108 replies to this topic

#101 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

Interesting stats I just got on RevGuild... We now have 41 members and 18 are AKA members, 43% of our club.

The main proponents of the club and all of the officers are AKA members, and we encourage everyone to join, so I think this is an interesting example of the AKA's penetration, or more accurately, what is out there for potential membership once the AKA finds a way to build appeal/return. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#102 MsPrez

MsPrez
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

Lots of posts here while I took the weekend off to get outside away from the keyboard, and to spend some quality time with my sewing machine.
To summarize the comments, they dealt with new kitefliers, Kiting on -line, Google search, Jr memberships, insurance, sponsorship and the website.
Here goes: Yes, the world needs more kitefliers. The AKA education committee has not been active for several years. Glenn Davison has stepped forward and volunteered to change that. My question to him was everyone talks about kids, what about adults not in school who missed out? His group will be coming up with ideas for kiters to take into their own local community to reach out to senior citizen groups, service clubs, youth groups, and schools. One of our best resources is the free downloadable publication "kites in the classroom".
Kiting needs to be on-line. The board of directors will vote on Thursday on the proposal to put all back issue of Kiting on-line. I have heard from no one that opposes this idea. Anyone want to volunteer to help scan back issues?
The mainline newspapers have learned the hard way that if all the content is given away, why subscribe. We don't want that to happen.
The AKA doesn't come up on a Google search. OK, tell us how to change that? What do we need to do?
Junior member ships. The AKA doesn't discriminate on the basis of age. There is no place on the application that asks your age. Whether you are the first member signed up or the 10th member in the household, each one has all the rights and privleges as the first. Every member gets a ballot to vote. Every member can speak up at the annual business meeting. Each person gets their own member number to access the forum and the club house. All it means is that you share a copy of the magazine. If you would rather pay $20 for that instead of $6, I'm all for it.
Insurance: the sanctioning form that event organizers fill out clearly states that the AKA is to be listed as a sponsor of the event and acknowledged as such in the program and in announcements. That may or may not happen, obviously.
Sponsorships: We are actively looking for anyone who would like to help sponsor National Kite Month. If you, your company, your club is interested, drop me a private note.
Website: The website is maintained by a volunteer, and has been for it's entire existence. The website came up a long time ago, and has been added on to over and over. Not a day goes by that I don't send a question to the webmaster. Besides the website, the AKA server handles the distribution and archive of bulk mail from every region; every committee has an email group, every committee chair and every director has an AKA email address. What is the value of this contribution? $50,000 or more a year? Again, all this is by a volunteer.
The AKA is a volunteer run organizaton. Things don't get done just because I wave my magic wand and wish it so. It was not included in my prez kit. Things get done when someone feels strongly about an idea and volunteers to do it. The problem never is lack of good ideas, the problem always is, lack of time to get them done.
If you have some time, let me know, and we'll find a job for you.
Barbara

#103 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Barb, I'd love to chat with you Bout all of this by phone sometime, the forum is limiting by way of typed word.

Available this evening? I'll be back in the office in about 45 minutes if you have time this eve?

503-890-0280

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#104 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I'm available to scan back issues, unfortunately my personal collection of issues is sparce, so I would need printed copies
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#105 MsPrez

MsPrez
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:41 AM

Barb, I'd love to chat with you Bout all of this by phone sometime, the forum is limiting by way of typed word.

Available this evening? I'll be back in the office in about 45 minutes if you have time this eve?

503-890-0280

Sorry I wasn't on line last night. Let's try for next week. The first board meeting is thursday night, and I'm trying to memorize Roberts Rules of Order while the jackhammer is ripping out our garage floor.
Barbara

#106 MsPrez

MsPrez
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

I'm available to scan back issues, unfortunately my personal collection of issues is sparce, so I would need printed copies

OK!!! You're on the volunteer list. Let me find out how many are already digital and how we can get back issues to you.
Thanks!
Barbara

#107 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

Barb, if it's all right by you, let's set up an appt via email?

My next two weeks is going to be bonkers between going to NC, work, wedding preparation, etc. :)

Will be home, settling into the office with my *wife* on Nov 16th... I can find a window to speak before, just need to coordinate.

John Barresi

#108 ssragtop

ssragtop
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

That's a big YES! Have been a member for 20 years. I am also a member of every local kite club in Washington State, I think. And the clubs on both boarders too! I obviously believe in suporting the local kite clubs!
And the Washinton Kiteflyers Association is also an affiliate member!
The cost of one REV will pay for your membership dues! 10% discount is awesome! I just saved over $30 this past weekend alone, Buying a Bazzer Custom Rainbow REV. I Love it! Posted ImageBetter get it done before WSIKF Bazzer! Posted Image

#109 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

That's a big YES! Have been a member for 20 years. I am also a member of every local kite club in Washington State, I think. And the clubs on both boarders too! I obviously believe in suporting the local kite clubs!
And the Washinton Kiteflyers Association is also an affiliate member!
The cost of one REV will pay for your membership dues! 10% discount is awesome! I just saved over $30 this past weekend alone, Buying a Bazzer Custom Rainbow REV. I Love it! Posted ImageBetter get it done before WSIKF Bazzer! Posted Image

When I talked to him Saturday on the way to the banquet, he promised :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users