25 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

I want to buy a Rev 1 (probably a Sedgewick, unvented). I can't find any nearby stores to try or even look at one (nearest to St. Louis is Chicago, as best as I can tell). Neither have I run across anybody to let me try theirs. So even though the investment for a new one is relatively modest, I thought I would start by buying a used one. I regularly read in this forum about you selling and trading up kites, but where do you do that? Is there an on-line casbah for buying and selling Revs? Is it all done among friends, face to face? If it turns out to be a lot of trouble to save a couple bucks, I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and take my chances with a new one. I'm struggling in the weak winds of St. Louis with a Rev 2. I'm committed to learning to fly these things, but I have to be honest that I don't really know if it will be a significant piece of my all-consuming kite hobby. From what you all suggest, Revs will sweep away any other type of kite. Right now it's mostly spinning uncontrollably and bumping on the ground, with a few glimmers of real BRILLIANCE. I have benefitted greatly from John B's advice about winding lines, so it's no longer a struggle with knots and tangles (I'm satisfied with small advances). I need a low-wind stable kite to learn on, is my best guess.

So where do I get a used one, or should I just spend the money and jump in?

Mitch
Mitch

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Spending the money at a dealer on a new kite.Isnt just a kite purchase.Thers the advice and knowledge that dealer gives.The start of a new relationship.

A REAL LOVE AFAIR.....lol

Buy New,You can choose your coulor and frame then.Great kite the Sedgewick.Very rare to see one used for sale anywher.Whats the chances of one turning up in your frame and coulors.Then thers his/her idea of condition,versus your idea of condition.New is Best when unsure.Uless someone shout up with a goodn

Have a look at the Zen thread on here also.

Good Luck

BRIAN...

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

I have a Rev 2, well quite a few actually :-) One of them has a Race Rod set in it and it flies well in low winds. It is a bit of a special with a light leading edge, however will fly down to about 5mph for me. A decent flyer will fly it in lower wind still. One problem with a 2 is in light winds they are so light you loose feedback so can be difficult for a novice to fly (IMHO)

I also have a few Hot Sedgwicks, they are a dream to fly, have an assortment of Rods, with Race in in a light wind, well my kite of choice every time. Once again it is a bit of a different experience, with the deep V in the sail the "wings" fly much more as individuals. Supoer cool kites.

Then of course you could think about a B with light rods, you are much mor likely to pick one of those up second hand.

I do second Bri on the buy new if you can advice. You know what you are getting, and the support / advice is there. Even if you go for an on line purchase.

I still think best advice is try B4 you buy. Hopefully you will find that you get an offer of a try through this thread, you are more than welcome to try mine. You would have to come tome though, no matter how much I want to visit the US it is a no go just at the moment.

Best of luck, hope you get sorted out. You will LOVE the Sedg I am sure.

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

We have new Rev 1 Sedgwick's in stock in both the warm and cool color patterns.

#5 JeffD

JeffD
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:05 AM

From what you've said it seems like your trying to deal with low winds and basic skills with your next purchase.

I don't believe a rev 1 with the same weight rods and line will fly lower than a 1.5 B or 1.5 sul.

Learning on a 1.5, in the b series is the choice of many here. Seems like it might actually be easier. The 1 is slower and bigger with great looks but the 1.5 is less prone to the beginners dreaded bowtie flip.

People more experianced than me can set you right on this.

If the kite interest you mentioned includes dual lines I think a 1.5 would give you a more similar feel with speed and turns. Its faster than a 1 and not as fast as a 2.

Either way race rods will give you more wind range than two wrap which has been the standard for low end. They'll fly as low or lower maybe and certianly higher. Less prone to destruction by gust. It also makes new better because the races are fairly new and not as likely to be found used.

Same place you could get the Sedgwick - not knocking it by any means- could get you a 1.5 set up with the race rods.

Then you're looking at SUL or B series as probably best choices. SUL might get you a little bit lower and B series will get you wider range with raves about its flying. An sul might be a bit harder to learn on but somewhat less $.

Just saying I don't think you can say Rev 1 necesarily would be better for you than 1.5 of whatever flavor. Race rods on any are great if you can handle the moderate cost increase for the real increase in wind range.

Maybe this will get you more feedback and something to think about while you're getting ready to do it.

I don't recall a thread with the theme of "what's easier to learn on and keep flying in low wind - 1 or 1.5?" Think its a good question and there are people here who can answer from lots of experiance.

AWOC could certianly discuss all the ins and outs with you and get you sorted and happy. Rev has very knowledable retailers whoever you choose.

You also mentioned John B. You tube has about 1.34 million vids of him bringing out the best in both series. Search Relvolution kite Baressi.

The only problem is that your choices are between really good, really good and really good.

Sorry if I've thrown in any confusion but I've always felt that the buying choice is much of the fun and entertainment.

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

Some fair point and food for thought above.Some i would Normally question,but.....lifes to short

Speak with Kent[Awindofchange].

He will put the wind in ya sails.

BTW,Ive Never Bowtied a Sedgewick.Never.The rev 1 tends Not to Bowtie i find

BRIAN...

#7 UKTotty

UKTotty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

I just bought a used Rev1 from a guy in the USA for $75
Thought it was a pretty good deal, just awaiting delivery now!

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

:) ,Thers a few diffrent ones around.Which did ya get.Any damage,whats it spared in,any repairs done.Holes in sail,Venting still nice,is it Polly, Ripstop ,Mylar.Leading edge in good order,no fraying or taped holes.

No Mylar i hope.I dont like Mylar.

I bet its Pink :)

BRIAN...

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

AWOC could certianly discuss all the ins and outs with you and get you sorted and happy. Rev has very knowledable retailers whoever you choose.

You also mentioned John B. You tube has about 1.34 million vids of him bringing out the best in both series. Search Relvolution kite Baressi.

The only problem is that your choices are between really good, really good and really good.

Lots of good points, especially like the ones above, surely 1.34 million vids for JB is a bit underestimated.

A BIG yes to talk to Kent, or many other of the Rev retailers. As a for instance, you wont go far wrong with getting in touch with any of the shops advertised on the Kitelife web page.

As Jeff said, please dont think that getting a 1 will fix all your problems. And the problems might as easily be fixed by one of the 1.5 range.

I dont want to discourage you from getting a Sedg hough, you will not regret it, great flying Rev. The Hot is best of course.

#10 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:17 AM

I bought a used Rev 1 from the USA for 70, good deal, then add import, VAT, delivery presuming it is going by UK Mail, and the fact that it had a rip in the mesh when it arrived.

Honest mate, glad for you, hope it is a perfect one.

Bri is such a pessimist, I am sure it will be fine.

#11 UKTotty

UKTotty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

:) ,Thers a few diffrent ones around.Which did ya get.Any damage,whats it spared in,any repairs done.Holes in sail,Venting still nice,is it Polly, Ripstop ,Mylar.Leading edge in good order,no fraying or taped holes.

No Mylar i hope.I dont like Mylar.

I bet its Pink :)

BRIAN...

Wow Brian
So many questions!
Umm dunno yet, tell you what, when it arrives I will get a pic and no its not pink! :)

Russ

#12 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

Wow Brian
So many questions!
Umm dunno yet, tell you what, when it arrives I will get a pic and no its not pink! :)

Russ

Am teasing ya ,no harm ment at all ;) :) .

Its like saying.I bought a TV for 20.Thers a few diffrent TVs...lol

Im sure it will be a cracker.

Have a great weekend all

BRIAN,,,

#13 rmesm

rmesm
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hello all!! I have never flown a Rev!! Ever...however, I caught the fever to do so and I hope great minds think alike.. I, too purchased a used Rev 1 that looks new for $75... but no handles came with...
I got a great deal on handles from The Kiteshoppe; only $300!! and the handles came with B 1.5 kite and other goodies..Thanks to Watty for some advice and to Theresa at the Kiteshoppe for getting me set up. I am going to try the Rev 1 first ,expecting lots of crashing, tangles and general mayhem! So it begins... Wish me lots of luck, a fair amount wind and lots of patience as I give it a go this week end. Mark
Posted Image

#14 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hello all!! I have never flown a Rev!! Ever...however, I caught the fever to do so and I hope great minds think alike.. I, too purchased a used Rev 1 that looks new for $75... but no handles came with...
I got a great deal on handles from The Kiteshoppe; only $300!! and the handles came with B 1.5 kite and other goodies..Thanks to Watty for some advice and to Theresa at the Kiteshoppe for getting me set up. I am going to try the Rev 1 first ,expecting lots of crashing, tangles and general mayhem! So it begins... Wish me lots of luck, a fair amount wind and lots of patience as I give it a go this week end. Mark

:) ,Welcome Mark to a Happy Place.
Best of luck with your Rev 1.Let us all know how you go along.
Im sure you will.

GO FOR IT ;)

BRIAN...

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:13 AM

Wow, great responses and a lot to think about. You're right about it being a choice among attractive options. What really attracted my attention to Revs in the first place was the amazing graceful precision and I imagined that I could get a handle on that a little easier in low winds with a Sedgewick. The speed and snappyness I see in JB's vids is cool but I suspect that newbies like me want just a taste of it. Of course he (and I suspect most of you) has no problem getting precision out of a 1.5.

I don't know if the precision angle better informs this discussion. It seems like low wind range doesn't really distinguish Rev 1's from 1.5's. What separates them. I don't mind slow in the sky if I can get some early success in that sense of control of the kite. If there is no real diff, The B series does come with more rods and might be easier to carry in the car.

What do yo think?
Mitch

#16 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

IMHO, you will be better off with a 1.5. The low wind capabilities of any Rev only come out when there is a expierienced pilot at the helm. It takes practice and a fine touch that not every pilot gets right away. For your first flights you will want winds at 5-15 MPH, less or more and you will be fighting the kite and having frustration issues. A B series full sail is a great first kite, comes with spars that allow the widest wind range. That "speed and snappyness" you are seeing in the videos has a bit to do with the pilot, your first flights are going to feel cumbersome and ungainly, and look nothing like what John is doing. (he has only been flying Revs for 14 years or so.... ;) )
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

IMHO, you will be better off with a 1.5. The low wind capabilities of any Rev only come out when there is a expierienced pilot at the helm. It takes practice and a fine touch that not every pilot gets right away. For your first flights you will want winds at 5-15 MPH, less or more and you will be fighting the kite and having frustration issues. A B series full sail is a great first kite, comes with spars that allow the widest wind range. That "speed and snappyness" you are seeing in the videos has a bit to do with the pilot, your first flights are going to feel cumbersome and ungainly, and look nothing like what John is doing. (he has only been flying Revs for 14 years or so.... ;) )

Only 14 years! Who'd have pegged him for a greenhorn. I suppose it doesn't count what he's done in prior lives. I read that to be a real expert in something, you need about 10,000 hours of practice. Over 14 years, that's just 2 hours per day! Heck, I could do that! Thanks for the advice about low winds.

Do you need Race rods if you get a B, or does the combo of LE rods that it comes with cover that?

Mitch
Mitch

#18 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

if low wind is your objective

you're either waiting on the release of the Zen ( a Rev1 size kite but b-series styled)
or you're ordering a SUL B-series pro or not

either way you'll want the race frame option and 90# laserPro gold flying lines.

for learning I'd say 80 or 90 feet is an appropriate length

a nice steady 3 to 5 mph will give you a basis for practice,....
look for wide-open spaces, no trees or big buildings.

think small delicate movements and don't squeeze the handle's foam either!

good luck, we all started out looking for something to buy that will quickly allow for our improvement.
(Practice is FREE, but nobody ever follows that advise <LOL!>)

#19 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

For a beginner, racerods are not really a necessary item at first. The B series comes with the rods you will need get started with. Order it from a reputable dealer and make sure you get a line set with it. That will get you off the ground, worry about the extras (line sets of different lengths and weights, rods, pro handles, more kites, and on and on) after you have had a chance to fly with it and start to get to know it. Then you will be able to make more informed purchasing decisions at that time.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#20 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

Good advice Walt, dont forget to add a kite stake to the list, so you can easily do the self launch bit if you are on your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users