18 replies to this topic

#1 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:38 AM

I looked back in the forums and didn't really find this topic addressed thoroughly, although it probably has been at one time or another. The question -- what weight lines should be used for particular Revs in particular winds? Here's why I ask...

My "normal" lineset is 85' or 100' Berry Blue @ 140# weight. I'm starting to wonder if that's indeed too heavy a weight. For a Rev 1.5 in, say 12 mph winds, it doesn't seem to pull enough to warrant that weight lineset. The reason I say that is I don't weigh much more than that, and I'm NOT being pulled around with the kite in those winds. But what about a Shockwave or Rev I in those winds? They pull a lot more than the 1.5 (or even Rev 2 for that matter), but again, I'm NOT being pulled around.

Now the Blast series is a different discussion altogether -- they obviously need a stronger lineset. For my "regular" Blast, I use 200# lines when the winds are up and it DOES pull me around.

But what about the Rev 1.5 and Rev I in winds around 12-14 mph. And no, I'm NOT talking about vented Rev 1.5's and Rev I's because they obviously pull a lot less. What weight lineset makes the most sense without breaking it?

And a question for the iQuad team... For your 120' lines (I don't have a lineset that long, but am thinking about getting one), what weight lines for your group activities? I'm pretty sure that you are using Rev 1.5's. But do you ever use the 120' lines with Rev I's?

Questions... Questions...

Thanks, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:18 AM

To answer your last question first... Yes, iQuad does fly Rev I's on 120' lines, but very rarely.

We used to use them in the very lightest winds, but now we have indoor team kites, and indoor frames for our 1.5's. ;)

As for line weight... I never go up to my 150# lines on a 1.5 unless it's really cranking out there, pushing upwards of 25-30 mph.

Assuming we're talking about a non-vented, 3-wrap 1/4" leading edge, eventually switching to a vented... We'd fly 50# lines up to about 5-6mph, then ride on the 90# lines all the way up to about 25mph... Now bear in mind, my boys on iQuad are very comfortable riding the brakes in big wind and keeping it under control.

Nonetheless, 90# is tough stuff when you're distributing the pull across four lines. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:49 AM

Great questions. Great answers. That is why I come to the Rev forum.
How about, expanding this to include line length questions. I just cut down an old set of 80í to two 40s to fly my new SUL. I really have enjoyed flying it in very light winds with the short lines. I havenít even tried it with longer lines yet. I was wondering what length lines are best to use in what situations. When one of you very experienced flyers with lots of line sets goes out to fly what makes you chose which line set to use. I fly on the beach and noticed the shorter the lines the better it is as far as finding real-estate to fly in.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#4 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hi Doug, guess you're getting ready for a week full of flying at AB!

Since we both patronize the same shop; I, like you, mostly fly the blue line. For the 1.5 and 1, my lines rarely exceed 100# even at 120'. When flying single kites I do have two exceptions: 1) when flying in exceptionally gusty wind, and 2) when I want the heavier line for it's added drag.

I have never had a quad set break while flying with a steady pull. The only quad line I have ever had break was with a hard sudden wind gust like we can get on our NC beaches in the spring and winter.

Have fun next week, I am looking forward to being there the following week.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#5 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Thanks John. You've verified my suspicions that I might be over-killing it on the line weight. And Kip makes a good point about gusty winds or when you actually WANT the drag.

MrDenny, my favorite line length is 85'. I started out with 100', but I like the small amount of closeness that 85' gives. Of course, that's when there's enough real estate to fly them. I've flown my 3-stack of Rev 2's on 45' line when it was crowded, but I'd rather fly them on longer line. I have a 24' lineset that I used with my UFO rigged for quad, but was never very successful in flying a UFO on quad lines. So I now use it for catch/throw.

Kip, you're half right. Getting ready to go to AB, but only will be there for 4 days and weather looks a little bad for at least one day. Second day the forecast is looking like 22 mph winds, so it looks like a vented (particularly Sonic Vented) type of day. And Ed likes to fly on his 120' lines out at Fort Macon, so I was thinking I might pick up a 120' lineset (100' is the longest that I have) and was trying to figure out the weight to get. Maybe I'll get them cut with 100# instead of 140# lines if I actually get them.

Later, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#6 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:15 AM

I tend to fly on 90#, 120 ft for nearly everything now, no matter the wind, however I have a 150 pound set on order, just to be a little safer, and I DO really like 50 pound in next to no wind. But, 90 seems to work for everything.

:-)

Like John says, while we don't use 1s very often, I usually have at least 1 in my bag and I recently picked up a vented 1, I like to practice precision on 1s. Mind you, just over a year ago, you couldnt separate me from 1s for everything. :D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

I fly "almost" exclusively on 90lb. Shanti lines, going from REV II all the way up to REV I. Most of my 90lbs are over 10 years old and I still have not broken one except for one instance when it was cut by a fighter kite line.
For trains or a blast I will shift to stronger 150lb. lines pending the conditions.
In very light winds a train of 3 REV 1.5's are fine with me using 90lbs. For others it may not be. If the wind gets stronger I will shift to 150lb lines.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

i have 90 # 85 and 100 foot lines lazer pro and they work great for me for lighter winds i have 50 # shanti all work good for my 1.5 for my blast its 150#100 feet as i mostly fly it in light winds
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:12 AM

At a festival last weekend I was flying my vented 1.5 with 3 wrap spars using 90# lines in 20 to 30 mph winds.
Normally, I would changed to a 4 wrap, but it was too cold to take off my gloves :)
I was doing all the standard sort of rev moves, even aggressive starts, stops and dives and the the 90# lines and 3 wrap spars (the kind the come in the EXP) are pretty darn strong!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#10 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

What is the normal length and weight for Indoor Lines that you use????

tks

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:29 AM

i have a few sets for indoor as the diffrent gyms i fly in are all diffrent in height all my lines are 50# 12 20 30 and 50 feet those work great for me and im new to indoor ive only been doing it for a year now

#12 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

i have a few sets for indoor as the diffrent gyms i fly in are all diffrent in height all my lines are 50# 12 20 30 and 50 feet those work great for me and im new to indoor ive only been doing it for a year now

I am starting now... getting the equipment ready and finding a place to fly ;)

thanks for the infos the lengths are exactly the same I am making... ;)

#13 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

when indoors and doing the slack line stuff you'll quickly be disappointed w/50 pound lines. They tangle WAY too easily to justify the minor weight savings.

75# berry blue is better, but the best line for my purposes is 90# LPG, it's much stiffer (higher modulus) than anything else.

#14 Lagrenge

Lagrenge
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

when indoors and doing the slack line stuff you'll quickly be disappointed w/50 pound lines. They tangle WAY too easily to justify the minor weight savings.

75# berry blue is better, but the best line for my purposes is 90# LPG, it's much stiffer (higher modulus) than anything else.

I was thinking on using 30Kg (+/- 65#) lines for my indoor

#15 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

revflier while this is true i have had no problems with my linesets.. but however as a newbie myself i will try those lines as well .. i never did before because i get a good feel with the 50 # lines

#16 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Here's a test,....

wad-up about 15 feet of line (at your feet) and then throw the kite out away from you. If they come out clean then you're good to go, if they tangle into a bird's nest of a knot you'll know why I hate the lighter weigh lines.

Or, alternately
Did you ever tangle 'em around a splinter in the floor or a screw from the sunken electrical box, even the grass and twigs in a flying field can make a nightmare of mess. You can't do anything once the lines get fouled-up, the darn knots and nesting becomes permanent.

The lightest weight lines aren't as slipper either. The weight gain and reduced drag isn't worth the hassle/risk to me!

As always, each of us has our preferences and we don't understand why everyone doesn't do it our way <LOL> That's why you need enough experiences to make your own informed decisions. Try out different things and see what works the best for your style.

Your choices may vary and there's no wrong answer, just have fun.
That's why we fly quads most of the time anyway!

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

Here's a test,....

wad-up about 15 feet of line (at your feet) and then throw the kite out away from you. If they come out clean then you're good to go, if they tangle into a bird's nest of a knot you'll know why I hate the lighter weigh lines.

Or, alternately
Did you ever tangle 'em around a splinter in the floor or a screw from the sunken electrical box, even the grass and twigs in a flying field can make a nightmare of mess. You can't do anything once the lines get fouled-up, the darn knots and nesting becomes permanent.

The lightest weight lines aren't as slipper either. The weight gain and reduced drag isn't worth the hassle/risk to me!

As always, each of us has our preferences and we don't understand why everyone doesn't do it our way <LOL> That's why you need enough experiences to make your own informed decisions. Try out different things and see what works the best for your style.

Your choices may vary and there's no wrong answer, just have fun.
That's why we fly quads most of the time anyway!

Very Well said! I agree with your assessment.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#18 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

I find 50 lbs line too light, however when just starting you may like the extra weight reduction.

Not flown the 1.5 indoor kite indoor but I have flown a SUL Rev indoors for best part of 5 hours non stop :kid_smartass: that was 80 lb line Shop bought SUl Rev but extended handles.

Indoor get loads of lengths, outsid echeck what yur buddies fly. Team usually 120 ft ( i have 100 (short) & 120 (long) in 50, 80, 150 & 200 ilb line - and yes I flown them all (the last with a complete double frame !!)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#19 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

I use 90# lines 99% of the time.
If the wind picks up and the lines' whistling turns to death screams, I switch to a Vented 1.5, Rev II or if it's really honking, Vented Rev II.
More wind than that and it's coffee time. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users