21 replies to this topic

#1 cerfvoliste

cerfvoliste

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

for the past month or so Norton 360 tells me that the forum has a Security Threat when I try to log in.
Anyone else?
Rx
Posted Image
Remember:
No Mater Where You Go, There You Are

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

for the past month or so Norton 360 tells me that the forum has a Security Threat when I try to log in.
Anyone else?
Rx

I'm not a Norton fan, but AVG has never had any problem with the forum.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

Anyone else?
Rx

"McAfee SiteAdviser" of MacAfee Security Center has all green lights for the REV Web site and Rev forum.
Could you send us a Screen Shot of the Security threat you are experiencing?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:50 AM

No problem with 360 and Rev here.

#5 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

i have 360 never had a problem like that
Steve & Sherri

#6 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

I've always thought 360 WAS the problem.

Safari on my Mac says it's ok :)
No problems getting it up - It's using it properly that's the problem!

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

I've always thought 360 WAS the problem.

Safari on my Mac says it's ok :)

Norton "360" is Network Security Software with anti-virus and etc which is for Windows XP(32bit), Windows Vista(all) and Windows 7 (all) not MAC.
Safari is a Network Browser which runs on MAC or PC.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Norton "360" is Network Security Software with anti-virus and etc which is for Windows XP(32bit), Windows Vista(all) and Windows 7 (all) not MAC.
Safari is a Network Browser which runs on MAC or PC.

I KNOW - Great isn't it :lol: I don't have to use it on my Mac :wub:

Gave up with PC's 5 years ago and with Norton when it reached 'Internet Security v10' (on PC's other's in this house insisted on running) as a resource hungry and ineffective piece of... :censored:

Company runs a corporate Symantec product on my work laptop, and most other 'Dark-Agers' I know use Kaperski...

What I meant to say originally was 'Safari on my Mac runs it Ok'

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Don't smile too wide and check things out.
I work with both MAC and PC daily for many hours. I like them both and neither are headaches for me. I have been trained administratively on them, plus various versions of Unix and Linux and almost all DEC O/S's

The reason MAC is not attacked very often is mainly because PC highly dominate the world for home computers. So, who will attackers try to exploit first. The PC of course.
Only in the USA will you find double digit percentages of MACs.
MAC O/S is Unix in the background. The file/directory/users protection which date way back in the 60's and 70's when the internet did NOT exist. Has it been corrected? Look it up and find out.
Windows XP file/directory/users protection leave much to be desired and thus XP was relatively easy to crack. However this has been made a bit more difficult now when you have all the Service Packs installed properly.
Now come Vista which got bad grades because amongst several things the peripheral manufactures were not ready for it and the security was improved dramatically.
Security on Vista and Windows 7 is really superior to Unix and MAC O/S, however I can't say that for XP.

If you think you are free of Viruses and Trojans and etc on MAC, you better starting checking it out now. Don't just listen to the MFR.
One of the primary things our Windows Administrator instructors beat into us was that the number one protection against security threats is insuring you Windows O/S has the latest Services Packs and upgrades. Secondly is the Network Security Software.

The best thing MAC has that is superior to PC is the terrific Apple Service.

For my Photoshop work, give me Vista or Windows 7 64bit. The limits of memory I can use are dependent on the mother boards capability. Mine is 8GB and I can use 7.2GB for Photoshop CS4. MAC can only use 3.3GB. Maybe PS CS5 will be able to handle more on a MAC, but that is at least a year away. For the majority everyday users, it does not really matter as they don't need much memory meaning more the 2GB.

Which O/S is more user friendly. Comparing Snow Leopard to Windows 7, I would say they are very very close for a new user. For existing users, they will bend to the OS they are already using.

#10 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha! :)

Oh don't you just LOVE Windows Vs OS-X Bull$^& wind up!!!

Stand by what I said about Norton, AND yes, I know exactly what threats are out there for Apple users (and they're not all the headline acts either)

OS's Personally I'd rate them as:
Win98 - great. XP - ok, Vista - Can't stand it!
Tiger - Fine, Leopard - Better, Snow Leopard - Quicker but more flawed.

As for Apple service LOL! Although it does have it's moments. Can't stand the way they lock you into i-Tunes etc...(Need to check up, but I thought CS4 could - on SnowLeopard - access more than that...)

#11 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha! :)

Oh don't you just LOVE Windows Vs OS-X Bull$^& wind up!!!

Stand by what I said about Norton, AND yes, I know exactly what threats are out there for Apple users (and they're not all the headline acts either)

OS's Personally I'd rate them as:
Win98 - great. XP - ok, Vista - Can't stand it!
Tiger - Fine, Leopard - Better, Snow Leopard - Quicker but more flawed.

As for Apple service LOL! Although it does have it's moments. Can't stand the way they lock you into i-Tunes etc...(Need to check up, but I thought CS4 could - on SnowLeopard - access more than that...)

Believe what you want! That is your privilege.

BTW, Have you had formal training on any of these O/S's?

I have had formal training on MAC O/S Tiger and Leopard, Windows Vista, Windows 7, SUN O/S, SUN Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX, SuSE Linux, Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux, DEC VMS and a number more going even further back.
I have been a tester of Windows 7 going from beta, rc and now rtm. The latter will be available to the market in 10 days.

I will never forget the Blue Screen Heaven of Windows 98.

#12 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

So is Windows 7 worth upgrading to if Vista is running fine?

Honestly, I really have no issues with Vista. I bought a new computer and spec'd out the hardware to be Vista ready and away it went. SP1 pretty much took care of any issues I did have. I seldom ever reboot to fix a problem. Just haven't paid much attention to v7 yet.

Bart

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

So is Windows 7 worth upgrading to if Vista is running fine?

Honestly, I really have no issues with Vista. I bought a new computer and spec'd out the hardware to be Vista ready and away it went. SP1 pretty much took care of any issues I did have. I seldom ever reboot to fix a problem. Just haven't paid much attention to v7 yet.

Bart

Windows Vista in my opinion is considerably more stable the any previous Windows OS, when you have the service packs installed. The only problem I ever had, if you can really consider it in that category, is the fact that it is a resource hog. After using Vista for a month I said I would never have XP on one of my PC's again. I originally had Vista 32 bit and changed to 64 bit about 6 moths later because I needed the memory capabilities. Vista 32 bit is limited to 3.3GB of memory which is also true of any 32 bit program whether it is MAC or PC. I have been using Vista 64 bit over a year now with absolutely zero problems. Vista is now at service pack 2. You should upgrade now if you have not already done so.

Windows 7 is a great improvement to the Vista. It is built on the Vista Core which is dramatically different from the XP core. Security has been improved even more and it more user friendly the the Vista security. Windows 7 is much easier on resources then Vista and even XP. If you thought Vista was easy to install, Win 7 is even easier. As I use virtual machines both VMWare and Microsoft Virtual PC I have had the opportunity to install Win 7 and Vista in a number of configurations for testing purposes. Where XP can take two hours or more to install Vista and Windows 7 install in less then 20 minutes.

Should you upgrade from Vista to Windows 7? For me it is definitely worth upgrading to Windows 7. I will also be changing from Home Premium to Ultimate as I need some of the Ultimate features for the work I do. If you have a 2GB PC with Vista, you will notice a performance improvement with Windows 7. If you only use your PC for surfing and email it would not make that much a difference. Visually Windows 7 is much nicer and security is simplified. If your real tight on cash and don't really need all the new stuff, stay with Vista. If you need to use more then 3.3GB of memory, go for the 64 bit bit version. It can run the high majority of the 32bit programs. The only one Ifound it could not handle is the Microsoft finger print reader which it never will. The finger printer reader and software was made by another company which apparently had a falling out with Microsoft. Microsoft is buying these finger print readers back from those who bought them and are using the 64 bit Windows Vista and 7.

#14 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

(Need to check up, but I thought CS4 could - on SnowLeopard - access more than that...)

It is very clear, Adobe Photoshop CS4 is only available for MAC in a 32 bit version. Only about 3.3GB of memory would be available no matter how much more memory your MAC has and/or supports. Check any MAC forum, they will tell you the same and they are not happy about it. You will have to wait for Photoshop CS5 which might be available at about this time next year. Adobe "says" that it will have a 64 bit version for MAC by then.

#15 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

Does Windows 7 require all new device drivers or can I keep everything pretty much the way it is? IE, plug in the upgrade and go not plug it in and spend hours working with getting drivers working.

Vista has a SP2 now? Odd. With SP1 I got a notice about it as part of the updates it checks for daily. Haven't with SP2 yet.

I have 64bit on my laptop with 4 GB, but 32bit on the desktop with just 2GB. Both are very stable.

Bart

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Does Windows 7 require all new device drivers or can I keep everything pretty much the way it is? IE, plug in the upgrade and go not plug it in and spend hours working with getting drivers working.

Vista has a SP2 now? Odd. With SP1 I got a notice about it as part of the updates it checks for daily. Haven't with SP2 yet.

I have 64bit on my laptop with 4 GB, but 32bit on the desktop with just 2GB. Both are very stable.

Bart

So far I have not found a case with my system where I need to get a new device driver for Windows 7. The Vista drivers work great for me on Windows 7.
However, I would suggest you run the Windows 7 update adviser to check your PC and Laptop for any compatibility issues.
http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx
It will give you the complete low-down.
Before you upgrade, be sure to backup the OS partition of you disk or whole disk depending on how you set up your system. You never know what might happen, in particular if you have a power outage during the installation.
The upgrade also has the feature that allows you to back out the upgrade of Windows 7 unless you disable it.
You can also run Windows 7 in Windows XP mode. For those interested, check the Microsoft web site for details. Personally it does not interest me because it is going backwards, not forwards.
Windows 7 will install over Windows Vista as long as you keep it to the same versions and in some lower to higher versions. You can go from Home Premium to Ultimate or Home Premium. Business will go to Professional and Ultimate. You would need to check the MS website for details.
You can not do an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You would need to do a new installation there. At least with Vista you can do a new installation from an upgrade. This is an open secret. Your first install without entering a license. Just answer you will enter the license later. It will bug you again. Say later again. Then it throws you into a 30 or so day trial version. After that you can enter the license and you are up an running with as a full version using an upgrade version. I have not checked this with Windows 7 RTM, however it is believed that MS won't change it as it will create other issues. Of interest all version of Windows 7 32bit use the identical DVD. The same is true with the 64 bit version and all Vista versions. Windows 7 and Vista installs everything for all versions. It is the license key that determines which version you are running. To go from an installed version of Home Premium to Ultimate, all you have to do is change the license key and away you go.

Concerning Vista, I notice the same with SP2. I was not notified automatically.

I still have 32bit Vista on another boot partition. It has never failed me. I use the multi-boot feature of Vista to boot other Windows versions. In addition I run virtual machine software which allows me to run other OSs such as Linux and SUN Solaris at the same time I am running Vista or Windows 7. VMware even has a version for MAC to allow them to run Windows Vista and Windows 7 plus others, parallel to MAC O/S.

During my testing of Windows 7 beta and RC, I installed the OS on an older Frys PC with a single core 1.4Ghz AMD CPU with 1.1GB RAM. For me it ran faster then with a new install of Windows XP. Vista would be too much for the old PC, though it should work, like a turtle.

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Norton is a dinosaur. The whole AV business better figure out a new business model.

While there once was a great need, the latest versions of Windows are much more secure. Also, Microsoft just released a free anti-virus and spyware program...Microsoft Security Essentials. It's gotten some good write-ups. I've ditched AVG, as it was getting cumbersome dodging the ads to upgrade. Really, most users going forward will be just fine with the built in Windows firewall and Security Essentials.

Can't wait for Windows 7...I've used the RC version and really liked it.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#18 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

I gave up on Norton quite a few moons ago - it just continually created problems (which I cannot detail because my memory no longer covers details from many moons ago. :angry: )

We have Comcast internet service, which includes "free" McAfee security suite. It seems to work fine, except it is a terrible resource burner - especially the auto-updates that bog the computer down for several minutes on almost every boot.

An unnecessarily long preface to my response to rxburner's original question...

No.

No warnings from McAfee on the Rev forum or other Rev sites.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#19 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:48 AM

Norton is a dinosaur. The whole AV business better figure out a new business model.

Just to be absolutely clear, this thread is actually about a reported phishing attack launched from the revkites.com website. Discussion of Anti-virus merits or Windows, Mac or any other OS are totally irrelevant to the initial query.

Delving into Norton's whinge, it is referring to a page that no longer exists on the server. Maybe it did once but Norton is slow learner. JB checked out the page when I reported it direct some time ago, but obviously if you can navigate (safely) to an alleged phishing page, then please report it.
Andy

#20 Mr Git

Mr Git

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Believe what you want! That is your privilege.

Excuse me :kid_cussing:

I think the way it reads came across wrong - I'm not being complacent about any of this, Apple users need protection (if only to stop passing stuff on to those more exposed) and I wouldn't promote one over the other (apart from Vista which as a user I loathed) they all have their good and bad points. Personally, never had problems with Win98, I think it only BSD'd on me once, and got on well with Norton up to V10. Hope Win7 is actually as good as they made out Vista was.

BTW, Have you had formal training on any of these O/S's?

I have had formal training on MAC O/S Tiger and Leopard, Windows Vista, Windows 7, SUN O/S, SUN Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX, SuSE Linux, Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux, DEC VMS and a number more going even further back.
I have been a tester of Windows 7 going from beta, rc and now rtm. The latter will be available to the market in 10 days.

I will never forget the Blue Screen Heaven of Windows 98.

Yup. Inc NT4. All but the Linux stuff, and DEC VMS was before my time (Although I get to play with the hardware if I have to)... Though not to the kind of level you probably have (only got to play with active directory etc).

Interesting about the Phishing attack, been on a few sites in the past where they've been hijacked, and found stuff trying to load in the background... Lucky not to be running Windows, dealt with it, then informed their admin.

Edited for Typo's!

Edited by Mr Git, 12 October 2009 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users