31 replies to this topic

#1 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

I went outside to fly (after school as usual) :) but I noticed something was different. While I was flying my duel line (with my largest weight attached) and flew 5 feet in the air. It hit me. The wind was a little stronger than usual. This was after I had put away my Rev 1.5 (I have nothing vented). While I was flying my favorite rev 1.5 (and my only). I noticed the kite was flying a little oddly. I glanced at the god of a kite to see what looked like a large wing wrap around the left side of the sail. When I landed it, I saw some green poking through the sail. I thought to my self "#&@$!" :o (fill in the blank(why is that a link?)) When I took a close look I saw....... well, the picture won't upload (stupid dial up)(I will upload it when I am at a spot with faster internet)....... but I saw a freakishly large rip in the sail. The rip was right along the seam. I have already contacted Ben and Lolly via e-mail. I just feal horrible letting this happen to my beloved kite (I call it the kite of doom because of it's red, black, and white color cheme). :( :(

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 blondie

blondie
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

the last time i had a rip in my kite was at nationals in Maryland and i was on the field flying and it riped i didnt notice it and it was on the seem so it was not able to be fixed but luckly it was the very last event i had to fly in i had already had bad luck with braking rods all week i brook so many it was so bad but we took lots of extras so i always had extras but i think i did run out of lower leading edges for it and i had to pull from a diffrent kite...

and the other time i had a kite rip it wasnt even my falt but it was my very first comp. kite and my sister was flying it and riped it when she hit the truck and i wasnt their so i didnt find out about it till the next time i went to fly but they had it fixed by then but it was really noticable and it still is!!

love always,
jenn

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:55 AM

watty dont let it bother you man ... stuff like that happens alot if your an everyday flier lolly has one of my 1.5 sails for screen repair and most of my kite have patches and i cant begin to tell you how many spars i go therugh.. lolly and the gang from rev are great people and i to was bummed when my screen ned repair but she was so great about it and and right there i knew thet the people from rev are the best to deal... you should have at least 3 1.5 kites so if one goes down you have a spare to play with untill your other one comes back ..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

[Ripped_Sail_2.JPG

This is a pic of the ungodly rip in my Rev 1.5 sail. :( :( :(

Spence "Watty" Watson

#5 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

I feel for you Watty. I had a guy run through my kite lines at the smithsonian kite festival. Snapped one of the lines before I could even get the kite in the air.

To top it off we had just traveled about two and a half hours to get there and it was my birthday.

I can't say it was my worst kite flying day ever because I never got the kite off the ground...

But, on a happy note my new B series vented arrived yesterday with some new line sets. I am hoping for a breeze this afternoon when I get off of work.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#6 blondie

blondie
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

yeah your not alone everyone gets rips.

my dad got me a kite for my b-day and he riped it before i even got it!!!

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

watty i got that beat when i get back home ill show you a pic of a 98 exp that i split in half by the screen so your not alone stuff like this happens just remember to get a few spare kites so your never empty when you want to get out there and fly

#8 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Am I weird? I have never broken a spar.

Hmm that is a seam rip... warranty??

#9 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

Am I weird? I have never broken a spar.

Well, in 10 years of flying revs, I think I have broken 1 maybe 2 rods?
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#10 blondie

blondie
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

i have broken more rods then ever!!! in maryland i thought that i was going to have to sing im a little tea pot in front of everyone!!! but a team that was their broke like 1 more rod then me i was sooo luckey

love always,
jenn

#11 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

watty dont let it bother you man ... stuff like that happens alot if your an everyday flier lolly has one of my 1.5 sails for screen repair and most of my kite have patches and i cant begin to tell you how many spars i go therugh.. lolly and the gang from rev are great people and i to was bummed when my screen ned repair but she was so great about it and and right there i knew thet the people from rev are the best to deal... you should have at least 3 1.5 kites so if one goes down you have a spare to play with untill your other one comes back ..

antman,
You mention your kite is back at Rev getting the screen repaired. My screen has seperated from the botttom in one place about 4". Is that the kind of repair you are having done? This kite has lots of hours on it, would it be worth while $$$$ wise?? <_<

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#12 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

im haveing the whole screen repaired due to many spots being ripped.. lolly has it and is fixing it as we speak in your case it depens on the shape of your sail.. the rev sails can last a long time if taken care of properly.. the screens however will wear in time from heavy use thats why i have a few 1.5 kites so if one goes back i have a spare

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

There two problems with this warrenty idea.
1. The rip was along the seem, not throught the stiches.
2. The kite was given to me by Ben and Lolly at WSIKF as a demo. So I don't know if it even has a warrenty.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

well i just got in from flying my vented ss and broke the leading edge thank god they come with a spare the winds were so bad by this point almost 35 mph when i finally broke it but ill tell you the kite can take a brutal wind thats for sure :lol: well time to go soak in the hottub for a while :rolleyes:

#15 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Lucky (about the hottub part..... not the breaking kite part.... that part is sad)

Spence "Watty" Watson

#16 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

well i just got in from flying my vented ss and broke the leading edge thank god they come with a spare the winds were so bad by this point almost 35 mph when i finally broke it but ill tell you the kite can take a brutal wind thats for sure :lol: well time to go soak in the hottub for a while :rolleyes:

What broke it? The wind or the sand? :lol:

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#17 Quad KiT

Quad KiT

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

yeah for real I have flown my SS vented in some high winds and never broken anything. That thing is a rock. Unless you pile drived it into a rock, then I can understand. Something's got to give and it's better that the rod gives than the material.

#18 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

yeah... the rods are easy to replace

Spence "Watty" Watson

#19 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

to answer all your questions it did hit sand the corner caught while in a speed sweep no biggie i got it up and running again

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

I went outside to fly (after school as usual) :) but I noticed something was different. While I was flying my duel line (with my largest weight attached) and flew 5 feet in the air. It hit me. The wind was a little stronger than usual. This was after I had put away my Rev 1.5 (I have nothing vented). While I was flying my favorite rev 1.5 (and my only). I noticed the kite was flying a little oddly. I glanced at the god of a kite to see what looked like a large wing wrap around the left side of the sail. When I landed it, I saw some green poking through the sail. I thought to my self "#&@$!" :o (fill in the blank(why is that a link?)) When I took a close look I saw....... well, the picture won't upload (stupid dial up)(I will upload it when I am at a spot with faster internet)....... but I saw a freakishly large rip in the sail. The rip was right along the seam. I have already contacted Ben and Lolly via e-mail. I just feal horrible letting this happen to my beloved kite (I call it the kite of doom because of it's red, black, and white color cheme). :( :(

That is real rough luck!
Did it rip the material or did the thread separate?

When I took my first REV (REV I) out for its first flight back around 1990 with me being new at REVs, a dog ran full speed at the REV, hit the sail and ripped the ripstop wide open on one side. It scared the dogs so much he ran off howling and the owner was no where to be seen. I patched it up with ripstop tape and sewed it. It flew well for the next year or so until I got my next REV I, being a SUL. They were the only REVs on the market at the time.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users