B Series VS B Series Pro

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chris1686

chris1686
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

What are the differences i know that the Pros are sewn by bazzer but over all whats the benefits to the Pro.

#2 chris1686

chris1686
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

OOps didnt mean to add 2 new topics

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

OOps didnt mean to add 2 new topics

Duplicate topic removed!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:21 PM

As far as their ability to fly and do all the stuff, not much. Both kites are awesome and of great quality. The biggest difference between the flight characteristics of the B and the B-Pro would be the pilot.

As far as the actual construction of the kites, thats where the biggest difference lies. The B-Pro is custom made piece by piece, meaning that each piece is cut and sewn together in the kite. Baz also makes sure that the bias of each panel is properly laid out on the sail. The bias of the material will greatly effect how the kite wears over time. Another huge detail in the Pro is the finishing touches on the trailing edges, leading edges and how each panel is laid up and sewn. Also the Pro sail is 100% Icarex, making the kite just a hair lighter overall than the B-standard while still maintaining full strength (b-standard is a combination of Icarex and ripstop Poly).

Whether the B-Pro or the standard is good for you will depend on just how nice of a kite you want to purchase. The Standard B is an awesome kite and is top of the line from Revolution. The B-Pro is similar to getting a masterpiece type kite, custom made and with all the tedious details finished the way a custom boutique kite should be. :)

Hope that helps.

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

You might compare the difference between the two like the difference of a BMW 330i(high end production version) to the hand made finely tuned BMW M3.

The Rev 1.5 JB standard is the high end production version of the REV 1.5. The REV 1.5 JB Pro is the hand made and finely tuned version of the REV 1.5 JB.

Another thing you will notice is the color patterns. The JB standard has the same colors going all the way across on each horizontal panel, except where the vents are.
The JB pro can have different panel colors across the horizontal. On the vented versions there is also a slight variation in the shape of the vent panels.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:56 AM

I didn't believe it either!
but an experienced pilot can "f-e-e-l" the difference immediately,..

the Pro is just smoother in flight and it backs up easier too.

#7 UKTotty

UKTotty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:03 AM

So what are the prices of these 2 beasts then?

#8 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'll come in with this from the side of a recreational flyer. I can fly. I can stay in the air 99% of the time, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I cannot tell the difference between my regular b-series and my pro series in terms of how it flies. Honestly, though, I never expected to at my current level of skill. If I was just starting out I wouldn't spend the extra money on a pro, but I would still go for a regular b-series for sure.

That said, why did I buy a pro? Simply because I wanted a custom colour layout. I already knew it would be built with the utmost of skill.

This is not to say the pro is not a superior kite. It is not superior for my flying abilities, but it is for others. And, there is no doubt that it is a few steps up in terms of construction. It is "crisp" for a lack of a better term. What others say is accurate. It is the icing on an already really good cake.

You would not go wrong with either.

Bart

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

I agree with Bart. I got mine because a) I wanted a midvent to fill out my collection. B) I wanted a cool new color pattern. c) I knew it was well made and finished. It's a quality kite that has some extra effort in it.

However, I do not notice any significant difference in the flight characteristics from the other kites I've flown. So far, I don't feel like there's anything I can do easier on this kite than any other.

Now, it may not be a completely fair comparison in that I've not flown a midvent much before I got this kite. Pretty much all my time has been on a standard 1.5, a vented 1.5 and a vented B. So I'm not making a true apples to apples comparison with a similar 1.5 model. If there are differences, I think it's quite subtle, and a person could probably only tell what they are by doing a side by side test of one kite after the other in the same conditions.

Having said that, I love my Pro, and when I flew it last week with the sun backlighting it, it was absolutely beautiful. :)
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#10 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

And, I will also say, I agree with Jeff!

This was my first mid-vent after using only the std sail and full vent so I too was not doing a true apples to apples comparison. Just going by "feel".

As for the backlighting. Mine, when it catches the sun at an angle, sparkles. I love it!

When making a choice I would just ask myself if I will be happy with my choice. If the answer is no, then go with what will. They aren't cheap kites so you want what makes you happy in the end.

Bart

Edited by bartman, 22 September 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#11 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

What are the differences i know that the Pros are sewn by bazzer but over all whats the benefits to the Pro.

Hi Chris.
The flight characteristics of the B Pro IS the difference. Let alone the colour choices.
The general B Series kite is a extremely good machine and if this is your first purchase I would suggest cutting your teeth on a B series.
The B series package gives you extra spars and longer knotted handles and is fantastic entry kite.

So why the Pro series?
This came about because the factory Team, iQuad, wanted something even better.
During the many hours of flying we noticed many things about the flight characteristics on the B series that weren't constant across the team kites. Also we wanted our own colouration on the sail
So a many prototypes later the B Pro was born. The first B Pro sail was sewn by me and finished at the factory and we had issues with a few things. So Ben said "Bazzer you make them how you want them". That led to the Leading edge and Trailing edge changes.
All of the changes have now produced the B Pro 2009.
Smoother in flight in forward and reverse and a better loading of the sail has been achieved from these changes.
The leading edge fraying issue also was resolved and over all the kite is more durable to the rigors of team flying.

People keep saying it just feels better.
Actually the main responses so far over the last year from experienced pilots have been.."Wooow" and "Oh my God".
They don't want to go back to their regular B's after flying the Pros.

So my advice to anyone starting in this pastime?
B series full sail , Mid vent and Vented. Buy good line. Laser Pro is the best.
Learn to fly, knock the stuffing out of them. Bang them into the dirt and each other.
Learn wind speed and when to change spars.
Build up you experience and knowledge.
Learn the craft from people just like you on this forum. No question is considered dumb. We all have to learn from somewhere.
Then sell/pass on your B series to a new flier and buy a set of B Series Pros.
You will then be in a position to truly understand the differences.
Also you make the entry level to new flier a lower price. Share the love.

For me however. Give me the Sports car over the Ford Focus every time. But of course the only reason that I can drive Sports car is I learnt to drive in the Focus.
Chicken and egg.
You buy a Fiberglas fishing rod and simple reel when you learn to fish. Then you buy a carbon rod and a beter reel when you have decide this is for you.
Or you just spend your money once wisely the first time.
No man walks in another mans shoes. Do whats right for you.

Saying all that, there is a reason that so many of the top teams in the world fly the Pros.
It isn't just hype.

Bazzer

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#12 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

So far, I've bought 5 B-Series and 3 Bazzer Pros.

The early B-Series were very hit and miss in construction. My first 2 were made out of up to 4 different types of sail cloth and each type has different stretch and wear characteristics. They got very baggy and 'lumpy' after a season of flying. My next 3 B-Series were mostly done in Icarex, but the construction looked 'rushed' and not as carefully made as other kites in that price range.

I first flew Bazzer Pros last year and noticed how much better the craftsmanship was. There was a noticeable improvement in reverse flight, partly due to the trailing edge having a much smoother curve. Seams were sewn straight, the bias in the panels was aligned correctly and stitches were back-tacked. Little details, I know, but I appreciate someone taking the time to do things right

#13 chris1686

chris1686
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hi Chris.
The flight characteristics of the B Pro IS the difference. Let alone the colour choices.
The general B Series kite is a extremely good machine and if this is your first purchase I would suggest cutting your teeth on a B series.
The B series package gives you extra spars and longer knotted handles and is fantastic entry kite.

So why the Pro series?
This came about because the factory Team, iQuad, wanted something even better.
During the many hours of flying we noticed many things about the flight characteristics on the B series that weren't constant across the team kites. Also we wanted our own colouration on the sail
So a many prototypes later the B Pro was born. The first B Pro sail was sewn by me and finished at the factory and we had issues with a few things. So Ben said "Bazzer you make them how you want them". That led to the Leading edge and Trailing edge changes.
All of the changes have now produced the B Pro 2009.
Smoother in flight in forward and reverse and a better loading of the sail has been achieved from these changes.
The leading edge fraying issue also was resolved and over all the kite is more durable to the rigors of team flying.

People keep saying it just feels better.
Actually the main responses so far over the last year from experienced pilots have been.."Wooow" and "Oh my God".
They don't want to go back to their regular B's after flying the Pros.

So my advice to anyone starting in this pastime?
B series full sail , Mid vent and Vented. Buy good line. Laser Pro is the best.
Learn to fly, knock the stuffing out of them. Bang them into the dirt and each other.
Learn wind speed and when to change spars.
Build up you experience and knowledge.
Learn the craft from people just like you on this forum. No question is considered dumb. We all have to learn from somewhere.
Then sell/pass on your B series to a new flier and buy a set of B Series Pros.
You will then be in a position to truly understand the differences.
Also you make the entry level to new flier a lower price. Share the love.

For me however. Give me the Sports car over the Ford Focus every time. But of course the only reason that I can drive Sports car is I learnt to drive in the Focus.
Chicken and egg.
You buy a Fiberglas fishing rod and simple reel when you learn to fish. Then you buy a carbon rod and a beter reel when you have decide this is for you.
Or you just spend your money once wisely the first time.
No man walks in another mans shoes. Do whats right for you.

Saying all that, there is a reason that so many of the top teams in the world fly the Pros.
It isn't just hype.

Bazzer

Thanks Baz
I actually just put in my order for the Pro Rasta black with full vent from the kite shoppe. Theresa said it should take a a couple weeks for you to get that finished. I know it'll be beautiful. Thank You

#14 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

It isn't just hype.

No, it's not hype. I had the privilege of flying JB's pro while at the Rev Clinic at SPI this past February (Rev Clinic- highly recommended. SPI kite fest- HIGHly recommended! ;) OK, cheap plug for the SPI Kite Festival at South Padre Island, TX, first weekend of February). And I like my B-series, don;t get me wrong. And I like my other Revs too. They all rock in their own way. But the Pro was a different kite in a new league of its own. It was like flying a laser. In the hands of an experienced pilot, it's an incredible extension of the heart through the arms. In the hands of a novice like me, it was still within my abilities- the kite would do EXACTLY what you told it to do... the trick being knowing what to tell it! Watching a master with it (or 5 masters, since iQuad and Ben D was there) is amazing. I'm working on it though. And the zen was really good. :)

One day, I'll be able to afford a full set of Pros. I've had time to practice this year, even in Central Texas with the 100+ degree days all summer. And yes, I will most definitely pass on my B-series standard and mid vent (oh, that mid vent. Sooooooo sweet. Thank you, Ben) to another to get them started.

Bazzer, you do amazing work. There's a lot of love in these creations.
dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#15 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hi Chris...

I know a lot has already been said, but here's an easy comparison....

The difference from a 1.5 SLE to the B Series is, to me, about how big a diffeence there is from the B Series to the B Pro. At each level, I've found a noticable difference in the way the kite feels in the air. These kites have gotten smoother and smoother with each level of refinement!!!! :) B) The big kicker is, you can choose your colors or just choose from some sweeeeeeeet patterns that are already done!!!
It is soooooooo worth the difference.

Good luck with whatever you fly!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

Everything Bazzer said earlier+ .
He Is The Man when it comes to build quality and hes a proper pilot to.Both of these tools combined are a large part of the Pros Trates.Mix in iquad,Ben,Lolly,,,ya got a winner

Another aspect i beleive is,Ther Reasuringly Exspensive
Ther is a definate Sychology in the statement that gives them a feel of a special Top Quality.

BRIAN...

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:12 AM

I think Bazzer put it perfectly. I believe there is a significant difference, best appreciated as your skill increases. Had a similar chat with Kent just this evening and bought the b. As a newbie, I'd rather save the expensive crashes for when I'm better at flying. :) Always want something to look forward to. Wait a minute! The Pro, the zen, mid vent...I better start writing this down. :wacko:

Mitch
Mitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users