56 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thank you JB for holding back. I briefly mentioned a sentiment similar to those above to you at WSKIF and at the time you said the feedback overall had not been overwhelming one way or the other. I'm glad the people raised up the voices over here and more important than that , that you heard the cries and backed off for the time being.

Nice to know someone is listening! ;)

Well again, I do wish people had been a bit more vehement on Kitelife, at least to let me know the frequency of their visits had been so profoundly effected... This of course speaks for the general public and their reception of the forum at first glance, so it's very important to me, and the month to month well-being of my household.

So in the same hand, I'm taking the comments to heart here, and grudgingly coming to terms with the facts that have now come to light regarding the Kitelife forum changes.

Again, rest easy, stay tuned.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:35 AM

Please be assured that I for one, and I think I can speak for all that use the forum REALY appreciate all you put into it.

Bears are smart. Thanks JB, for providing this opportunity to feel like a worldwide community of flyers.

Edited by Scott_of_melnsct, 09 September 2009 - 07:36 AM.

Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#23 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:17 AM

Well again, I do wish people had been a bit more vehement on Kitelife, at least to let me know the frequency of their visits had been so profoundly effected... This of course speaks for the general public and their reception of the forum at first glance, so it's very important to me, and the month to month well-being of my household.

So in the same hand, I'm taking the comments to heart here, and grudgingly coming to terms with the facts that have now come to light regarding the Kitelife forum changes.

Again, rest easy, stay tuned.

Now I feel guilty. I did PM or email you with questions when kitelife changed and of course you responded right away with the answers. Point for John. My fault that I didn't respond back with a "not good enough."
I will take this opertunity to put put what I like best on the Rev forum. Perhaps others will do the same. I stay signed on at home so when I click on my shortcut it goes directly to the page which shows any post made that I haven't read. (as if I have clicked "view new post") When I am not at home I goto the rev.com/main page and look at the "latest forum post"
I feel like even if I miss a day or two I can alway stay current on what my Rev brothers and sisters are up to. I guess it's kind of like a soap opera, you get vested in the different storylines and don't want to miss anything. :P

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#24 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

Please be assured that I for one, and I think I can speak for all that use the forum REALY appreciate all you put into it. If change is needed then change there should be.

One of he BEST reasons I cam possibly see for an upgrade is to make it easier for YOU to sort out and administer, with all the help you get from the other admin folks of course.

The point of this mail it to say a HUGE thank you to you and the others whose work go's on in the background. Especially for listening. Look forward to how things go. Hope to spend many more Years with all my Brothers and Sisters on here.

Yes, absolutely, thanks for your work and for listening to the feedback. I know that early on I had commented that I wasn't too crazy about the change at Kitelife, but that I'd give it a chance. I didn't come back and comment further later, however, as I just figured once it was changed, it would be too much to change it again. Plus, being primarily a quad flier, I still have the Rev forum where I spend a bit more time as it is. So, still having options, I take the path of least resistance, so to speak.

It's funny, it's not that there is a whole lot that is specifically "bad" about the new layout, but there is something that makes it a bit different to navigate than all the other forums I'm used to. It's partially the visuals, partially the placement of things, it's not completely definable, but it's kind of like that feeling when you get behind the wheel of a rental car that is different from your own, and you just never quite get used to the differences.

In the end, I'll still come to this forum whatever the format or layout, but I appreciate your taking the time to evaluate different options.
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

Now I feel guilty. I did PM or email you with questions when kitelife changed and of course you responded right away with the answers. Point for John. My fault that I didn't respond back with a "not good enough."
I will take this opertunity to put put what I like best on the Rev forum. Perhaps others will do the same. I stay signed on at home so when I click on my shortcut it goes directly to the page which shows any post made that I haven't read. (as if I have clicked "view new post") When I am not at home I goto the rev.com/main page and look at the "latest forum post"
I feel like even if I miss a day or two I can alway stay current on what my Rev brothers and sisters are up to. I guess it's kind of like a soap opera, you get vested in the different storylines and don't want to miss anything. :P

I believe that facet was addressed in this post... ?

http://kitelife.com/...dpost__p__22282

Essentially, you can change your settings so that "view new content" on KL behaves just like "view new posts" does here on the Rev forum.

If not, please clarify, I am very interested. ;)

Thanks for the addendum.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#26 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

Yes, absolutely, thanks for your work and for listening to the feedback. I know that early on I had commented that I wasn't too crazy about the change at Kitelife, but that I'd give it a chance. I didn't come back and comment further later, however, as I just figured once it was changed, it would be too much to change it again. Plus, being primarily a quad flier, I still have the Rev forum where I spend a bit more time as it is. So, still having options, I take the path of least resistance, so to speak.

It's funny, it's not that there is a whole lot that is specifically "bad" about the new layout, but there is something that makes it a bit different to navigate than all the other forums I'm used to. It's partially the visuals, partially the placement of things, it's not completely definable, but it's kind of like that feeling when you get behind the wheel of a rental car that is different from your own, and you just never quite get used to the differences.

In the end, I'll still come to this forum whatever the format or layout, but I appreciate your taking the time to evaluate different options.

Aye, what we're seeing is a gradual shift (industry-wide) to a more robust aesthetic, more like actual computer software, that also enables administrators to display more content on central pages and offers enhanced features.

I'm all for it and have been taking the learning curve just fine, I LOVE the new format myself, but I do have the advantage of working with these kinds of scripts on the day to day, both inside and out.

Still listening... The more I know about what doesn't work for y'all, the more enabled I am to keep it how you like it. ;)

John Barresi

#27 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Aye, what we're seeing is a gradual shift (industry-wide) to a more robust aesthetic...

Yes, I can see that. I think that's a tougher shift for me to make. When it comes to a discussion forum, I like functional and organized over aesthetic. Now, it's just my personal preference, but I have time for one example here...

Here's a view of pages at both forums after clicking for New Posts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know it makes me an old fogey, but I like the tighter and more organized look of the Rev forum.

I like the tabular look of the topics and the fields for each. I like the background that sets it apart from the page, and clearly separates each topic with a contrasting line. I like the clear orange marker that shows which ones have posts I haven't read yet. I like the compactness that allows more content to be viewed on the page. I like that the hyperlinks are clearly indicated with the traditional underline.

I feel like the new format is trying to look more like a paper document instead of a web page, which can have benefits, but...

I don't like the wasted space where it tells me how many new entries there are. I don't like the amount of white space because it fails to contrast the content with the page background. The stats are combined in one column, but that only increases the vast white space by saving one column. The page is unbalanced with that larger gap. I don't like that the hyperlinks are not instantly visible. I don't have that visual that tells me what I can click on for more information. It's harder to see what has posts I've already read. In the screen cap above, I've already followed the third topic, and the folder icon is very slightly faded, but that's all the indication I have. Also, unless I just haven't found it, there is no "go to first unread post" icon in the new forum when you use the "View New Content" search. There is a "go to last post."

Also, in the old format, there is a dropdown at the bottom of the page of new content that allows you to change the time span on active topics right from there, and that's not available on the new one.

Anyway, that's a few observations of mine on one particular page. ;)

#28 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

...Also, unless I just haven't found it, there is no "go to first unread post" icon in the new forum when you use the "View New Content" search. There is a "go to last post."

Upon further investigation, it appears that the topic name itself in the View New Content results has the functionality of going to the first unread post. But then, the Rev forum allows you to go either to post #1 by clicking the topic name, or the first unread by clicking the orange icon. I like having the option. Sometimes, if the thread isn't fresh in my mind, I like to go to the first post, other times, just to the first unread...

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

Yes, I can see that. I think that's a tougher shift for me to make. When it comes to a discussion forum, I like functional and organized over aesthetic.

*snip*

Anyway, that's a few observations of mine on one particular page. ;)

Superb posts sir, very clear and constructive, bring it on! :D

I understand what you're saying and agree for the most part... Ideally, I'd like to get a layout like the Rev forum uses now, with the added sideboxes on the forum index (font/style matching with the rest of the forum), tabbed new content items (gallery, members, etc) and other features that don't have an influence on the template layout.

Your post has been quoted in my current discussion with the folks at Invision, I hope that it will go a long way toward getting something made that combines the best of both worlds.

Again, any such trials will be done over at Kitelife, I'll make sure everyone here has a chance to be involved. :)

John Barresi

#30 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

but I like the tighter and more organized look of the Rev forum.

agreed

I'm not against the new forum. My only gripe is that things seem just a bit too big and bubbly. I'd just prefer a tight, clean look where I can see more on one screen.

Maybe there is a setting option for this in the forum?

I don't like the amount of white space because it fails to contrast the content with the page background.

That's what it is! I knew there was something different but couldn't figure out exactly what.

but all in all I think the biggest item for me is it doesn't show as much info on one screen, which makes things take longer.

#31 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Making headway folks, just got wind of a "classic" skin for the new forum version...

Trying to see if it's available yet, will test on Kitelife soon as I have it. ;)

John Barresi

#32 JD

JD

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

OOooooo Classic you say?

#33 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

As long as your talking to Invision ask them about an RSS feed for the last 5-10 post.

Why not ask for the gold? May get a few silver coins anyway.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#34 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

As long as your talking to Invision ask them about an RSS feed for the last 5-10 post.

Why not ask for the gold? May get a few silver coins anyway.

Is this not it?

http://www.revkites....act=rssout&id=1

Found in the far bottom left corner of forum pages, choice of forum or calendar. ;)

==

FYI, the classic skin is in beta stage right now, so I'm able to get in on discussions before it goes live... YAY!

John Barresi

#35 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

Is this not it?

Found in the far bottom left corner of forum pages, choice of forum or calendar. ;)

The thing about the RSS feed...it doesn't include the content of the post. It's just a link back to the forum.

#36 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Is this not it?

==

FYI, the classic skin is in beta stage right now, so I'm able to get in on discussions before it goes live... YAY!

when did that happen.. NICE

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#37 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

I feel like I'm the only one that likes the upgrade on Kitelife. I never used the "view new posts" thing any way, I just look for a color change of the icons on the forum home page. I think that the upgraded version looks very nice, and I like how there are pictures and such seen on the forum main page.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#38 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

I never used the "view new posts" thing any way, I just look for a color change of the icons on the forum home page.

Why drill through all the forums to discover new posts when a single click puts them all on a page?

Everything's personal preference of course, but that kind of efficiency is huge for me. If I have to spend time discovering the content manually, I won't do it as often.

#39 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:37 AM

Why drill through all the forums to discover new posts when a single click puts them all on a page?

Everything's personal preference of course, but that kind of efficiency is huge for me. If I have to spend time discovering the content manually, I won't do it as often.

I do this because I have never come across a forum that does not work this way. I frequent many different forums using many different engines, and this method has never failed me.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#40 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

I do this because I have never come across a forum that does not work this way. I frequent many different forums using many different engines, and this method has never failed me.

Sure, I visit upwards of 20 different forums on different subjects myself. Yes, they all work this way, that's how a bulletin board is arranged, but they all also include the efficiency of one-click discovery of new content as well. I couldn't imagine how long it would take to hunt through them manually when there's an easier option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users