EXP in light wind

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

My EXP does find in windy conditions; say 10 to 20 mph, but if the wind drops, as it often does in my area, it falls lifelessly out of the air.
I wonder if I have enough range of wrist motion to reduce the angle of attack and increase the lift sufficiently.
I've thought of adding perhaps 3/4 inch to the cords on the lower ends of the handles to reduce the AOA to get lift enough to stay controllable.
Is this a reasonable thing to try?
Big Dan

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi Dan,

It's an easy enough thing to do, that it's worth a try for the experience... But, it won't be an effective solution in the long run.

You might check out this article on light wind Rev flying...

http://www.kitelife....ind40/index.htm

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:24 PM

Thanks John,
There's a lot to digest in the site you directed me to. I'll have to give it serious study.
Dah
Big Dan

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

My pleasure.

Take your time... Spend a couple hours, comfortably working on one piece at a time.

Really, no need to understand/use it all at once. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:44 AM

its not as hard as it looks john s page does explain it very well once you get out there a few time you ll find a routine you ll follow everybody has their own way of doing things i did learn a coulple of moves that i found in that page but their are other things i  do to 1 is the float method on dayse when the wind is still you can fly in a circleular motion like flying indoors the main thing to always rember is to stay moveing when you move you genreate  a 2 mph of wind espically when you walk backwords the main thing ive seen with new light wind fliers is that tey wil walk backwords all the way to the other side of the field in a straight line and that is like painting yourself into a corner good luck to you man i hope this helps you out
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:13 AM

the absolute easiest adjustment for better low wind performance is longer throw handles.  You can add more movement (float, stall, reverse, hard pull, inverting, flat-spin) with a bigger "throw" in each grip.

don't squeeze the angry cobra either!, instead gently grasp a baby chick,.. (fly with a light, delicate grip, using finger motions)

use shorter line lengths, 30-50 feet

replace parts with lighter pieces

add more surface area to the sail

change to a more responsive bridle, in fact, . .... try flying without any bridle at all!

Your next kite should be a 1.5 SUL w/a two wrap (Professional) frame, but continue to use solid carbon ferules

Have fun as you go thru the experiments, you will learn a lot by playing around with the kite, not just by practicing (which you'll also do a lot of)

See if you can find a local "coach", that alone will cut years off of your learning curve.

paul
maryland, usa

#7 Txscout

Txscout
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have an exp and always fly in low wind (normally 3mph). I use a race frame and i made ~20' line set by gutting paracord. I also use this hand position:image.jpg
The best advice i was give is to fly it like an indoor. One day i was flying and the wind would literally shift 180 degrees without warning so i really got to work on that(this was before i made the other line set so i was on 80') when you get used to it you are literally part of the kite and you are dancing with it. I hope this helps😀

#8 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Paracord ... I'll give you points for resourcefulness there rolleyes.gif

When you can, I would suggest getting some better line to improve your experience. Paracord has a degree of elasticity by design (30% minimum according to the MIL-C-5040H specification) which is not desirable when flying since it's going to mess with your control inputs.

Decent line (LPG, Shanti) will make your control inputs immediate and more precise which should give you a more pleasant flying experience and faster skill improvement.

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

A couple of questions - 

What handles are you using? Stock EXP, SLE, or "B" style? Stock leaders or home made? All plays a roll in decision making!

Adding length to the bottoms actually increases the AOA by letting the bottom out and leaving the top in! Pulling the top too far forward won't let the sail fill efficiently! You might feel some initial gain in ease of launch, but overall poorer performance! Learning to "square" up the sail to take advantage of any wind is closer to the answer!!

I like to use a sailing analogy - going upwind, if you trim the sails too tight, they lose power! You loosen them up, adjust course, everything works much better! 

Most of us use longer top leaders to adjust that angle and take advantage of the wind! There are topics on the forum to look at!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users