Photo

13th Annual Treasure Island Kite Festival

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

Poll: TI Mega Fly (16 member(s) have cast votes)

I will be flying in the Mega Fly

1. Yes (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. No (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

I have booked a room for the Festival

1. The Thunderbird Beach Resort (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. The Best Western (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Other (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

Barbara & I made it home safely yesterday. We had the best of times in many years too, even the competitions turned out to be fun. We'd go back there again next year for sure!

I didn't take any pictures but I did made a bunch more flailers and shared the French Bridle option.

Ben joined our team against the Rev Riders, together with Scott (from Tennessee) and my pairs partner Paul Dugard.
We only had one team move though, since the group was assembled just to prevent a FREE first place to those other guys. We started our routine with an axel launch from inverted to a stationary hover (a choked back 3/4 rotation with the leading edge winding up facing right).

Ben just kind of looks at us funny with the explanation, . . . then after a couple of practice throws he's making it look effortless!
We executed it flawlessly to gasps from the spectators. We proceeded the rest of routine to completely embarrass mister dantonio with our lack of style, missing opportunities for recognizable formations or even any creativity. Still it was good enough for second place and a chant of "We're goin' to Nationals!"

I taught the axel inverted launch to Alden as well, he was like a kid in candy store with gramp's inheritance money.

Scott Weider and I worked on an interesting landing together. You know how you pull the kite from the sky to do the "catch"? Well if conditions are just right we could each pull only the outer line and the kites would gracefully rotate to the leading edge facing away from you (like a gun barrel pointed at the horizon) and the kite resting on the ground close together, a paired landing so to speak. We practiced it a couple more times until we could rotate out of it at the last moment without the impact. Then Scott goes all ballistic rolling it up snap landing style and his oh soooooo s-l-o-w axels. More of his antics I haven't LaMASTERed yet.

I basically flew only my full suite of Bazzer's Pro and Zen kites all week. They are fantastic in case you haven't experienced one of them. My son and his significant other female companion even came over from Ft. Lauderdale to surprise me!

The place where we flew was so super, great weather and great friends besides, .... see ya' next year Treasure Island!

#142 jardeon

jardeon
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

I'll just leave this here ;)

Posted Image

- Jared

#143 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

0118101059d.jpg

Sorry for the low resolution. I took this pic with my phone while holding the handles of the B-Night on the right with one hand.

Edited by Scott_of_melnsct, 21 January 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#144 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Barbara & I made it home safely yesterday. We had the best of times in many years too, even the competitions turned out to be fun. We'd go back there again next year for sure!

I didn't take any pictures but I did made a bunch more flailers and shared the French Bridle option.

Ben joined our team against the Rev Riders, together with Scott (from Tennessee) and my pairs partner Paul Dugard.
We only had one team move though, since the group was assembled just to prevent a FREE first place to those other guys. We started our routine with an axel launch from inverted to a stationary hover (a choked back 3/4 rotation with the leading edge winding up facing right).

Ben just kind of looks at us funny with the explanation, . . . then after a couple of practice throws he's making it look effortless!
We executed it flawlessly to gasps from the spectators. We proceeded the rest of routine to completely embarrass mister dantonio with our lack of style, missing opportunities for recognizable formations or even any creativity. Still it was good enough for second place and a chant of "We're goin' to Nationals!"

I taught the axel inverted launch to Alden as well, he was like a kid in candy store with gramp's inheritance money.

Scott Weider and I worked on an interesting landing together. You know how you pull the kite from the sky to do the "catch"? Well if conditions are just right we could each pull only the outer line and the kites would gracefully rotate to the leading edge facing away from you (like a gun barrel pointed at the horizon) and the kite resting on the ground close together, a paired landing so to speak. We practiced it a couple more times until we could rotate out of it at the last moment without the impact. Then Scott goes all ballistic rolling it up snap landing style and his oh soooooo s-l-o-w axels. More of his antics I haven't LaMASTERed yet.

I basically flew only my full suite of Bazzer's Pro and Zen kites all week. They are fantastic in case you haven't experienced one of them. My son and his significant other female companion even came over from Ft. Lauderdale to surprise me!

The place where we flew was so super, great weather and great friends besides, .... see ya' next year Treasure Island!

Hi Paul-

It was definitely a great time, all the way around!! Thanks for giving us some strong competition!!!!Posted Image You guys are great!!!!Posted Image I had a blast standing next to you in the team fly on Monday; you are one, funny dude!!!

I had a go at your axel launch, too!! ... thanks to Rich for showing me. That's a great way to learn it!!! Now, I just need to practice it Posted Image ... yikes!

Sadly, I didn't have a chance to check out my Zen. Certainly, no complaints on the wind meter!!! lol

Between great weather, an awesome bunch of pilots, and tons of laughing, what else could we want? .... besides a few more days of it!!!! Posted Image

Are you planning on MIKE? It's not too far off!!! Hope to see you and Barb there. Barb, hope you are running up and down the beach, flying your undies off at Ocean City!!!

xoxo to you both-
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#145 MalMan

MalMan
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Bazzer, Dean Jordan, Alden and Denny making aerial music.

RevsSpermComet.jpg IMGP5964.JPG

#146 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

.... and for a different perspective, Mailman-

IMG_2040as.jpg
Laura

Posted Image

#147 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

Back home now after the Disney portion of our vacation. And what a great vacation it was!

We got soooo lucky with that weather.

It was such a great time. It was nice to meet so many of you and fly with you. :)

Night flying on the beach Friday night was really cool. (Thanks David, for bringing the extra lights)

Thanks Denny, for hanging in there with me and working on our technical issues. We had the camera going most of Saturday until the battery drained and it turned off. Somebody forgot to plug in the power adapter before leaving the balcony. Oops. :blushing: On Sunday, we just couldn't get a stable connection from the hotel wifi for some reason.

Scott, Rich, Laura, Sammy...the Rev Riders were great, and thank you for letting David and me fly with you on Sunday.

Thanks Jynx, for transporting my kite bag. Made our travels a lot easier. And for the cool videos of me and my daughter playing at sunset.

And everybody else...all the fliers and the organizers...it was such fun, and I am certainly hoping to make it again next year!
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#148 MalMan

MalMan
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

.... and for a different perspective, Mailman-

IMG_2040as.jpg

Nice shot, Laura, can you top this one? :wacko: (all puns intended of course)

Peter

IMGP6263.JPG

#149 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Nice shot, Laura, can you top this one? :wacko: (all puns intended of course)

Peter

IMGP6263.JPG

AWESOME SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#150 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi All,
I was wondering If anyone have any video or still photos of The Rev Riders that they could share with me! I will pay for the files if needed.
Thanks in advance.

Nice Shot of the Comet over the beach, looks like it just came down through the street.
Nice work,Peter.
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#151 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

I'll just leave this here ;)

Posted Image

Let's file this in the "a picture is worth 1000 words and some of those are not family friendly" file

Huge props for capturing THIS one :D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#152 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

I was wondering If anyone have any video or still photos of The Rev Riders that they could share with me! I will pay for the files if needed.

Just returned from our vacation last night... I've got some Rev video which I will put together and Utube as soon as I have time...
Scotty, you rock! Both as a pilot, and more importantly... as a down-right cool person!
Great to meet you!
Hope you and Daren are having the time/s of your lives!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#153 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Nice shot, Laura, can you top this one? Posted Image (all puns intended of course)

Peter

Hi Peter-

I wish I could; that's a great shot!!! My KAP was being used by someone else; so not my work.

To me, this sort of tops it... not literally, of course .... lol The stack is just way cool!

IMG_1989aas.jpg
Laura

Posted Image

#154 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

Just returned from our vacation last night... I've got some Rev video which I will put together and Utube as soon as I have time...
Scotty, you rock! Both as a pilot, and more importantly... as a down-right cool person!
Great to meet you!
Hope you and Daren are having the time/s of your lives!

Hi Jynx-
Great seeing and flying with you. You rock, too!!!
I saw your photos on FB.... very nice! Great memories.
I still think you should blow off your local festival and come down to Wildwood. Posted Image
Laura

Posted Image

#155 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Nice shot, Laura, can you top this one? Posted Image (all puns intended of course)

Peter

IMGP6263.JPG

So thats where the Mc Donalds is.
Great shot!Posted Image

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#156 MalMan

MalMan
  • Forum Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

To me, this sort of tops it... not literally, of course .... lol The stack is just way cool!

IMG_1989aas.jpg

Sorry, Laura, that is a great shot but I just have to reply with this mystery shot? Why are the right wing tips ahead of the kite in front of it?

Stack Mystery.jpg

#157 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sorry, Laura, that is a great shot but I just have to reply with this mystery shot? Why are the right wing tips ahead of the kite in front of it?

Stack Mystery.jpg

In a word.............
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#158 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Stack Mystery.jpg

Hi Peter-

VERY COOL!!!

So, let's seeeeeeee......Posted Image

My guess would be that you shot from above (obviously) and the kites were more vertical, flying horizontal.

Awesome!!

I can't wait to get out there and play, again.

Come to Louisiana or Maryland or better yet, Wildwood!!! They're all going to be tons of fun; I promise!

Edited by Love2fly, 28 January 2010 - 02:47 PM.

Laura

Posted Image

#159 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Stack Mystery.jpg

Because you are looking at the backsides of the kites from just behind the stack. The kites are progressively further away from you and toward the flier as you look from left to right.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#160 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

To my RevRider pals...

This One's For YOU!

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Jynx, 04 February 2010 - 03:04 AM.

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users