108 replies to this topic

#41 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

Yep, I am in the members column. There is a US based Rev club with AKA affiliation, but with the number of Rev fliers in the UK and Europe I would not think it would be hard to get one started over there......
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#42 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

I joined about 4 years ago. It started with the great folks over at Elmers here in Portland giving me an extra AKA magazine, when I was in buying a kite.
I always look forward to the magazine.
For me, I will continue my membership to support the association.
The AKA when at events, are not big at pushing membership. Pushy sales people come to my mind if they did.
For all of us who attended WSIKF, it could not be such a well run, enjoyable event without them.

For the drama part of this. ( Sorry T if this does not come over right)
For the region 10 rep, there were 2 people nominated.
Our very own "Winderful" Theresa from the Kite Shoppe was 1.
Well, there was a tie with 70 something votes each, and then 1 person who could have been a tiebreaker, doing a write in ballot with another name. Talk about ongoning supense.
Good Luck on the re-vote T !!

And Thanks to Ben and Amy as ongoing reps here on the west coast in their regions.

Ken

#43 Brad B

Brad B
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

I sent my renewal in last week. Without AKA, there wouldn't have been a local kite festival and I wouldn't have found Revs. It's a pretty inexpensive way to say Thank You.
Brad Bixby
Whidbey Island, WA

Posted Image

#44 Hal

Hal
  • Forum Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

I joined about 12 years ago, 6 months or so after I discovered kites again. For a lone kiter in the backwoods, it provides a lot of good instruction through the magazine and friends I have made through AKA. I also feel that even if I don't always agree with AKA policies or decisions it is good to have a national organization to support the individuals.

#45 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yep, I'm a member. Mag is great, local AKA affiliated group is great, though I wish I could get together with a group closer to home, and I really have made most of my kiting connections through AKA events and groups. Thanks!
George

If it flies, its cool!

#46 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:25 AM

Sheepishly I have to admit, no.

My reasoning is basically financial tho. When I lost my longtime job a year or two ago due to downsizing, I had to cut down on non essential expenses to stay afloat. Until I started sport kiting, I really didn't see a need to carry a card in order to fly a kite.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#47 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

agreed there.. ill do whatever to support our sport.. i was a member of aka for a while i did not renew simply because i didnt feel the need to .. i have flown kites for 23 years ive always done it on my own terms.. i will say without the aka we wouldnt have what we have now as they have a great group of people that get kite festivals all across the globe..im mostly a local flier and i dont really think that the aka colud really do much for me.. i do have a stack of kiting mags witch i did enjoy getting so i could see what my fellow fliers are doing out there..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#48 oh oh

oh oh
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Am member

#49 oparadis

oparadis
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Ok so I am member and have been as soon as I discovered it.
I think if you can apply logic that everything is connected many times in paths and networks, you can see that if you own and even made a kite, then the AKA is some how has genetically touched it more then likely. Which means even if we did not have insurance, magazine, and sanctioning, it would still be very valuable if only a bunch of fliers get together once a year and compare notes and show off. Any kitefler would eventually benefit from it.

by the way, the mag is pretty damn good compared to the earlier years. And of course you could compare it to all the other kite mags (excluding power kites).

just trying to put another perspective on the subject that is positive. As I tell my daughter all the time " its easy to find the negatives".

kj
Peace
Kurtis Jones
Alive Archives .com

#50 cerfvoliste

cerfvoliste

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Yes I am an AKA Certified Kite Flyer since 2004.

Rx
Posted Image
Remember:
No Mater Where You Go, There You Are

#51 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

Kelly and I Are AKA Members..
This is 10 years for me...

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#52 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

Member. The Benefits outway the costs..

So JOIN THE AKA

#53 visual

visual
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

Lori & I are both members

love the magazine and all the festivals that they put on...
Mike T

I've never met a person who owns a kitebag that I didn't like

#54 spotter

spotter
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

1. Nope
2. Australia is just to far away. Local clubs here offer similar discounts and idea's. I am here for the wonderful information that I can find about rev flying
Trying to fly "Down Under"

#55 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

Two members at this addy.

#56 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

2 members in my household as of tomorrow. :)

I've been a member since 1990.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#57 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

2 members in my household as of tomorrow. ...

Not excited are you?

Congrats ...

Tom

#58 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

Ben,

You've asked a great question ... part of which I've asked myself repeatedly since I started flying kites a little over a year ago.

I have not joined the A.K.A.. The honest answer is that guilt is the only reason I can currently think of to join. Kiting and kiting folks have brought me a ton of enjoyment since I started flying. The family has shared flying tips, building tips, kites, food, shade, etc. ... I really should step up and contribute by joining.

However, nowhere is A.K.A. really pushed or sold. I've never received a sales pitch from my flying friends, local club, merchants or kite manufacturers. With no sales pitch, there's no rush to change the status quo!

Regards,
Tom

PS ... Ben, if I find myself staked out in the sun with no food or water at the next club fly, it's your fault!!!

First of all, I'm a member and so is my daughter and we're paid up for the next 3 years.

I used to push membership pretty hard to all new IKE members, but I find it hard to do now. So Jeepster got off easy. :P

-Magazine
Most of the time, I just spend 5 minutes skimming the magazine and I'm done. But that's just me. I do pass around or give away copies of the magazine.

-Convention
It's scheduled both during the school year and during the week rather than over a long holiday weekend.
That means I've never been able to take my daughter. It would have been a great fun, but she's always been excluded.
Since it's scheduled during the week means that my adult friends, in addition to paying convention & hotel fees, also have to take off a full week of work--that's too expensive for most all of them.

-10% discount
I find that most dealers will give you 10% off just by asking. You don't have to be an AKA member.

-AKA Clubs
IKE is a registered AKA club, and we used to get the insurance, but we don't really need it and I stopped paying for it.
Other than a listing in the AKA magazine, the AKA doesn't provide much for the club. We have 215 registered members and I don't think any of them found us through the AKA.

So you guys tell me (and Ben)--how do I sell the AKA to IKE members?
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#59 MsPrez

MsPrez
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

First of all, thanks much to Ben for posting this question and thanks to all of you for replying.As of Thursday, I will be the next president of the AKA.
My husband, Alex, and I have been proud AKA members since 1977. It was our local club for over 10 years, and is still first in our hearts. He spent much of convention week teaching the food vendor to fly a Rev during the guy's breaks.
The comments have been interesting to read.
The AKA cannot please everyone, and do everything. To kick off the discussion, some notes.
Insurance: Last year the AKA spent $24,000 on insurance. Fees paid by local clubs covered only $6000 of that cost. Many beaches and parks will not permit an organized event to be held without insurance. The choice is to pay $150 to the AKA, or to attempt to find private insurance at a much higher cost. If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you have paid for individual liability insurance that will cover you anytime. It is no longer available to the AKA at any price.
Magazine: One of the best benefits of membership. The new issues still come in the mail. Last year we added one older issue to the members only section of the website. This year we plan to add one old issue every quarter until all past issues are on line.
In the next issue, look for a centerfold. Hmm, wonder what the editor will do with that? As to the international flyers, we know that you no longer have kite magazines regularly published. The AKA will attempt to fill some of that void. The editor has proposed adding an 8 page insert to be mailed to international members with the winter issue of Kiting. The only requirement is to sell enough ads to pay for it. Please contact the editor for complete rate schedules.
Convention: Location and time of year are regularly debated. Should it be held in the summer when more students could attend? Perhaps, but then you pay much higher hotel room rates, and rental on meeting space. Hot summer days often mean no wind. In my area, which is Minnesota, there is a festival every weekend in June, most weekends in July, every weekend in August, and 3 of 4 in September.
International: Actually, the international region, that is everything outside of the US and it's territories, is the only region that has grown over the last 5 years. Next year, the region 13 director, Linda Sanders of Australia, will take over as chair of the membership committee. We already have plans in place to do outreach to non-members instead of waiting for them to return to the AKA website.
Why join? Why join any professional organization? The AKA is a community of kiters that accepts absolutely every kiter, and every style of kite flying and building there is. We are not specialized, we are universal. Your dues allow festivals all over the world to happen. Your dues help support the website where event organizers find manuals to help them get started. Your dues allow the 50 page Kites in the Classroom to be available for free download to anyone. Your dues keep the AKA events calendar on line for no charge listing of events. Your dues allow the regional directors to send mail to every member in the region and publicize events for no charge to the organizers. Your dues earn you a 10% discount from member merchants. Just one member merchant reported that last year they gave over $24,000 in discounts to AKA members. Your dues allow member merchants to be listed in Kiting and on the website for no charge. Your dues allow affliated clubs to be listed in Kiting and on the website for no charge. Your dues support National Kite Month events and the NKM website.
Other kite organizations have come and gone, the AKA has been around for a long time. This was our 32nd convention. With your help and support, we'll be around at least another 32.
Thanks for reading a super long post.
See you on the field
Barbara

#60 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

Steve and I are members.
Steve & Sherri