Kite suggestions please

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

I have had 3 Rev kites now but don't know that I've found the one that suits me, therefore some sensible input would be appreciated. The first Rev was an SLE Standard. It allowed me to learn the basics. I fitted an EXP LE which made things better but when the wind picked up just a little I found the flight too bumpy. I then bought a Vented SLE and flew it mostly with the EXP LE. Much better - very smooth. I sold both kites and but miss the Vented and the smooth precision it offered. What I didn't have with both was the speed factor so I bought a new Rev2. Great little kite but my main concern was that I had little or no feel - I just don't feel connected to it. The wind on the West Australian coast has it all - light winds through to very strong. I want something that will give me reasonable precision as well as speed so I guess we're down to the Supersonic Standard/Vented, Shockwave or Blast. I'm favouring the Blast at the moment. Are there any downsides to it, or are one of the others better? Any input would be appreciated.

#2 Albroswift

Albroswift

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

I have had 3 Rev kites now but don't know that I've found the one that suits me, therefore some sensible input would be appreciated. The first Rev was an SLE Standard. It allowed me to learn the basics. I fitted an EXP LE which made things better but when the wind picked up just a little I found the flight too bumpy. I then bought a Vented SLE and flew it mostly with the EXP LE. Much better - very smooth. I sold both kites and but miss the Vented and the smooth precision it offered. What I didn't have with both was the speed factor so I bought a new Rev2. Great little kite but my main concern was that I had little or no feel - I just don't feel connected to it. The wind on the West Australian coast has it all - light winds through to very strong. I want something that will give me reasonable precision as well as speed so I guess we're down to the Supersonic Standard/Vented, Shockwave or Blast. I'm favouring the Blast at the moment. Are there any downsides to it, or are one of the others better? Any input would be appreciated.

I'm no expert, but trying for one "Do everything" kite may not be the answer. Why not have an array of Revs in the bag?

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

If you are looking for 1 kite with speed precision and a wide wind range I'd go for the Vented Blast.

They now come with 2 LE's Race and SLE it fly's in surprisingly low winds for a vented sail with the race LE 2 up to about 10 mph before it starts bending like a foil then the SLE will keep you going until your feet leave the ground ;)

Got one about 6 months ago and its been the one most out of the bag all summer. :wub:

Attached Thumbnails

• 06_24_09_1306.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

I suggest trying a Blast before you get one. Blasts/Supersonics/Shockwaves fly very differently than the 1/1.5/2 series of kites.... they side-slide far more easily, to the point where they can feel very "slippery" in the air. You might find that you love this style of flight, but personally, I didn't take to it at all and craved the locked-in feel of the traditional Revs.
kairusan

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Anytime you move up in speed or power, you will lose some of the precision. The Blast is a "Blast" to fly as it has the ability to fly in the lighter winds although it is a little "mushy" feeling. It floats awesome and can be fun in the light stuff but I find that it really starts to come to life in winds over 10mph. The kite locks in hard and pulls! It has a lot more speed than the 1.5's with a ton more pull. Precision is there but you really have to work for it with a lot of counter-steering. It doesn't snap back to a stop without some reverse-input. This is mainly from the Blast's larger sail and increased inertia.

It sounds to me like you would be happiest with the Sonic or Shockwave. The Speed series kites have a lot more speed than the Blast but not quite as much pull, although they do pull a ton more than the 1.5's or Rev 1's. In the stronger winds, the Shockwave and sonic will yank you around with the speed of a bumble bee on steroids. The Shockwave pulls a little bit harder than the Sonic.

One thing to note is the wind ranges that you will be flying these kites in. The Speed Series seems to excel in the stronger wind ranges above 10mph. This is when I like them best. In the lighter winds they do a ton of floating but to me, the fun factor really drops off quickly under 10. The Blast is a little better in the lighter winds but still, anything under 6-8 mph I would rather fly something else. I am a bit of a power junkie when it comes to the larger kites though. Your results may be a bit different, especially if you like the slow floating, delicate and graceful type of flying.

To help you see just how the different kites fall in line with what you have already flown, I have made up a couple lists of the different models.

In terms of speed - from slowest to fastest:
Rev 1
Rev 1.5 (exp, 1.5, b-series)
Rev 1.5 SLE
PB 4-8
PB 2-4
Blast
Rev II
Sonic Vented
Shockwave
Supersonic

For Power from least to most:
Rev II
Rev 1.5 (exp, 1.5, 1.5 sle, B-series)
Rev I
Sonic Vented
Supersonic
Shockwave
Blast
PB 2-4
PB 4-8

As mentioned above, the Speed and Power series kites handle quite a bit different than the other models so if you can fly before you buy that would be best. From reading your post and what you have done thus far with the Rev's, I would lean towards the Supersonic or Shockwave as these two kites are challenging and blistering fast - but tons of fun to fly!

If you are mainly wanting a kite to pull your arms off, then the Blast or PB 2-4 would be my suggestion.

Hope that helps.

Edited by awindofchange, 29 September 2009 - 11:33 AM.

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Anytime you move up in speed or power, you will lose some of the precision. The Blast is a "Blast" to fly as it has the ability to fly in the lighter winds although it is a little "mushy" feeling. It floats awesome and can be fun in the light stuff but I find that it really starts to come to life in winds over 10mph. The kite locks in hard and pulls! It has a lot more speed than the 1.5's with a ton more pull. Precision is there but you really have to work for it with a lot of counter-steering. It doesn't snap back to a stop without some reverse-input. This is mainly from the Blast's larger sail and increased inertia.

It sounds to me like you would be happiest with the Sonic or Shockwave. The Speed series kites have a lot more speed than the Blast but not quite as much pull, although they do pull a ton more than the 1.5's or Rev 1's. In the stronger winds, the Shockwave and sonic will yank you around with the speed of a bumble bee on steroids. The Shockwave pulls a little bit harder than the Sonic.

One thing to note is the wind ranges that you will be flying these kites in. The Speed Series seems to excel in the stronger wind ranges above 10mph. This is when I like them best. In the lighter winds they do a ton of floating but to me, the fun factor really drops off quickly under 10. The Blast is a little better in the lighter winds but still, anything under 6-8 mph I would rather fly something else. I am a bit of a power junkie when it comes to the larger kites though. Your results may be a bit different, especially if you like the slow floating, delicate and graceful type of flying.

To help you see just how the different kites fall in line with what you have already flown, I have made up a couple lists of the different models.

Rev 1
Rev 1.5 SLE
PB 4-8
PB 2-4
Blast
Rev II
Sonic Vented
Shockwave
Supersonic

Rev II
Rev I
Sonic Vented
Supersonic
Shockwave
Blast
PB 2-4
PB 4-8

As mentioned above, the Speed and Power series kites handle quite a bit different than the other models so if you can fly before you buy that would be best. From reading your post and what you have done thus far with the Rev's, I would lean towards the Supersonic or Shockwave as these two kites are challenging and blistering fast - but tons of fun to fly!

If you are mainly wanting a kite to pull your arms off, then the Blast or PB 2-4 would be my suggestion.

Hope that helps.

What a simple,but cracking explination for anyone.

Thanks Kent :)
BRIAN...

#7 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Rev 1
Rev 1.5 SLE
PB 4-8
PB 2-4
Blast
Rev II
Sonic Vented
Shockwave
Supersonic

Rev II
Rev I
Sonic Vented
Supersonic
Shockwave
Blast
PB 2-4
PB 4-8

Awww, nuts. I shouldn't have read this thread. This is a shopping list. And it's going to haunt me until I complete my shopping... :lol:
dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

Kent, Have you tried the new Vented Blast yet ? if not I highly suggest you do your views may change a little ;)

Very different animal than the standard Blast with the race rods, The venting is a perfect match for the race frame in light winds very precise snaps and tracks as well as a 1.5 and OMG the axles :wub:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 potterthree

potterthree
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hi all,

I have very much enjoyed this thread. I love the lists of slowest to fastest and least to most powerful. I have a 1.5 SLE, 1.5 SUL, Blast and Power Blast 2~4. So far, my favorite tends to be either the best suited for the wind at the time, or more often, my newest one. :) I enjoy going to events where I can meet other flyers and try their kites. So because Rev flyers are so sharing and kind...I have flown several other models/versions. That's what keeps it fun for me is trying other kites. I wonder if I'll ever truly master any of them?!?!?!? So.......anyone have a Power Blast 4~8 or a Supersonic and live near Santa Rosa, CA? Those I would really like to try....and it goes without saying you can try any of mine! For some reason, I just can't afford to buy the entire REV lineup just now...

George
George

If it flies, its cool!

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

Awww, nuts. I shouldn't have read this thread. This is a shopping list. And it's going to haunt me until I complete my shopping... :lol:

Dont forget all the various Rod sets you will need too.

Then a kite for each rod set in each size, just so you dont have to keep swapping the rods out in the field.

Oh and the truck to carry them all in. :-)

#11 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

Dont forget all the various Rod sets you will need too.

Then a kite for each rod set in each size, just so you dont have to keep swapping the rods out in the field.

Then comes various line lengths and several custom handles.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#12 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

Like this?
Posted Image

Or more like this!

Posted Image
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:50 AM

Yep, those were along the lines of what I was thinking.

Course, then you might need a trailer for the ground stakes and any other stuff you might want.

#14 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

I have not tried the Vented Blast yet, though to my knowledge the Vented Blast can only be purchased through special order as Rev does not include this with their current production lineup. Correct me if I am wrong here.

I will need to get in touch with Lolly and see if she can include a Vented Blast in our next shipment.

#15 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

I have not tried the Vented Blast yet, though to my knowledge the Vented Blast can only be purchased through special order as Rev does not include this with their current production lineup. Correct me if I am wrong here.

I will need to get in touch with Lolly and see if she can include a Vented Blast in our next shipment.

They are special order Kent so just let us know..... :blue-cool: :blue-cool: :blue-cool: Ben

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

AAAAHAHHHHHHHH,Its your fault Jim[Fortflyer].

Its a conspiracy,
Ile call ya later Ben

BRIAN...

#17 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Attached File  Pauls_truck.bmp   900.05KB   60 downloads this is the truck I use, I can take lots of kites with me! B)

Like this?
Posted Image

Or more like this!

Posted Image

Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users