16 replies to this topic

#1 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

I'd like some suggestions from others who have taken their kites on an aiplane, would my rev kite bag with my kites be allowed as carry on, or must I check it. If so, I am wondering what others have done. Thanks.

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

greg good to see you here my man :lol: the most kites ive had on alane was big baseball size duffle bag with 20 kites but that was before the strict airport laws now.. you should call your local airport and find out the bigest carryon and luggage bag you can use.. you can fold your revs down to fit in a suit case but it will have to be bug enough to fit the rods.. a suit case has a lock so nothing gets ripped off good luck ma and see you in the wildwods ;)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

I took some kites to Mexico last summer. The airport people had no problem with it as long as it fit through that little plastic square thing with the convayer belt to judge if your stuff is too big or not.

I'm guessing between 1 and 16 revs would be acceptable. (that is just a rough estimation)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

If you guys are serious about taking a bunch kites on a plane, I have the perfect solution.
You can take the max number of bags you want PLUS a golf bag on every airliner I have flown. Therefore I always take my clubs. They make very nice airline travel cases for golf clubs from heavy canvas to hard shell and most have wheels built in. I could get a TON of revs in my golf bag even with the clubs in it. They would also be well protected inside the golf bag. I guess this could come down to a decision at some time like” Gee, do I take my Blast or my 3 wood?” {That’s funny if you are a golfer and a kite flyer like me}

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:45 PM

I have no doubt of your experiences Denny, but I feel compelled to mention I've not had the good luck of being offered this deal... Airlines have always treated my hard golf case as one of my two allowed check in bags.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#6 St.Even

St.Even
  • Forum Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:49 AM

I recently flew with 3 kites and there was no problem treating them as carry ons. I had all of them in one bag. At most they may have you check them at the gate like a stoller and you get them back as you de-plane.

#7 St.Even

St.Even
  • Forum Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:52 AM

I see the sale of golf bags increasing soon lmao (checking e-bay)

#8 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:59 AM

I have no doubt of your experiences Denny, but I feel compelled to mention I've not had the good luck of being offered this deal... Airlines have always treated my hard golf case as one of my two allowed check in bags.

I have thought about it and I guess I have “heard” that they don’t count it. I don’t remember ever having more checked bags than one plus the golf bag. I tend to put lots of extra stuff in the golf bag so that there is less to keep track of. Sorry if I have misled anyone :huh:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#9 MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

I've flown a fair number of times with kites and have done it two ways. If I'm flying with a bunch, I use a single or double SporTube (depending on the number) and check it through. They're almost bullet proof. I know others use a Plano Airliner.

If I'm just taking a few, I'll either just take my kite bag folded down or simply strap them together. Never a problem with security and they'll fit overhead.

I've flown and looked at the rules of a few airlines and I've always seen that anything checked counts toward the max allowance. The only exception that I'm aware of is that a ski bag and a ski boot bag count as ONE piece. (I can see the gears turning...) ;)
Bob

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

john with your golf club bag how do you keep it locked to prevent you gear from theft?? i ask this because when you come to wildwood you say your landing in newark airport that is highly known for stolen stuff be careful my friend ;) i too want to try the golf bag because i have some trips that im planning for this comeing winter

#11 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for all the great advice, I think I'll strip my rev bag, put the strings, handles, eveythingh else in the luggage. Keep the rev bag light, and carry it on. Good idea too take spars out and rubber band them, for my revs anyway, the dual lines kites should be ok. Ive seen airline golf bags cases that latch,

#12 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

good luck greg ;) by the way where are you flying to??

#13 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

good luck greg ;) by the way where are you flying to??

We have a time share in Cabo San Lucas, and I always wanted to take my kites. This year I'm gonna do it, after this vacation we come back to work for a week and off to Wildwood for the international kite festival. BTW, I might have a 120' set of lines made by then, so I can try team flying a bit, though I'm not good enough yet to join John B for the "ad hoc" IQuad at Wildwood, but I can still have fun, maybe next time.

#14 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

You hav a time share in Cabo? Holy cow!!!! My dad also has one! By any chance, is yours at the Playa Grande (I think i spelt that wrong)? That's where i go almost every summer.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#15 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

We are at the Fiesta Americana, about 8km away. I think we stayed at the Playa Grande the first time we went there, is there a mosiac of a marlin in the swimming pool, and facing the Pacific, rather than the bay? If so, that is a really nice place. Maybe I'll tolerate a presentation there just to spend the day on their beach kiting.

#16 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

sweet man im planning a trip to jamica this winter some time in january at the sandles resort in kingston i flew there 2 years ago and loved it i want to go again

#17 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

We are at the Fiesta Americana, about 8km away. I think we stayed at the Playa Grande the first time we went there, is there a mosiac of a marlin in the swimming pool, and facing the Pacific, rather than the bay? If so, that is a really nice place. Maybe I'll tolerate a presentation there just to spend the day on their beach kiting.

Yeah, It's the place facing the Pacific, then if you walk a little down the beach, you run into the sea of Cortez. They've been doing a lote of construction work on it. Last time I went there, I stayed in the new area where they had two infinity pools, two hottubs, and a water slide! The wind there is strong, so if you plan to fly there, bring something vented.

Spence "Watty" Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users