Callingwood kite festival

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe thekiteguy

Joe thekiteguy
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

We had a one day festival in Edmonton Bartman and my mom and dad were there. heres a video, hope you all like it. B)

world famous, Joe.

#2 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

Excellent stuff Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I flew with your dad at WSIKF and was complimenting him then on your previous flights.
You are getting better second by second.
Clearly you have a great future ahead of you with Revs.

Watty, Ian, Connor, Tristan.......watch out!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#3 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

Wooo Hooooo! Go Joe! :clap;

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#4 bake

bake
  • Forum Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

Nicely done Joe!
What could possibly go wrong?

#5 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

You guys want to know the really annoying part? At least for me anyway. He was doing inverted launches by about the third time out. Took me countless attempts to get something working there!

Bart

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:05 AM

Bart,
like the rest of us, . . .... you were probably "over-thinking" your responses and providing too much control input!

My first quad lesson is to roll the kite over from an inverted position where it started from on the ground (cartwheel). It's the position the kite winds up in after impacting mother earth (a crash?) That motion gets your brain wrapped around the individual controls of each handle and also means I don't have to stand down wind and keep turning a kite over as learning progresses. From that step most folks are just in awe about the control aspects of a Rev kite, no walk of shame!

Next we will work on the inverted launch by walking backwards and s-l-o-w-l-y pushing our thumbs at the kite. In the beginning it's about enough rise to fly out of that position going forward again. Eventually we will work on holding the kite in an inverted position and backing it up higher and higher.

These steps teach gentle control and tiny movements to effect action on the kite's two halves. Everybody looks great in a steady 8 mph off of the ocean. You need to learn how the wind behaves in less than ideal conditions to improve your flying skill set quickly! If the new pilot flies out to the edge, what happens? You may need to move your body location to get the kite back down wind enough to create lift & flight. Now you are learning field management and about the wind window. I have seen students look very impressive inside of the first 15 minutes on the controls. Little kids are the best quad students! They want to "get it" and will focus intently on your advise. You can reach around them easily too and add inputs over the tops of their little hands. Big people think they know what to do already, .... it looks so easy when the teacher demonstrates something anyway. They aren't developing the feel, they squeeze and choke the poor handles wanting to force the kite to match their mental picture. A test of wills! For most new pilots the kite is more of a dancing partner until the controls are automatic thru muscle memory. Then you can place the kite into any position and hold it there almost magically.

I know the frustration of watching somebody look controlled in the first minutes of flight. I spent two years before I knew you could equalize the flying lines and adjust the brake tuning! A coach makes the learning process pretty painless. Their equipment is all perfectly tuned and appropriate for the current conditions the moment it is offered for a lesson.

Kids do learn things easier than adults though, regardless of the activities. They just can't afford the price of admission, so you have to hook the parental-units also!

Edited by REVflyer, 10 September 2009 - 03:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users