Hello everybody,

My name is John and I'm a kiteaholic.

[crowd: Hi John]

I've been flying for 47 days now.

[crowd: Good work, John]

-----------------------------------

But seriously folks...

-----------------------------------

I used to have a blast(!) flying kites from my youth late into my teens. My pal John Vann and I used to collect as much string as we could find and put our 5$ plastic deltas up as high as we could. Sometimes we'd barely see them, they were such little dots in the sky. My favorite was white and had a cartoony eagle printed on it with sharp claws outstretched to grab a dinner!

Since then, I've had the odd 10$ slk delta in the car with me and would occasionally enjoy them in the sky. They're pretty to look at, but not very interactive. I had no idea that 'sport' kiting had advanced so much in the last twenty years. When I'd last seen trick kites in the early 90s they were quite new and I imagine that the prices were sky high (I never asked).

Recently a good friend of mine let me try his Cherry Bomb dual line kite... I tried to resist the pull, but I was hooked pretty quick. Three weeks later I owned a std AcrobatX, followed by a Prism Snapshot 1.4 and a Silverr Fox 2.3 UL a month after that.

Today, I received my first Revolution 1.5 from Mark Lummas in CA and I was out in the field figuring it out after work and before dinner. Despite the nasty flies flocking around my head and darting into my eyes after the day's rain... despite the fact that I forgot my second set of 80 foot lines at home... despite the fact that I was pretty frazzled from a long weekend and a popped ball joint, 40 mile tow and ninety minutes of car work today... despite the fact that I only had two flights that lasted more than 15 seconds... I HAD A BALL !

I took the kite out after work tonight and had a an awesome great time with it. I even had a few straight up and down flights. Most of my flights, however, were perfect semi-circles up twenty feet and back down to earth on the leading edge twenty feet away... some to the right, some to the left. I don't want to over-analyze and I'm in no hurry to get better at this; I want to enjoy the journey and figure it out little by little. I know that once I understand this, I can never go back and relive these first few steps of the adventure.

I like how the kite comes down to earth with a much much softer thump than my two-line kites did at the beginning.

I can already use the brakes unevenly when the kite is resting LE down (yay, I figured that out!) and get it back on its tips... or fly it backwards a tiny bit if I go slowly.

Near the end of my evening's adventure, I started clamping the sides of my two thumbs together so that I wouldn't try to turn the kite by pulling back (like a dualie). It worked a little and I'm eager to get back out when there's time, energy, wind and daylight again.

Since I only had one set of lines, I tied two loops in each one offset from their midpoints by equal amounts and flew one line tied twice to the kite on each handle. I don't know if I should continue trying to learn using this 40 foot distance or get the two sets out and play at 80 feet as I learn... what do you all suggest?

If I could only get one video to learn the how-tos of starting... should I look for a copy of the DVD that ships with the 1.5 or is the Advanced Training DVD that comes with the B series kites simple enough for a complete newb? I'm thinking about how I'm going to introduce my wife to four-line flying in the near future (she's not mechanically minded so I need to describe things to her in an easy day-to-day manner) and the DVD should be able to help her when I'm not around.

Hope your day was as good as mine!

Bonjour from Montréal,
John

#2 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

hi john
greetings from the west coast and welcome to the darkside
great to see you are a committed rev addict
good luck improving your skills
cheers
terry
Posted Image

#3 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Welcome to The Dark Side, enjoy your journey!

The real reward is when you can go out and fly, and feel that you have learned from the last time you were out and enjoy the new found sense of control you have that day. Come back and let us know how you are doing, and ask any question you have. The "B" series video is much better than the original, especially for beginners.

You are in great, international, company here!
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

welcome,
Watch this video of Joe Hadzecki teaching a young woman. It may help you a bit now and it should help later when you try to get the wife involved.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

Welcome, The best thing in the case of your wife is to get her own kite and let her go. ;) short lines are more difficult (IMHO) to learn on let out those 80's and confirm they are equal, no sense in adding any challenges. Feel free to ask anything our quadline family will always come up with an answer, if not we can make something up :blink: .

Paul
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Welcome John, you do realise you are on the slippery slope now you have a Rev?

Pretty much anything you need toknow has already been talked about on here, either trool through the forum, or just ask away.

I stood and watched Joe for about an Hour in Portsmouth, he is great at getting folks flyin, you should be able to learn from the video. And I agree, if you can get to look at the B seried DVD that comes with the kite it will also be a great help, from line winding to packing away.

Very innovative of you to make up your 80ft dual lines into 40ft quad. I think I would have sat and cried, then gone home in the situation you were in.

Definatly put your two 80ft dualie lines together to make a quad set. Shorter lines make everything happen real quick, longet are better to learn on. Do check them as KK said to make sure thay are all equal though.

Good luck.

#7 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

Definatly put your two 80ft dualie lines together to make a quad set. Shorter lines make everything happen real quick, longet are better to learn on. Do check them as KK said to make sure thay are all equal though.

Don't go too long too early though, get much longer than the 80ft you are thinking about and you start to introduce "satellite lag", especially in lighter winds, any sag in the lines causes a delay between input to the handles and the effect on the kite. You also have to remember that every foot you ad to your lines adds two to “the walk of shame” one there and one back.

80ft is a great length to learn the basics on, go longer when you feel ready to fly with others and then go for shorter lines to sharpen up the reflexes and improve the finer stuff.

Welcome to the Darkside.
:big_starwars:

Enjoy.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#8 UKTotty

UKTotty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

Seems John bought his fom the same guy I bought mine, so we have a matching pair

Enjoy it mate

#9 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

:)

Practice #2, Hour #3...

I can fly! I can fly!
I can fly!

How awesome!

I watched Joe and Daphné and kept repeating to myself at the field, "the one that is on top, needs a little brake... the one that is on top, needs a little brake... the one that is on top, needs a little brake... the one that is on top, needs a little brake..."

I had a couple of good flights. And it settled in what I needed to do. Then I had a couple of -better- flights and it sunk in more. And then I was slaloming with control... and I was able to use the power lines and feel this baby tug... and then eventually I was doing figure eights with control.

Somewhere along the way I lost track of how to cartwheel recover properly, so I'll be reading RevKites Techniques page again shortly. I saw the info about it there.

I used the eighty foot lines (all four)... I don't know if that is what made the difference or the overnight sleep and video tutorial.

Lucky for me, the rain came just when I needed help to get back to work on time.

And those nasty flies seem to black flies swarming... they bite, the nasty little buggers. I need to put a pair of clear safety glasses in the kite bag to help keep them out of my eyes.

It's all good,
John

Edited by JMZ, 23 September 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#10 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

Tis true, tis true!

Have you flown yours yet?

It's your first, yes?

Seems John bought his fom the same guy I bought mine, so we have a matching pair

Enjoy it mate

#11 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Practice #3, Hour #4...

It's getting better and better... really quickly.

I can fly about 65% of the time I'm on the field now. I can decide what I need to about 80% of the time, and then I'm probably making the right move about 80% of those occasions.

I can see how tugs are helping and when they can be used. I can feel the tension on the power lines, and on the brake lines as well. another four or five hours and I think I'll be up in the air without too many more failures. I can see how this becomes addictive... you can make this kite move in any of the four directions at any time.

I remember the first time I saw one of these; I almost immediately thought to myself... bah, what's with the fancy-pants kite. Now, I can't understand how come it took so long for Joe and the Universe to get in synch and design this awesome machine.

My kite has some short breaks in the screen where the kite gets folded all the time. I'm convinced that I can repair them by taking some more screening, edging it with black ribbon, overlaying it (passing over the leading edge) and stitching it into the holes of the existing screen. Does this seem like a reasonable repair to you guys? Anybody seen a better idea?

The glasses helped... but now I think I'm going to have to take some mosquito repellent with me as well ! Now, there are two reasons to want the wind so bad in the field... it drives the blackflies away !

Tonight's flight ended when the rain clouds started letting go. I was wondering how come the sky was dusk-dark a half-hour earlier than usual :wacko: Absolutely soaked ! That hasn't happened in about twenty years.

Later,
John

PS - What's it going to be like when we take Jim's Rev 2 out next week? Will it be a whole lot different than this 1.5?

#12 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

Hi John-
Welcome to the family!
I started out with SLK's too, played with the dualies (did buy a Cherry Bomb, too!) ...although, I've never taken it out of the bag it came in!
I found out about the Revs and have been hooked ever sense!!!!

Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions here. Everyone is happy to share their knowledge and experience. I highly recommend that you read and read and then reread the old threads here. You'll be amazed at the wealth of information that you'll learn. There will come a point when you're on the field, by yourself, and something happens and you're "stuck", then all of a sudden, something will "click" and you will figure out a solution; something you remembered from everything you've read!

Most importantly, have fun!!!

Good luck and good winds-

Ps....
The Rev II is much quicker and twitchier. Your inputs will be much quicker on it. It's a good kite in a higher wind. If you want something really quick on the response, try the Rev II on 20' lines!!!
I've found that I have fun with any Rev that I'm flying!

Edited for the Ps

Edited by Love2fly, 23 September 2009 - 07:46 PM.

Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#13 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

A quick repair I saw mentioned was to use the zig zag stitch on asewer and repeatedly cover the split till it heals.

You could use tedlar repair tape. One thing Ithought about doing was getting some leading edge material and patching the whole area that is split with it. So in effect you place it over the mesh in that area and the same amount of patch onthe same side.

The split in mine is about 6" long. Kite still flies though. I have retired it now.

The Rev 2 is great fun.

#14 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

Glad your enjoying yourself! If you can keep with the steady practice you'll start seeing that learning curve flatten out fast. If you can find someone with some experience it will be even better!

Have fun!

Bart

#15 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Cooleroo!!! Think I'll go fly a bit now!

Hey Bart... did you guys attach rave type light-up bracelets to that thing or not?

Glad your enjoying yourself! If you can keep with the steady practice you'll start seeing that learning curve flatten out fast. If you can find someone with some experience it will be even better!

Have fun!

Bart

#16 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

Was just some simple super-bright LEDs on the four tips. Angled in to light up the sail a bit. So in the photo you see the point of light streak from the LED and the larger blur from the lit up portion of the sail. Maybe a half second exposure.

Ideally, a tripod would have been better and a longer exposure with a higher ISO setting would have shown more and looked better. For a cheap camera and hand-held it turned out okay.

Bart

#17 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

Practice #4, Hour #5...

This kite is now officially pwned!!! :) :P ;)

It sure flies better when all four lines aren't twisted around each other! Now that I can spin at will, I can keep them straightened out.

Only had to do the "walk of sh***" twice. I was able to regain my field always after the first ten minutes.

Has anybody else vocalized that you can actually fly this kite by the top two lines? I figured that out finally. For a green beginner, the brake lines can be thought of as being used for steering adjustments only.

I had a very cool maneuver develop on me... with the LE always pointing up, I was able to draw a circle in the sky by sliding the kite around. Is there a name for that?

Loving it...

And awesome how bright black and red are against a clear blue sky! (with some very puffy clouds for decoration).

John

#18 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

Bart,

Cool cool cool !

Do you know about these...
http://www.castawayl...iteBattery.html

Self contained and very, very lightweight.

They probably don't throw as much light as what you used, but they are very neato.

John

Was just some simple super-bright LEDs on the four tips. Angled in to light up the sail a bit. So in the photo you see the point of light streak from the LED and the larger blur from the lit up portion of the sail. Maybe a half second exposure.

Ideally, a tripod would have been better and a longer exposure with a higher ISO setting would have shown more and looked better. For a cheap camera and hand-held it turned out okay.

Bart

#19 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:15 PM

And awesome how bright black and red are against a clear blue sky! (with some very puffy clouds for decoration).

You seem well and truly converted now! Lost to the dark side as everyone here likes to say.

Time for some pictures!

Bart

#20 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

John,

I am so thrilled that you have thrown yourself in to this so enthusiastically. Practice really is the key with Revs and the way you are going, you will be an expert in no time! As you have seen, on this forum you are surrounded by friends with plenty of helpful advice and we look forward to hearing about your next adventures.

Best wishes,

Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users