Higher winds with standard 1.5B

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CobraGeek

CobraGeek
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

I just received my new 1.5B (full sail) last week and took it to the beach on Saturday. It was a great day for flying, but the winds were a little stronger that I would've liked for first flights (I'm guessing around 15-20mph). But I decided to go for it anyway and just be extra careful. I used the 2 and 3 wrap LE's together and 3 wrap verticals and it worked quite well and a I seccessfully didn't break anything :-).

I do have a tuning question for you experts. I could do amazing hovers and slow forward and reverse flight, but when trying to go forward just a bit more than "slow", the sail would catch all the wind and zip and full speed and try to yank me off my feet. There was some "cliff" and if I went forward any faster than "slow", it was instantly "full speed".

I'm sure the best soltuion for this is a full vented sail, but that's out of the question for a while. Is there some adjustment or flying tip to help smooth out this speed control "cliff" so I don't fall off?

Thanks for all your help and advice over the past few weeks (and for all those that I talked with at WSIKF)!
Bret

#2 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like you might need more brake. If you haven't done so already, try to relegate yourself to using only the closest knot to the handles on the bottom, and letting the top lines out until you can easily take off backwards and gain altitude. This will prevent your kite from being able to go nutso fast to a good extent. It will also give you more play between full-speed and moderately-fast.

However, standards do generally get really fast in the upper wind ranges, and past a certain point there's not much you can do to rein in all that forward speed. I generally switch to vented when the winds are above 15. Since you won't have that option for a while, an excellent way to handle high-high winds with a standard is to hang out nearer to the edges of the window than the center, especially when you feel big gusts coming along. Also, when the wind picks up really really high, a good thing to do sometimes is to let off the brake lines entirely. This will cause the sail to flatten out and the kite will float on top of the big gust, generating almost no pull at all. Once the gust is over, just take the brakes back in and fly normally.
kairusan

#3 CobraGeek

CobraGeek
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Kairusan. Adding a bit more brake does seems to make some sense. Adding a bit more brake to the "neutral" position of the handles should help make it easier to finely tune the forward speed. I had the handles setup as I believed was recommended in the excellent video with the kit: The lower lines on the last knot (farthest from handle) and the top lines on the 4th from the last knot (about midpoint in the options). Next time I'm in strong wind I'll try moving the brake line back and maybe even letting out the top line.

I did practice my vertical hovers at the edges of the wind as you suggested. It was much easier to keep things under control. I also discovered your suggestion about letting the brake lines out completely and getting the kite directly over head during gusts. Nice trick.

Even with the strong winds and full sail, the kite flew amazingly well. Even when it hit warp speed, it was still controlled, just harder for a beginner to handle. Great kites :-).

Thanks,
Bret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users