Juggles is certainly the one that we at Ainsdale all remember and talk about.We actually Associate the look with Marty now.Sorta ,named it after him.Not the Terror/ Horror look though,Nope.Thats history.Over in a blink that look.
A far better look Has tobe ,,,,THE BIG DAFT GRIN,,,,,when after a few minutes of simple stuff in team flying.A glow Spreads across your chops and pins the corners of your mouth.Right back under your ears

A PRICELESS MOMENT and one ive never forgotten.

Anyone else have a few words of comfort,tip or two

BRIAN...Tip Of The Week :)

#2 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

Breathe!
Relax your arms!

Not that I have mastered this yet but it's been said to me and I have passed it on to others and it seems to help.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#3 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

Aaaah That was a GOOD day Bri . . . almost a year ago now and i still get that stupid grin whenever i fly with others :P
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

is there any truth to these statements?
"the better REV pilots hold their handles lower, compared to the bodies. You can actually see this in a group of team fliers, newbies fly towards the shoulders and experienced or master class pilots fly closer to their hips!"

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

DONT PANIC,,,Relax and enjoy.Its like flying on your own, but with some freinds showing you the directions.

Very true, itís works great just so long as you can keep following your friendís example.

On another note itís also a good technique to employ when trying to learn a new move, if you have a friend that can do it, get him to fly it while you attempt to follow. Iím no psychology expert but I reckon it stops you thinking about the mechanics of ďhowĒ and concentrates the mind on the kite.

Aaaah That was a GOOD day Bri . . . almost a year ago now and i still get that stupid grin whenever i fly with others :P

I donít think I will ever loose that. Thatís what we do this for isnít it?

If I wanted to fly alone I would have become a duel-line flyer. :devil:

"the better REV pilots hold their handles lower, compared to the bodies. You can actually see this in a group of team fliers, newbies fly towards the shoulders and experienced or master class pilots fly closer to their hips!"

Pretty much, but don't get confused between cause and effect, lowering the hands doesnít necessarily make you a better pilot, itís the self confidence that allows experienced pilots to relax.

Frankie Says Relax

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

I think that there is truth there. At Wildwood I got out of my car and walked straight into a 15 person line. (nobody got hurt). The most I'ld ever flown with at that point was 6, and that was not for long. Typically it's just Melanie and I. I noticed that my hands were high, My arms and shoulders were tight, and my hover was shaky. I made a concious decision to lower my hands and relax my shoulders, and what do you know?....my kite flew better. Oh yes....also....had the grin going.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

We all luv that Big Daft Grin.

Wish we could bottle it and sell it.
Hello Paul,
The hands lower is a good point.The linked video of some Handsome fella :rolleyes: .I think shows more what both yourself and Bob are talking about.Aaway with the Fairys just flying,,,,BDG on the face..

LOL,

BRIAN...

Edited by big bri, 27 October 2009 - 08:34 AM.

#8 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Another piece of advice that goes hand in hand with the "take a deep breath and/or relax" refrain that I give to people is::::
Fly the kite don't let the kite fly you.
That and loosen up on the handles, fly with your fingers instead of manhandling the foam.

My .02

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#9 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hands at hips?? Never flown like that... my flying technique is more like elbows in to sides, hands in front of me, but not in a tense way (more to prevent inadvertent elbowing of fellow flyers!)

In light winds, moving arms up / out can help a lot, e.g. one arm fully extended, other hand up near shoulder / ear (if you can picture that) can allow you to keep flying in very marginal winds.

But I would say, fly how you feel comfortable. We all have different flying styles, but the "relax and don't panic" is still a good maxim :)

Hezz

#10 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hands at hips??

I saw Bob doing that at Wildwood but they weren't his hips!!!!
"Don't go in there!" RC

#11 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

HAHAHAHAHA..............nice reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Is that why they call it Wildwood?
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#13 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

We all luv that Big Daft Grin.

Wish we could bottle it and sell it.
Hello Paul,
The hands lower is a good point.The linked video of some Handsome fella :rolleyes: .I think shows more what both yourself and Bob are talking about.Aaway with the Fairys just flying,,,,BDG on the face..

LOL,

BRIAN...

Plenty of examples of long arm pulls in that video. Complete mobility is the key in my view. Tensing up doesn't do it!

Felix

#14 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hands at hips?? Never flown like that... my flying technique is more like elbows in to sides, hands in front of me, but not in a tense way (more to prevent inadvertent elbowing of fellow flyers!)

In light winds, moving arms up / out can help a lot, e.g. one arm fully extended, other hand up near shoulder / ear (if you can picture that) can allow you to keep flying in very marginal winds.

But I would say, fly how you feel comfortable. We all have different flying styles, but the "relax and don't panic" is still a good maxim :)

Hezz

'Bow and arrow' has limitations that I have been trying to work around. It's a habit I had and I have been taking some time to un-learn it...

Elbowing is something that was not a problem in the grid. <grins>

Felix

#15 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

ah! the ole don't squeeze a cobra, instead hold a baby chick.
In fact hold 'em so gently that the wind could almost rip it from your finger tips.

I flail,
but when hovering my hands are never near my armpits,
closer to my pants pockets is much more likely.

#16 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

ah! the ole don't squeeze a cobra, instead hold a baby chick.
In fact hold 'em so gently that the wind could almost rip it from your finger tips.

I flail,
but when hovering my hands are never near my armpits,
closer to my pants pockets is much more likely.

Arms straight down with handles horizontal is what I would advocate. Translating this into high wind situations is interesting but if there is no effective 'forward' it may be viable...

'Flail' may have negative indications that are actually incorrect.

Felix

#17 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:56 AM

Felix,
I agree, . . . and I'm quite proud to be an accomplished flailer!
You can't be a flailer only and be welcomed in team efforts though, somebody gets poked in the ribs! Flailing alone is where I am most of the time. Big movements are needed for slack-line efforts, 3D and low or no wind. You need to get the kite flat (parallel with the ground) for field recoveries. Everyone laughs about it whenever witnessing me, then they sneak over for a lesson/or an explanation. Soon thereafter, they are being pointed-out also and chuckled at.

The whole smooth and graceful flight thing is fine sometimes, Revs are famously know for that level of control. But rolling the kite into the flying lines upon landing, then doing the unroll launch, the throw & catch trick, flipping the wing inside-out repeatedly, axels and dramatic tip stabs, done consistently,... those are all flailing techniques, not the mark of a dangerous rookie, but of an experienced pilot.

It's okay laugh away (or, "viewed negatively") I like entertaining people with kites and my antics. There is little desire to even want to fly anymore, unless there are spectators around. I live almost on top of a complex of 26 soccer fields, instead I'll hassle with the DC monument grounds after a 50 minute drive.
So many restrictions to deal with there,... sound volume, no parking, security everywhere, sidewalk safety, bathroom access, presidential helicopters, no stakes placed in the ground, sprinkler systems that suddenly activate mid-day, but there are always appreciative crowds too.

I don't teach folks to flail, when giving first-timers a lesson. In fact, I encourage smooth and graceful control, don't follow my example! The techniques of flailing aren't difficult to master, but you have to have control before they are of much value. I consider flailing practice as expanding my skill set, not a flaw in technique. I can do smooth and graceful, but herky-jerky is much more fun, just don't stand too close to my personal space!

Attached Thumbnails

• Reach4it_.jpg
  • Nat__ls___08.jpg

#18 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:07 AM

Felix,
I agree, . . . and I'm quite proud to be an accomplished flailer!
<snip>

I have been working on 'very slow' flying which also requires big input on occasions especially in light breezes.

Felix

#19 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hi Alden-

That's funny stuff!!!
Another tidbit to help with team flying is to not pay any attention to the lines crossing and wrapping, It looks really cool, but shouldn't stress you out! As they get wrapped, they will unwrap too. Just ride your breaks and trust the folks next to you and enjoy the ride. B) B)
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#20 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Another tidbit to help with team flying is to not pay any attention to the lines crossing and wrapping, It looks really cool, but shouldn't stress you out! As they get wrapped, they will unwrap too. Just ride your breaks and trust the folks next to you and enjoy the ride. B) B)

Excellent point, Laura and every bit as important as relaxing!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users